Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

Campagnolo EPS Review

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    In view of all of the recent dross that has been kicked up...

Everything you wanted to know about riding and setting up Campagnolo’s Electronic Power Shift group

"In case of emergency:

If the derailleur is hit in a crash (and indeed, one of the riders today managed to crash into a wall and do that — he was OK), it protects itself by uncoupling the electronic motor from the mechanical shaft. You’ll know this has happened when it won’t shift to the smallest cog. To re-couple it, you can repeatedly press the upshift button without pedaling until it hooks up and will again allow shifting to the smallest cog, or you can stop and engage the two parts by pushing inward on the derailleur body with your hand until you hear it click back into place. This uncoupling feature can be used to set the rear derailleur on any cog to ride back home when, for instance, the wire has been cut in a crash, or the battery has been completely discharged."

I realize that there will still be those who, philosophically, don't want to have anything to do with e-shift systems. That's perfectly understandable. However, opinions should be based on real, rather than imaginary, reasons.
    Last edited by flatlander_48; 11-09-2011 at 04:46 AM.
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (steel)
    Full Campagnolo compact drivetrain - Chorus 11sp
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Gobi saddle and bar tape
    BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Another review on the Campagnolo EPS group.

First Ride on Campagnolo's EPS Component Group | Bicycling Magazine

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Campagnolo Super Record EPS Electronic Transmission €“ First Ride Review | Cyclingnews.com

another review. I really like it and support the product, but if you guys watch the video, does the shifting seem slow? not sure how fast DI2 is but, there seems to be a small delay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    US availability is April

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    Too much noise when changing gear.
    My next vehicle would be a zamboni
    2012 Super Six (Chorus 11)
    2011 Super Six Team edition (Super Record 11)
    2009 Super Six HM (Super Record 11)
    2007 Systems Six (Record 10)
    2008 Caad 9 (Centaur 10)
    2004 Caad 7 ( sold )
    2000 Caad 3 ( sold )

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    Too much noise when changing gear.
    Hardly fair to base it on a crappy Cyclingnews vid taken in a carpark is it?

Other review here translated from Italian Google Translate

Plus video from their youtube channel Test Campagnolo Super Record EPS - elettronico - YouTube

Sounds pretty similar to DI2 to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    If they had launched a Chorus level EPS groupo to rival Ultegra Di2 then I'd be buying that instead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven_Nijs View Post
    If they had launched a Chorus level EPS groupo to rival Ultegra Di2 then I'd be buying that instead.
    Not sure how you can say that without the price being announced. Remember that Shimano introduced the Dura Ace version first. Why wouldn't Campagnolo do the same thing?
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    Not sure how you can say that without the price being announced. Remember that Shimano introduced the Dura Ace version first. Why wouldn't Campagnolo do the same thing?
    Record is to be priced to match DA Di2 while Super Record will be priced at a higher price than Record (I'd guess at +20%).
    There is no Chorus EPS so not an option for me. Shimano have launched Ultegra Di2 which is within my current budget. DA Di2 and Record EPS are currently not.

Given the loooong gestation/testing period for this project and knowledge of where Shimano were going with Di2, I had hoped Campagnolo would have come out with all guns blazing, launched a Chorus level groupo too and gone head to head with Shimano at all price points.
    Instead they are (depending on your viewpoint) either going to be playing catch-up or have chosen to focus only on the 'Premium' market.

As a long term (20+ years) Campagnolo user I've been disappointed with them in recent years and unfortunately am again.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    You could maybe match the necessary Record EPS bits with Chorus or Athena cranks, brakes, chain and cassette to to save money.
    Disclaimer: I do not know when the EPS parts will be available as a bundle without the bits common with the mech groups.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven_Nijs View Post
    Record is to be priced to match DA Di2 while Super Record will be priced at a higher price than Record (I'd guess at +20%).
    There is no Chorus EPS so not an option for me. Shimano have launched Ultegra Di2 which is within my current budget. DA Di2 and Record EPS are currently not.

Given the loooong gestation/testing period for this project and knowledge of where Shimano were going with Di2, I had hoped Campagnolo would have come out with all guns blazing, launched a Chorus level groupo too and gone head to head with Shimano at all price points.
    Instead they are (depending on your viewpoint) either going to be playing catch-up or have chosen to focus only on the 'Premium' market.

As a long term (20+ years) Campagnolo user I've been disappointed with them in recent years and unfortunately am again.
    I understand what you are saying, but it may not be entirely fair for 2 reasons. For the first, Ultegra Di2 came out over 2 years after the Dura Ace version. They wanted the early adopters and others to buy the high end product. Had they done it the other way around, I think Dura Ace sales would have been much lighter. The second is that didn't Campagnolo do SR11 and R11 at first for 11sp? I think Chorus, and for sure Athena, came later. If that was the case, Campagnolo is following the same model.
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    BeBop Pedals

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    SR, Record, and Chorus were released together as 11 speed for 2009. The big splash then was SR, just as unexpected as two levels of ESP was last week.
    Athena came (back) with 11sp for 2010, and for 2011 they changed it from Ultra Shift & Torque to Power Shift & Torque.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

YB1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I rode Record since it went to 10 speed, first on a Trek 5500. This year I finally changed to DA Di2. After putting my wife on it and watching her for a few rides, I could see it was time to get off mechanical. Other than missing the simplicity of my old Ergopower stuff and the learning curve of having two buttons side by side which allows you to miss-shift quite easily, I've had no complaints.

Now Campagnolo has a perfectly good electronic group coming to market but I don't see myself switching back. Unfortunately they blew it getting beat to market and unlike the mechanical groups where there are really big differences in the three different offerings out there from SRAM, Shimano, and Campy; with the electronic systems differences seem pretty subtle so why change back?

I'll miss being a Campy guy, I got a bunch of nice Jerseys I'm still wearing. Eventually they may re-establish an edge over their competitors, I really hope so.
    Last edited by YB1; 11-20-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Well, you won't confuse the Campagnolo EPS buttons.

YB1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    There's no reason for two buttons on the left lever and it's still easier to reach the "go to smaller cog" button from the drops with Shimano than Campy, plus there's no button on the lever to interfere with your grip. I did reprogram my Di2 so the large blade acts like Ergopower and that's when I finally stopped miss-shifting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1 View Post
    I rode Record since it went to 10 speed, first on a Trek 5500. This year I finally changed to DA Di2. After putting my wife on it and watching her for a few rides, I could see it was time to get off mechanical. Other than missing the simplicity of my old Ergopower stuff and the learning curve of having two buttons side by side which allows you to miss-shift quite easily, I've had no complaints.

Now Campagnolo has a perfectly good electronic group coming to market but I don't see myself switching back. Unfortunately they blew it getting beat to market and unlike the mechanical groups where there are really big differences in the three different offerings out there from SRAM, Shimano, and Campy; with the electronic systems differences seem pretty subtle so why change back?

I'll miss being a Campy guy, I got a bunch of nice Jerseys I'm still wearing. Eventually they may re-establish an edge over their competitors, I really hope so.
    It is simply wrong to wear Campy jerseys while using Di2, but I see such a lack of attention to detail on these forums I'm not surprised.

YB1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    It feels not right to me too, but the Jersey's are these amazing super lightweight summer full zips and I've never seen anything like them from any other manufacturer. They perfectly match the fabric weight of my Castelli BodyPaint bibs.

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scary View Post
    It is simply wrong to wear Campy jerseys while using Di2, but I see such a lack of attention to detail on these forums I'm not surprised.
    No, it's not just wrong; it's borderline criminal...
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    BeBop Pedals

YB1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Maybe I should put a couple Campagnolo quick releases on my bike so I can wear the jersey...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

campy eps prices

Hi,
    I just ordered a Pinarello dogma 2 with record 11 eps
    In Italy the official prices for this group is very interesting compared to DI2.
    Officially record 11 eps should be priced same as DI2 and super record more expensive than DI2. In reality, the complete bike with Super Record EPS costs 230 euros less than DI2 and the version with record EPS costs about 850 euros less than DI2 version. That's why i decided to choose this one, the difference in weight and materials between record and super record is not worth 600 euros in my opinion!
    Giorgio

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gprand View Post
    Hi,
    I just ordered a Pinarello dogma 2 with record 11 eps
    In Italy the official prices for this group is very interesting compared to DI2.
    Officially record 11 eps should be priced same as DI2 and super record more expensive than DI2. In reality, the complete bike with Super Record EPS costs 230 euros less than DI2 and the version with record EPS costs about 850 euros less than DI2 version. That's why i decided to choose this one, the difference in weight and materials between record and super record is not worth 600 euros in my opinion!
    Giorgio
    By the way , the Campy EPS version of dogma 2 comes with shamal wheels and the DI2 version comes with fulcrum zero , wich is slightly less pricy than the shamal. All the other parts of the bike (bend , saddle etc) are the same!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    One bike shop said Spoke to Campy last week and the groups are going to be a good deal more than Shimano - Looks like $4500 for the SR and $4100 for the Record - don't quote that but it's in that range. Retail will be that - but the true market value is going to be around $4500

But the people at Wrench Science said the price for the EPS Super Record will cost more than $4500. Lets hope the price for the EPS Super Record Group is around $4500

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast