RoadBikeReview Member

2008 Veloce Ergopower shifter question...

I have a 2008 Veloce groupset on my vintage Bianchi. Front derailleur shifts very nicely and accurate. I have no issues with it. HOWEVER, I have a question:

When I shift up from the 34 to 50 chainring all is well. The derailleur moves as designed no problems at all. HOWEVER, on the way down from the 50 to the 34 chainring there is a loud "click", and the front derailleur shifts the chain down with no issues.

I have a 2008 Chorus 10 Speed on my SEVEN and the front derailleur shift from the 50 to 34 chainring does not have the loud "click". It is much more quiet and not as 'snappy'.

Don't take me wrong - I fully realize this is probably the difference between Veloce and Chorus, but does this sound about right? Or is something amiss with the brifter mechanism?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

info..

The 2008 Veloce shifters have the crappy (IMO) escape mechanism that uses a single click to shift from the big ring to the little ring. Apparently you haven't noticed that it requires 4 clicks, but only one push of the thumb button, to move the Chorus FD all the way to the left and onto the little ring.

With the Chorus shifter, you can push the thumb button throughonly one click and it will trim the FD cage to the left, from the big ring position.

The escape mechanism is not as easy to trim as the higher level shifters and Campy has all but abandoned it.

All of the 2009 shifters have the new ultrashift mechanism, although there is also a 2009 Veloce escape shifter sold. I can't imagine anone buying it when the new Veloce ultrashift is available. It looks like the escape mechanism has finally died, since it is no longer mentioned with the Veloce groupset for 2010.

RoadBikeReview Member

What to do?

Thank you for the reply. This is very good info.

Yes I have noticed the four clicks going up. What I meant with that working well was that it shifted OK. I just don't care much for the way it shifts down.

So what is one to do? I agree this might not be the best setup but would be a good alternative? What would be the next best thing to get shifterwise that would still get along with the rest of my components? I reckon there is not 'enhancement' that can be made or is it? Can the shifter ring be changed out with say, Chorus parts?

just wondering... thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

info...

Each shifter works that way that is intended. You can't change either one. I prefer the 2009 ultrashift lever over either one and switched all of my bikes over to them.