RoadBikeReview Member

New saddle for my SLR, carbon rails...

Got a new saddle for my SLR01 after trashing my Fizik Antares in a crash: Williams Aurora, 150 gm on my scale and flat front to back and side to side, just the way my butt likes it.

On installation, I took a close look at the Streampost rail clamps and found they had some very slight burrs on the edges along where they clamped the rails, generally a no-no for carbon rails. I cleaned these up with some jewelers files finishing with 600 grit paper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New saddle for my SLR, carbon rails...-p4240317.jpg   New saddle for my SLR, carbon rails...-p4240315.jpg  
    Last edited by looigi; 04-24-2012 at 05:34 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Looks good. Let us know how it feels in a few weeks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I have got the same saddle, I havn't found exactly where to sit on this saddle as I can sit back and forth, maybe that is the point, it doesn't seem to disappear for me completely but I have ridden 8 hours and 115 miles in one day. Would like to see what you think.

Fierce Pancake
    Very nice looking, Looigi. Post some pics of the whole setup too, please!
    Last edited by qatarbhoy; 04-25-2012 at 09:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Poast of the Day™.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qatarbhoy View Post
    Very nice looking, Looigi. Post some pics of the whole setup too, please!
    Will do as soon as I fix the right shifter and get the bars wrapped. Still waiting on a part.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got the shifter part and fixed it. Here's an overall shot with the new Williams saddle and bar tape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New saddle for my SLR, carbon rails...-williams-saddle-tape.jpg  
    Last edited by looigi; 04-28-2012 at 04:51 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    You may have heard of me saying the SLR is sometimes jarring ride, can you let me know if this saddle made your bike SEEM more uncomfortable?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Perhaps. I hadn't given any thought as to how this saddle might affect the ride. I chose it first because it was the shape I was looking for and then because it was very light and relatively inexpensive. And it's mmmm c-a-r-b-o-n. (like Homer says donuts) I have ridden it and it's tough to say if it's any different from my previous saddles with actually changing them out and riding them back to back over the same route, tire pressure, etc.. I'll also say I wouldn't characterize the ride as jarring. I find it falls somewhere between the super plush Ti bike I have and my '04 Specialized Roubaix. I've ridden a few other bikes, but not to the extend that I could make a meaningful comparison.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have been wantin that saddle for awhile based only on its looks and weight, stupid i know. I currently ride a selle san marco ponza i think, and am not really impressed. It came stock on the bike. I was happier with a stock cheap Felt saddle on my first road bike, although it was more thin and flat like your williams saddle. I think I might have to give in and buy one, cant be any worse than my current saddle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Sorry to hear you were in a crash, what happened?
    Looks like you just needed a new derailleur hanger and a new saddle?

RoadBikeReview Member
    How is the saddle working out?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Any issues clamping the oval saddle rails? They show 7x9mm, and I'm looking at getting a Selle Italia SLR with the same dimensions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Hi'

My Teammachine is equipped with a Sella Italia Flite Kit Carbonic without problems. For picture please see thread "Let's see some BMC! page 26

(Sorry, this not to hijack your post, just answering the question od Sella Italia carbon rails).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneedragon View Post
    Any issues clamping the oval saddle rails? They show 7x9mm, and I'm looking at getting a Selle Italia SLR with the same dimensions.
    I have a Selle Italia SLR Superflow and it's miles ahead in terms of comfort from my Fizik Arione Carbon.

My Fizik's Carbon rail failed even with extreme anal care. Also, it was way off their 159g claim. It scaled on 177g.

The Superflow was off by only 5g. The rails on the Selle are beefy too! No need to get a different seatpost.

This is my second Selle Italia and it never failed me.

I would personally stay away from carbon rails. That's just me though.