LA CHEVRE

Question 2002 Record rear derailleur max cog size

Campy experts, I found some info on more recent groups but as I'm building a bike with old parts I have laying around, I wondered if a 2002 Record (10 speed) short cage rear derailleur would be able to deal with a 13-29 cassette... Did the derailleur geometry changed to allow the bigger cassettes or will I be okay? I'll have a single chainring so the derailleur capacity will be fine... just wondering if the upper pulley can clear the 29t cog...

DAN GEROUS

: ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Campy experts, I found some info on more recent groups but as I'm building a bike with old parts I have laying around, I wondered if a 2002 Record (10 speed) short cage rear derailleur would be able to deal with a 13-29 cassette... Did the derailleur geometry changed to allow the bigger cassettes or will I be okay? I'll have a single chainring so the derailleur capacity will be fine... just wondering if the upper pulley can clear the 29t cog...
    The 2004 Record RD, short cage version, can *barely* clear a 27t cog. Does this help?

RoadBikeReview Member
    for short cage 10 spd RD the official Campy answer is on p 45 of the 2010 manual http://www.campagnolo.com/repository...L_UK-07-09.pdf

and is that the max sprocket on the short cage is 26 with max takeup of 30 teeth (which I've found to be correct).
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

LA CHEVRE
    Thanks a lot guys, very helpful.

DAN GEROUS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Short cage accepts 29t without any issues. Been doing it on a couple of different bikes for years.............

With a 53 - 39 it will just survive in the 53x29 and not break but try not to do it too often.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008

Here's How It Looks In 39 x 29

Also used it with a 50 - 34 and a 12 - 29
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2002 Record rear derailleur max cog size-mxl.jpg  

LA CHEVRE
    I guess I'll try it. Since I will only have one chainring, the cage length will have no issues taking the minimal chain slack. The upper pulley to 29t cog clearance is my concern, might depend of my frame's dropout geometry too...

DAN GEROUS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    I guess I'll try it. Since I will only have one chainring, the cage length will have no issues taking the minimal chain slack. The upper pulley to 29t cog clearance is my concern, might depend of my frame's dropout geometry too...
    That's the thing most interweb experts who swear it works overlook. Some frames have a slightly longer drop to the fixing bolt, so allowing the 29 to work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimobici View Post
    That's the thing most interweb experts who swear it works overlook. Some frames have a slightly longer drop to the fixing bolt, so allowing the 29 to work.
    Don't listen to the naysayers with no practical experience in the matter. As far as I am aware the dimension from the fixing bolt centre to the top pulley centre is identical on all three cage lengths. I have used the short cage / 29t on the following frames with equal success:

Colnago C50
    Colnago MXL
    Willier Izoard
    Gios Compact Pro
    Concorde Squadra

LA CHEVRE
    Well, if anyone wants to know, it works fine. Old short cage Record rear derailleur, 11-29 cassette, 40T single chainring.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 03-13-2013 at 07:18 PM.

DAN GEROUS