RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

2010 Campagnolo Ultra Shift lever failure after 24,000 miles

After 24,000 miles over 5 years I wore out something in my NOS 2010 Campagnolo Centaur Carbon Ultra Shift right shift lever, most probably the EC-SR037 shift paddle return spring. That's 10-12 cable replacements with right shift cables breaking around 2200 miles and a pro-active 2000 mile replacement interval.

Shifting to smaller cogs worked normally. Without monkeying with the lever it wouldn't shift to any cog larger than the third smallest. Pulling up on the lever while shifting allowed accessing the whole cassette, although it had to be pushed back to its normal resting position to allow full movement of the brake lever.

Fortunately I procured spare NOS levers for this eventuality before the supply dried up.

Who else has worn out Ultra Shift levers? What broke? How long did that take, preferably expressed in terms of cable replacements which should also be proportional to number of shifts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    My Record 10 right lever went at about 15-17K miles. The downshift (large) lever simply doesn't catch anything. It turned out to be a return spring, very common US failure. I found it on Amazon for few bucks and was a quick repair.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    My Record 10 right lever went at about 15-17K miles. The downshift (large) lever simply doesn't catch anything. It turned out to be a return spring, very common US failure. I found it on Amazon for few bucks and was a quick repair.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately, Campagnolo stopped selling small parts for Ultra Shift levers in 2009.

They replaced the G-springs with ball bearings contacting shift detents on top of coil springs that could last indefinitely, and I was hoping the rest of the levers had been reworked for longevity. Too bad that doesn't seem to be the case.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I went to Record EPS last year after about 10 yrs and 35K+ miles on that R10 spd groupset. I'm more than satisfied with the ROI. Let's​ see how long these EPS buttons last.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
    Unfortunately, Campagnolo stopped selling small parts for Ultra Shift levers in 2009.

They replaced the G-springs with ball bearings contacting shift detents on top of coil springs that could last indefinitely, and I was hoping the rest of the levers had been reworked for longevity. Too bad that doesn't seem to be the case.

In fairness....24K miles is a hell of alot of miles.

TBH, when I think about the lack of repair parts and the USA cost of consumables...I'm probably going to go to Shimano or SRAM eTap on my Seven roadie when my 2015 Chorus kicks the bucket. Although I'm surprised you only got 2000ish miles out of cables. I have 10K+ (per Strava) miles on my 2015 Chorus and have only changed cables once.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    I changed my 2009 SR right shifter body for a 2014 R two years ago, mostly because of the 2009's lack of tactility. Early C11 was a wee bit Shimanoesque in feel.

As for cables I change once a year, say every 7500 km. It's a climate thing too. When I take the bike out in march there's still a bit of salt around, so I make the change early May. It's like getting a new drive train every time.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.