RoadBikeReview Member

Campagnolo geniuses needed

Here is the conundrum.

Brand new Record 10 Chain

Brand new Record 10 chain rings

Brand new Record 10 cassette.

Everything is golden and it shifts like a champ, except under power the 12T skips on every pedal stroke. Been working on this for 4 hours and I am losing my mind.

Checked the limit screws- lines up perfectly.
    Checked the torque on the cassette- exact.

What am I missing?

but thinking about it
    Apr 2007
    Does it skip off toward the 13, or toward the outside? What's the chain line look like and is the front derailleur right against the chain?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hard to see which way it is jumping as I cannot duplicate the problem in the stand, only when I am putting the power down.

The chainline is smooth and direct with a small 1/16+- gap between the front derailleur.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    Hard to see which way it is jumping as I cannot duplicate the problem in the stand, only when I am putting the power down.
    How much power? Does your frame flex a lot? Do you get the skipping both on the left-leg and the right-leg stroke?

RoadBikeReview Member
    At cruising speed there is no problem. Hard effort or standing and it is every pedal stroke with the right leg.

Bike is a Pinarello Paris. Not a lot of flex.

To answer an earlier question, it looks to jump slightly toward the 13t.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002

B Screw Adjustment?

I had a similar problem and solved it by adjusting the B screw.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Don't rule out a defective part. It could be something as simple as a stiff chain link that will disappear with a little more use.

I assume that you know how to set the chain length properly, using the little/little method.

I also assume that you've tried some minor adjustment to the shift cable tension and/or the small cog limit screw.

I also assume that you're not using the little ring with the 12T cog when this happens. If so, then it's a chain-line issue.

The B screw only affects the clearance with the upper jockey pulley, when the chain is on the larger cogs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    At cruising speed there is no problem. Hard effort or standing and it is every pedal stroke with the right leg.

Bike is a Pinarello Paris. Not a lot of flex.
    Probably not but, if you get skipping only on one leg, there's definitely flexing involved.

Quote Originally Posted by C-40 View Post
    I also assume that you're not using the little ring with the 12T cog when this happens. If so, then it's a chain-line issue.
    Excellent point. According to the OP, we have the chain trying to move towards the inside. Might well be an issue of a borderline viable small-small gear combination. In that case the answer is simple: Don't do that. Regardless of anything else, you really should avoid hammering it in one of those extreme combinations (small-small or big-big). Things depend a lot on your specific geometry. On my Felt F1 (56cm) frame, fully crossed combinations work fine, on a different frame they may not. On the OP's frame, if that is the issue, the combination almost works, but not quite.

but thinking about it
    Apr 2007
    And are you sure the rear wheel is clamped correctly?

RoadBikeReview Member
    C-40 FTW!! LBS had a new Centaur cassette, I installed it and shazam! Problem solved.

Must be a defective part in some small way.

Thanks for all the input, I tried everything you recommended.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007

Shift issue possibility

C-40 FTW!! LBS had a new Centaur cassette, I installed it and shazam! Problem solved.

Must be a defective part in some small way.

Thanks for all the input, I tried everything you recommended.
    If you are not careful, it is possible to put the last cog on the cassette body incorrectly. This may be why the new cassette worked?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I removed and reinstalled that cassette 4 times. I am not perfect but I will bet I didn't do it wrong 4 times.