RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

broken rear carbon derailleur

broken rear carbon derailleur-%25tlb7qftt2u%25kpgbp25rna.jpg

The outside carbon part of my Centaur rear derilleur broke in half and the chain got jammed and I almost went down. I have campy on all of my bikes and this is the first time something like this has happened before. Anyone else seen this happen? Just glad I did not go down and the only damaged items are the derailleur and chain that need to be replaced.

Fell in a group ride in April this year resulting in a fractured scapula requiring surgery and internal fixation. Glad that did not happen again.
    Last edited by KM1.8T; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:41 PM.

tka
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    It has been known to happen, frequently enough that Campagnolo sells the "rod" as a replacement part for SR, R, and Chorus.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tka View Post
    It has been known to happen, frequently enough that Campagnolo sells the "rod" as a replacement part for SR, R, and Chorus.
    I did notice replacement parts were available as listed above. Unfortunately, the rear hanger is bent on mine and also since Centaur, parts not available. Not sure I would repair that anyway, time to replace. I did order a new Potenza 11speed to put on there to run with the 10sp cassette, as I may upgrade it to 11 in the future. The is a Cervelo R3-SL with a mixture of parts from other bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Update if anyone cares. Replaced the rear der with Campy 11speed Potenza and it works great. I did have to replace the chain as well as it was twisted when the Centaur der broke. Used 10sp chain and it still is smooth and shifts great.