Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    900

    best site for campy pricing?

    I saw a post that mentioned athena for $600 or so and chorus for $900ish. I thought is was ribble but the prices dont match. where is the best place to get it?
    3 road bikes, 2 MTB, 1 CX and 1 Fatbike....for now

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kmak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    270
    I bought my Campy from velomine.com. But call them on the phone. Great service, great everything.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: headloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Donn12 View Post
    I saw a post that mentioned athena for $600 or so and chorus for $900ish. I thought is was ribble but the prices dont match. where is the best place to get it?
    Sometimes the quoted price you see is based on a sale price or coupon code, Ribble frequently has 20% off sales. Sometimes the group is cheaper as a set while other times it is cheaper to buy each component individually.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Adrianinkc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    77
    Ribble has a code right now for 10% for shimano and campagnolo "sale 10"

    I have never ordered anything from ribble is there an import tax or any other surprise charge ?

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bikerjulio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,679
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianinkc View Post
    Ribble has a code right now for 10% for shimano and campagnolo "sale 10"

    I have never ordered anything from ribble is there an import tax or any other surprise charge ?
    Certainly Ribble has had Chorus groups in the $900 range and Athena in the $500 range in the recent past.

    Click both "currency" and "destination" to show the price without VAT (their 20% sales tax).

    Interestingly, their "group" pricing seems no better than buying the individual components. So for instance one could buy Chorus shifters and crankset, everything else Athena, and a KMC chain, and arrive at a price somewhere in the middle.

    See also my price comparison here: Velomine-dot-com? why am i finding their prices FAR BELOW

    Not sure about the US for import duties, but I believe they are not normally charged.
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 01-04-2014 at 04:13 AM.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

    One.

    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: headloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Not sure about the US for import duties, but I believe they are not normally charged.
    Based on threads I've seen here, and in other forums... it seems like it's hit/miss with import duties. I've never seen a definitive answer. I've yet to make an order there myself.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    31
    You might look at Cycle Premier. I have purchased from them and they had very competitive pricing.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    58
    I have never had to pay import duties on my purchases from Ribble. *knocks wood* Bought 1 Chorus, 1 Record, and 2 Super Record groupsets from them so far. Shipping is pretty fast (4-5 business days for US East Coast) if you make a larger purchase. Can take 2-3 weeks for smaller purchases.
    I've shopped around a lot and still always come back to Ribble during their sales.
    Lynskey Helix Disc 2014 ML/Brushed/Etched / Enve Disc
    Campagnolo SR 11 / OverTorque Ultra
    Zipp 303 FC / King R45 / Conti GP4000s
    Zipp SL70 Ergo 44 / Ritchey WCS 4-Axis UD Carbon 12
    Lynskey Ti / Selle Italia SLR Superflow 145
    Look Keo Blade
    17.5 lbs

    Lynskey R340 2012 ML/Brushed/Etched / Enve 2.0
    Campagnolo SR 11
    Zipp 303 FC / Conti GP4000s
    Zipp CSL 44/3T ARX Team Black 12
    Lynskey Ti / Selle Italia SLR Superflow 145
    Look Keo Blade Ti
    16.4 lbs

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: primov8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    141
    +1 with Ribble's prices and discount codes when available. I've bought all my Campy related components from Ribble; everything from Chorus 11, SR11, SR11-EPS and even a Khamsin G3 wheelset. All shipped to NYC within less than 5 business days and haven't had to pay any import duties or taxes.
    Just recently, the Comp Ultra, Comp One cranksets, Over-torque bottom brackets and proprietary tool I ordered were delivered and this was the first time it actually took more than 5 days to deliver. But I did place the order the Friday before Christmas and it sat in "International Sort Facility" at JFK for almost 3 days.

    My De Rosa Merak frameset, which I bought from Wiggle back in 2012 was also delivered via USPS EMS. No taxes, import duties, fees and delivered in 3 days.
    2012 Ridley Noah Pro / SR11-EPS
    ??? / SR11-EPS

    V8s all day.

  10. #10
    Matnlely Dregaend
    Reputation: DrSmile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,670
    It depends on the sale. I've bought Campy from Ribble, ProBikeKit, ShinyBikes, and ChainReactionCycles. TotalCycling had a great deal on an Athena group with carbon UT cranks, but the only one they have left is 53/39 / 172,5mm, and only with alloy levers. Even US vendors have some Campy deals every now and then, I recently bought a SR cassette for under $200 shipped from Nashbar.
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." - Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Genuine Campagnolo Spares - Inserts for Dura Ace pattern brake shoes." - PBK

  11. #11
    classiquesklassieker
    Reputation: orange_julius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,068
    Quote Originally Posted by headloss View Post
    Based on threads I've seen here, and in other forums... it seems like it's hit/miss with import duties. I've never seen a definitive answer. I've yet to make an order there myself.
    It depends on the carrier: USPS almost never charges import duty, while FedEx and UPS almost always do. If you search around, many have shared their experience in making a claim against FedEx/UPS to recover the import duty, but why bother with the extra hassle when you can just go USPS.

