Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dutch biker

Campa Super Record crank broken

My Campagnolo Super record Ultra Torque broken into pieces.
    The fixing bolt was assembled with the right amount of torque and the cups only by hand with loctite 222. Just like the manuals says.
    Is this a well known problem with the Utra torque system? I have another bike with 10 speed Record and with the same Utra Torque system. No problem there.
    But this. This baffles me.
    Anyone?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Campa Super Record crank broken-campa-super-record-ultra-breuk.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not normal at all. I would certainly say this is an unusual situation.

I can't tell from the photo but is this the new 2011 titanium version super record or the 2009-2010 super record? Either way, I would send it to Campagnolo for analysis and perhaps warranty. It does seem like there maybe is more to know of the situation. were you just riding along and it blew apart? ...was it just sitting there and broke or did you crash or did it break as it was being tightened? I know you say that it was tightened to specification but it really does looks suspect that it was severely overtightened inadvertently for it to break like that. Anyway I would contact them and send it in for inspection.
    campagnoloneutron
    ogni epoca ha un campione | ogni campione ha una Colnago+Pinarello+Campagnolo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by campagnoloneutron View Post
    Not normal at all. I would certainly say this is an unusual situation.

I can't tell from the photo but is this the new 2011 titanium version super record or the 2009-2010 super record? Either way, I would send it to Campagnolo for analysis and perhaps warranty. It does seem like there maybe is more to know of the situation. were you just riding along and it blew apart? ...was it just sitting there and broke or did you crash or did it break as it was being tightened? I know you say that it was tightened to specification but it really does looks suspect that it was severely overtightened inadvertently for it to break like that. Anyway I would contact them and send it in for inspection.
    Does the "Cult" on the side of the left crank arm mean it was a 2011 Super Record crank? I'm not positive. Maybe the Cult bearings were offered in 2009 and 2010 too. My last Record groupo was 2008.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Modified by unknown from Bovard's original quote<o:p></o:p>

Bikes:
    Colnago C50 ST01 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 303
    Colnago Cristallo NS03 - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Custom Wheels
    Colnago Oval Krono LX4 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 808/disk
    Colnago Arte bare aluminum - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 404
    Colnago Arte NS03 - unbuilt
    Bianchi FG Lite Liqui - 2008 Record - Zipp 202

Dutch biker
    It's the 2010 version Super Record with the white decals.
    The only difference with the 2011 version is a titanium axle instead of last year’s steel axle.

When it happened I was riding on cobblestones but that shouldn't be a problem.
    With this bike setup I never had any crash. The bike is a Colnago C50 with complete Super Record 2010 and mavic Ksyrium SL (the red version).
    The center bolt was tightened with 40 nm (the manual says 42nm).
    So definitely I will visit my LBS.
    Luckily I have a second bike, so no timeout in trainingsessions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Campa Super Record crank broken-20101027-8447.jpg  

Dutch biker
    Hey Fabsroman,

I see you have the same bike. C50 with ST01 colours. Nice!
    And a real Colnago fan. Same here.
    Normal households have a room for children. I have a room specially for my Colnago's.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    This is a first for me. Campagnolo should get the parts for investigation. Should be a warranty issue.

Please note that Campagnolo have released new instructions for assembling cups and crank. Worth noting is that they have abandoned Locktite 222 for synthetic grease, now have a recommended tightening torque for the cups, and also recommend to grease the hirth joint and central bolt before assembly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fabsroman View Post
    Does the "Cult" on the side of the left crank arm mean it was a 2011 Super Record crank? I'm not positive. Maybe the Cult bearings were offered in 2009 and 2010 too. My last Record groupo was 2008.
    The two 2011 Super Record versions/models are marked externally as per the attached photos. (the red central circle indicates the titanium axle/white central circle indicates the normal steel axle). The other difference is that the titanium version tightens counterclockwise the steel version the normal clockwise tightening. Prior to this year 2011, the SR only came with a steel axle. (see campagnolo reference document on the above - http://www.campagnolo.com/repository...rning_2011.pdf)

I was interested in whether it was a titanium or steel axle that failed. Failure either way is really bad news though!

...and as remarked by another viewer, I have always assembled these UT cranksets with a special copper impregnated assembly grease on both the cups and the central Hirth joint. Torqued the cups on too (hand tight for the cups NEVER sounded like a correct thing to do, campagnolo suggested or not) No problems ever, either assembling or disassembling. ...and hoping for none to come!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Campa Super Record crank broken-sr39-53guartitanio_500x581.jpg   Campa Super Record crank broken-sr39-53guar-acciaio_500x581.jpg  
    campagnoloneutron
    ogni epoca ha un campione | ogni campione ha una Colnago+Pinarello+Campagnolo

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have never heard of anything like this happening, and I doubt that it would be possible to cause this kind of failure by any kind of installation error, either. You have a 4-year warranty on your components, and to me this looks like a very clear warranty issue. My money is on a material defect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry, can't be of any help here besides to say good luck getting it sorted out.

1) That's a fine, fine looking bike!

2) How'd you get home?

3) Did the cranks come out of the BB shell and stay attached to your feet? Were you able to pedal to a stop? Just curious, hopefully you didn't go down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    If you bought the gruppo at your LBS then I'd take it there, but if you got it online from a dealer then they should be able to perform the warranty replacement. So far the only warranty issue I had was a broken shifter that failed out-of-the-box which is also very rare but less of an inconvenience than you suffered on the cobbles. Online dealer sent me a replacement no questions asked and a label to return the broken part. I doubt you'll have any trouble getting this replaced quickly.
    miles to posts ratio is > 30:1

Hucken The Fard Up !
    Very nice C-50 Erik, but well, looks better with the Ergosums, ( even though I prefer the Rotundo )
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by campagnoloneutron View Post
    The two 2011 Super Record versions/models are marked externally as per the attached photos. (the red central circle indicates the titanium axle/white central circle indicates the normal steel axle). The other difference is that the titanium version tightens counterclockwise the steel version the normal clockwise tightening. Prior to this year 2011, the SR only came with a steel axle. (see campagnolo reference document on the above - http://www.campagnolo.com/repository...rning_2011.pdf)

I was interested in whether it was a titanium or steel axle that failed. Failure either way is really bad news though!

...and as remarked by another viewer, I have always assembled these UT cranksets with a special copper impregnated assembly grease on both the cups and the central Hirth joint. Torqued the cups on too (hand tight for the cups NEVER sounded like a correct thing to do, campagnolo suggested or not) No problems ever, either assembling or disassembling. ...and hoping for none to come!
    Yeah, I already knew about the red circle for a titanium axle versus the white circle. I just thought that the CULT ceramic bearings were first offered in 2011 Super Record, but it appears that I was incorrect. My memory is also coming back to me a bit right now and I think I remember that one of the big differences between Record and Super Record was the ceramic bearings.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Modified by unknown from Bovard's original quote<o:p></o:p>

Bikes:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by knakhemel View Post
    Hey Fabsroman,

I see you have the same bike. C50 with ST01 colours. Nice!
    And a real Colnago fan. Same here.
    Normal households have a room for children. I have a room specially for my Colnago's.
    When I saw that pic, I thought I was looking at my bike for a second. Same goes for Salsa's C50 in ST01. You don't see many C50s in ST01 in the US. Here is a pic of mine right after I built it up. Since then, the steerer tube has been cut down some and the bars dropped. Probably going to drop the bars another 5mm tomorrow. Also switched out the wheels in the photo for some old school Campy Record Strada box tubulars laced 3x to some 2007 Campy Record 36 hole hubs. I've been using that wheelset since 2006 for all my training miles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Campa Super Record crank broken-rbr2.jpg  

Bikes:

Hucken The Fard Up !
    and here is mine in full "Super Touring" mode, including compact crank, freshly built Open Pro/Record/32x3 wheels.

It still has the Ergo handlebars on as I haven't yet decided if to go Rotundo or not

I think at the end I'll go Rotundo, just like on the C-40 ( I reckon the Heliums clash here )

They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_Lover View Post
    and here is mine in full "Super Touring" mode, including compact crank, freshly built Open Pro/Record/32x3 wheels.

It still has the Ergo handlebars on as I haven't yet decided if to go Rotundo or not

I think at the end I'll go Rotundo, just like on the C-40 ( I reckon the Heliums clash here )

How do you like those heliums? I have a set of the rims laying around and have been contemplating building them up with some new Record hubs or some red Tune hubs. When I find some time, I am going to build up a set of wheels with old school Ambrosio Crono box rims and red Tune hubs.

I have no idea why component manufacturers do not sell decent rims anymore. It is hard to find anything in a lightweight tubular rim anymore unless you go with a carbon rim, and I certainly don't want that for everyday riding.

Then again, I guess I know why they don't make them anymore. They want us to buy their pre-built rims that are almost impossible to maintain if something breaks (e.g., Eurus spokes aren't the easiest thing to find).

Bikes:

Hucken The Fard Up !
    I think the Mavic Reflex can be got for some $50 and are quite decent rims. I still have some GP4s and will probably build a set with some Record Hubs at some point.

The Ambrosio Nemesis are some $100 and you can't go wrong with them.

I built the Record/OP yesterday with a set of silver DT revs with DT comps on drive side that I had at home. I was debating to order black spokes and green nipples but well I just did it with what I had in hand.

This set is mainly for long rides so it could be repaired easily, clinchers, tubes and standard spokes can be found anywhere. Campy 11 mechanics or tools not so much though.

A C50 with a set of classic tubies looks indeed great, look here, simply great

http://www.boutiquecycles.com/bikes/...ditors_choice/

mission accomplished fabs, we have succesfuly derailed this thread
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Campa Super Record crank broken-c50_2.jpg  
    Last edited by Salsa_Lover; 06-18-2011 at 03:55 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

thoughts...

Obviously a brittle material failure. Campy should replace on warranty.

I highly recommend not using loctite 222. For one thing, it does not work at all unless the factory applied thread locking material is completely removed. In most cases, new cups have so much thread locking material on the threads that you could never hand tighten the cups enough for the face of the cup to touch the face of the BB shell. I've used 15Nm of torque just to overcome the resistance from the thread locker.

Col,Naaa,GOOOOO
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_Lover View Post

I have the same build for my wheels but with '98-'99 record hubs that are the smoothest our there (still!!!) (In fact I i just finished rebuilding the '98 rear an hour ago: new races new bearings, new cones, new cups and sparingly campy grease....... feels like its on ceramic never stops spinning!!!!)
    Colnago C50 WX07 54......
    if you don't fall off, you're not trying hard enough.

Dutch biker
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    Sorry, can't be of any help here besides to say good luck getting it sorted out.

1) That's a fine, fine looking bike!

2) How'd you get home?

3) Did the cranks come out of the BB shell and stay attached to your feet? Were you able to pedal to a stop? Just curious, hopefully you didn't go down.
    How did I get home? Called my wife: "Sweety, I need a ride home. My bike will not go any further. Please pick me up." And there she was with our car.

And yes the whole left crank came out. Lukely at the same time I released my shoe from the pedal (just in time).

But the great news is, I already have a new crankset. The titanium 2011 version. Even better looking with those red markings. The chainring bolts are attached directly into the inner chaniring. The centre fixing bolt is a counterclockwise one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    How did I get home? Called my wife: "Sweety, I need a ride home. My bike will not go any further. Please pick me up." And there she was with our car.

And yes the whole left crank came out. Lukely at the same time I released my shoe from the pedal (just in time).

But the great news is, I already have a new crankset. The titanium 2011 version. Even better looking with those red markings. The chainring bolts are attached directly into the inner chaniring. The centre fixing bolt is a counterclockwise one.
    Is the new crank the result of a warranty claim, or did you just go out and buy it. If Campy has already sent you a new crank, that is awesome customer service.

Bikes:

Dutch biker
    Now check this out.
    I already posted I have a new set. Well, here it is.
    Campa still rules in my opinion. They replaced my wrecked crankset for the new titanium version.
    Does it look bliss or what?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Campa Super Record crank broken-20110624_0047-25%25.jpg   Campa Super Record crank broken-20110624_0055-25%25.jpg   Campa Super Record crank broken-20110624_0056-25%25.jpg   Campa Super Record crank broken-20110624_0057-25%25.jpg  

classiquesklassieker
    Now check this out.
    I already posted I have a new set. Well, here it is.
    Campa still rules in my opinion. They replaced my wrecked crankset for the new titanium version.
    Does it look bliss or what?
    Awesome pics! Do you have notice a difference with the new crankset?

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    I can! The new graphics are much easier to read.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orange_julius View Post
    Awesome pics! Do you have notice a difference with the new crankset?
    Well, according to my calculations his averages should be at least 2.5mph faster now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Good on Campy for giving you the titanium version. The little red circle goes well with your bike layout. I'm almost jealous.

Bikes:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast