RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

2001 Daytona to Centaur carbon crank swap

I currently have 170mm aluminum cranks on my Bianchi XL Boron frame. I'd like to switch to 172.5mm cranks and figure why not go carbon at the same time. Does anyone know if I the arms (assuming they are the square taper model) and chainwheels are interchangeable? What's the deal with the Ultra Torgue cranks/bottom bracket? Would I be better off with that setup? Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the similar situation and decided to stick with the old system. I found a carbon chorus square taper crankset that used a bottom bracket from my vast collection. I do not see why your chainrings would not transfer, too.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"She loves to limbo. That much is clear. She's got the right dynamic for the New Frontier"

cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kendoo
    I currently have 170mm aluminum cranks on my Bianchi XL Boron frame. I'd like to switch to 172.5mm cranks and figure why not go carbon at the same time. Does anyone know if I the arms (assuming they are the square taper model) and chainwheels are interchangeable? What's the deal with the Ultra Torgue cranks/bottom bracket? Would I be better off with that setup? Thanks
    I've got a Daytona 10 sp and bought one of the closeout Centaur CF cranks at Nashbar. It's still sitting in the box. As far as square taper goes try to get a Centaur CF crank, almost the same as Chorus and way cheaper. You can reuse your BB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    centaur carbon doubles take a 111mm spindle, unlike the chorus/record 102mm. your daytona cranks almost certainly use a 111mm as well, so you should be fine there.

the new cranks will come with rings, no? why switch? the teflon 'ultradrive' rings on the older centaur carbon cranks are very nice!

'ultratorque' is campy's external bearing bottom bracket setup. you will need cranks and BB cups. lighter and stiffer than a square taper setup, rumors of poor bearing life, significantly higher cost than a $100 closeout centaur.