    Further hint: when ordering from the UK, the standard option is usually Royal Mail which partners with USPS on the US side.

    If I were shopping for Campa stuff -- me being in the US -- I would check UK/France pricing, and then call Velomine. Velomine are fantastic and easy to deal with. Then you can make up your mind whether the price difference is worth the hassle of dealing with cross-Atlantic shipping and potential warranty.

    I have never had to deal with warranty, well it's Campa, right? .

  12. #12
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,855
    Quote Originally Posted by headloss View Post
    Based on threads I've seen here, and in other forums... it seems like it's hit/miss with import duties. I've never seen a definitive answer. I've yet to make an order there myself.
    I've ordered a ton of stuff from Ribble, including 3 Campy groups and never paid and duty. The stuff always shows up in less than a week. Some tips I've learned --

    1. Sometimes the prices they quote have VAT (value added tax) of around 20%. If you put what you want in your basket and check out, the VAT will be taken out when you enter your mailing address (I assume you're in the U.S.).

    2. Sometimes buying parts individually is cheaper than buying the group. Try it out both ways.

    3. Sales often don't apply to groups, but they do apply to individual components, so on the case of a sale (usually its 10% off), you need to buy your group individually to get the discount.

    Ribble is tyhe best deal on Campy that I've found. They're prices are consistently low. Wait for a sale and go for it (I believe there's one going on now).

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bikerjulio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,679
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post

    1. Sometimes the prices they quote have VAT (value added tax) of around 20%. If you put what you want in your basket and check out, the VAT will be taken out when you enter your mailing address (I assume you're in the U.S.).
    Not quite right.

    The convention in the UK when shopping is that the price shown always includes VAT, the current rate being 20% on most things.

    If the item is being shipped outside the EU, then the VAT is not payable and should be deducted by the seller. That's why on the UK sites it's helpful to click both "currency" and "destination" tabs to show estimated price without VAT in $US, $CAN or whatever.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

    One.

    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

  14. #14
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,855
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Not quite right.

    The convention in the UK when shopping is that the price shown always includes VAT, the current rate being 20% on most things.

    If the item is being shipped outside the EU, then the VAT is not payable and should be deducted by the seller. That's why on the UK sites it's helpful to click both "currency" and "destination" tabs to show estimated price without VAT in $US, $CAN or whatever.
    That wasn't my experience. The last order I placed with Ribble I first clicked the $US button. All the prices were indeed expresed in U.S. dollars. My total dropped by 20% only after I went to check out and entered my U.S. mailing address. Maybe their website has changed -- this was for a Campy Chorus group about 6 months ago. I guess the point is to try and see if the price drops after you enter your address. Its not like you have to buy anything if it doesn't. 20% is a big bump.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bikerjulio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,679
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    That wasn't my experience. The last order I placed with Ribble I first clicked the $US button. All the prices were indeed expresed in U.S. dollars. My total dropped by 20% only after I went to check out and entered my U.S. mailing address. Maybe their website has changed -- this was for a Campy Chorus group about 6 months ago. I guess the point is to try and see if the price drops after you enter your address. Its not like you have to buy anything if it doesn't. 20% is a big bump.
    Ribble has both a "currency" and a "destination" button at the top right hand side of the page as I just explained. Only when you hit the destination as US or Canada do the prices show up as not including VAT.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

    One.

    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

  16. #16

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,018
    Quote Originally Posted by headloss View Post
    Based on threads I've seen here, and in other forums... it seems like it's hit/miss with import duties. I've never seen a definitive answer. I've yet to make an order there myself.
    I'll attempt to explain this one.
    Import tariff fees depend on the product, countries try to protect internal industry to some degree from lower prices outside the country. Duty also kicks in at a specific price point.
    USPS has govt agents (Customs and Border Protection) to assess dues on packages coming in, if you truly owe import duties they will assess them. These agents fill out the paper work and process the items. You aren't charged for this service.
    When things come in by a private carrier (UPS/FEDEX/DHL/etc) they don't work with the CBP instead they hire a private firm (broker) to process the items. These brokers charge the customers a "brokerage" fee, the "fee" they collect or attempt to collect on isn't necessarily customs duty, it may only be an expensive charge for processing the paper work.
    If you want to avoid the fees avoid shipments with carriers.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bikerjulio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,679
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerp View Post
    I'll attempt to explain this one.
    Import tariff fees depend on the product, countries try to protect internal industry to some degree from lower prices outside the country. Duty also kicks in at a specific price point.
    USPS has govt agents (Customs and Border Protection) to assess dues on packages coming in, if you truly owe import duties they will assess them. These agents fill out the paper work and process the items. You aren't charged for this service.
    When things come in by a private carrier (UPS/FEDEX/DHL/etc) they don't work with the CBP instead they hire a private firm (broker) to process the items. These brokers charge the customers a "brokerage" fee, the "fee" they collect or attempt to collect on isn't necessarily customs duty, it may only be an expensive charge for processing the paper work.
    If you want to avoid the fees avoid shipments with carriers.
    You said it. A seller used UPS once to cross the border from the US to Canada to me. NEVER AGAIN.

    I can still feel the pain from 8 years ago. Jerks.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

    One.

    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Notvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    342
    Shiny Bikes.

  20. #20
    My other bike has knobbys
    Reputation: MercRidnMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    You said it. A seller used UPS once to cross the border from the US to Canada to me. NEVER AGAIN.

    I can still feel the pain from 8 years ago. Jerks.
    +1,000,000

    I ordered a $20 appliance part from the US and they shipped UPS...$5 in tax and duties and $40 in "brokerage" was assessed. *SNAP* I lost it. I called up UPS and read them the riot act...told them to waive the charges or they could come take the part because it was cheaper to let them have it and order another one (shipped by USPS) than pay 2x the price of the part in brokerage fees.

    I've never used them again since.
    So 5 times wasn't enough and I'm going back again:my participant page for the 2014 Alberta Ride to Conquer Cancer.

    12 Cervelo S2, 09 Knolly Delirium T, ?? Mercury Road Bike, signed '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX

  21. #21
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,855
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerp View Post
    I'll attempt to explain this one.
    Import tariff fees depend on the product, countries try to protect internal industry to some degree from lower prices outside the country. Duty also kicks in at a specific price point.
    USPS has govt agents (Customs and Border Protection) to assess dues on packages coming in, if you truly owe import duties they will assess them. These agents fill out the paper work and process the items. You aren't charged for this service.
    When things come in by a private carrier (UPS/FEDEX/DHL/etc) they don't work with the CBP instead they hire a private firm (broker) to process the items. These brokers charge the customers a "brokerage" fee, the "fee" they collect or attempt to collect on isn't necessarily customs duty, it may only be an expensive charge for processing the paper work.
    If you want to avoid the fees avoid shipments with carriers.
    As someone sais earlier, the standard shipping through Ribble always ends up being delivered by the USPS. I've nevered paid duty, import or brokerage fees. I do have to go down to the post office during their convenient customer service hours to claim the package though.

    Trade policy is very odd. It's almost random what gets taxed and what doesn't. Apparently bike components aren't subbject to it.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    58
    I can also attest to Ribble's service. Despite being a "discount" retailer, they were quite responsive to my recent technical issue with a Campy fault. Chris was fantastic.
    I hope not to need their service too often, but it's nice to know they're there.

    It's also very nice and unusual to have someone pick up the phone without first having to go through a multi-tier phone tree.
    Lynskey Helix Disc 2014 ML/Brushed/Etched / Enve Disc
    Campagnolo SR 11 / OverTorque Ultra
    Zipp 303 FC / King R45 / Conti GP4000s
    Zipp SL70 Ergo 44 / Ritchey WCS 4-Axis UD Carbon 12
    Lynskey Ti / Selle Italia SLR Superflow 145
    Look Keo Blade
    17.5 lbs

    Lynskey R340 2012 ML/Brushed/Etched / Enve 2.0
    Campagnolo SR 11
    Zipp 303 FC / Conti GP4000s
    Zipp CSL 44/3T ARX Team Black 12
    Lynskey Ti / Selle Italia SLR Superflow 145
    Look Keo Blade Ti
    16.4 lbs

Similar Threads

  1. Campy 11speed pricing
    By cocoboots in forum Campagnolo
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-23-2008, 07:08 AM
  2. Campy Pricing
    By MG537 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-03-2008, 08:08 AM
  3. 06 campy pricing versus 07 campy pricing
    By fah35 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 10:01 AM
  4. Good pricing on Campy.
    By Juanmoretime in forum Hot Deals
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 10:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Hot Deals

Contest

Tour De France

Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook