RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

Campagnolo Zonda 16r

i just bought a lovely set off ebay and i wanna convert to 10 speed(currently 8 speed chorus). before i buy anything i wish i could get a definitive answer on what freehub would work. ive been doing alot of research and it seems i could use a mirage or older 9 speed record hub, both which have the smaller axle. also i keep seeing the FH-SC015 9/10 STANDARD axle freehub and would like to know if that would work? i know thats alot to ask but thanks

just fyi i have a set of new record hubs with the hollow axle id be very willing to gut if anyone has tried. i do know that the axle wont fit through the chorus hub shell but maybe a way to alter the 10 speed compatible freehub

link to freehub in question

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFYQ8wIwAQ

the hubs im watching and waiting on buying (excuse my girlfreinds shoes)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I also did some research on this. I was told that the freehub from a late 90's Athena 9/10 speed hub will fit directly on the 8 speed Zonda or Shamal hubs. I never got around to testing this out for real though.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    The freehub spline changed when Campagnolo went from 8 to 9 speed.
    I used a converted 8 speed rear hub for years with a 10 speed Record group, but I see spoke grind marks on the RD pulley cage, so maybe it wasn't quite compatible after all.
    Maybe Bikerjulio or C40 can shed a light: Should a Zonda 16R also be redished for use with 9-10-11 speeds?

One option is of course to avoid using the biggest cog (Using the biggest cog as a dork disc is quite common in Paris-Roubaix). It's just to tighten the inner limit screw on the RD.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    . So it's not as easy as getting a 9 speed Ihub with the smaller steel axle and swapping the freehub or entire internal?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    got the mirage hub and it worked like a charm. also save me a few grams

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dish will be fine - with the change to 8-speed, hubs went to a 130mm spacing - as today.

I don't have personal experience with this conversion, but from the parts drawings it looks to me like 9-speed Athena or Veloce freehubs should work. Not so much Mirage since it used cartridge bearings instead of loose ball. http://www.campagnolo.com/repository...spares99-B.pdf

Of the hubs on OP's post - Record will go for a good price and not to be used for parts. Veloce is the one to go for. I'm less sure about the Mirage.

ps. link did not work.
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 06-07-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM