Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006

Campy Record 11 vs Campy Super Record 11

Is the difference between the 2 worth the money?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

info...

It's not to me. I don't feel the need for the CULT bearings on the crank and I buy only steel-cog Chorus 11 cassettes that cost about 1/3 the price of an SR cassette that will last half as long.

The remaining differences are really trivial weight reductions from a few Ti bolts and the back side of the RD cage changed to carbon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

No

......for the handful of grams you save. The best way to go is Chorus. CULT bearing spin smoother, but Campy's not like SHIMANO, where standard bearing units run like they're lubed with molasses.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    Yes the bearing on crank set it's worth it to me.
    My next vehicle would be a zamboni
    2012 Super Six (Chorus 11)
    2011 Super Six Team edition (Super Record 11)
    2009 Super Six HM (Super Record 11)
    2007 Systems Six (Record 10)
    2008 Caad 9 (Centaur 10)
    2004 Caad 7 ( sold )
    2000 Caad 3 ( sold )

Just Plain Bitter
    If you have the money for the SR 11 and you want the bling than do it. If you are being dollar conscious then I would go with the Chorus 11 honestly. I have 2 bikes with SR 11 they ride great. When I had my Colnago I built it with Chorus and honestly it rode every bit as good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    I got a great deal on SR11 under $2K and the noticed the crank set is much better than my Si crank from Cannondale.
    2008 Caad 9 (Centaur 10)
    2004 Caad 7 ( sold )
    2000 Caad 3 ( sold )

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni
    Yes the bearing on crank set it's worth it to me.
    If someone's main priority in purchasing Super Record is the CULT bearings, they could just get a Chorus group, purchase the CULT bearings separately, and have them installed on Chorus cranks.

That way, you get the great bearings with just a bit more money, and save a bunch over the SR.

Want to save a little weight? Swap the Chorus calipers for Record. That's a decent $/gram upgrade. Don't bother with SR calipers - very marginal weight savings over Record.

Need to save more weight? Then you would look at changing out the cassette to a Ti version, but at a very detrimental sacrifice in longevity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm a novice when it comes to some of the small stuff, but aren't most of the bearings in the bottom bracket? On competitive cyclist, the SR only adds a few bucks to the Record package.

I'm planning on ordering Record, minus the breaks. I was planning on some Zero Gravity instead, which are lighter and about the same price, surprisingly.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you
    I'm a novice when it comes to some of the small stuff, but aren't most of the bearings in the bottom bracket? On competitive cyclist, the SR only adds a few bucks to the Record package.

I'm planning on ordering Record, minus the breaks. I was planning on some Zero Gravity instead, which are lighter and about the same price, surprisingly.
    If you're debating between Record and Super Record you're splitting some SMALL hairs. There will be no real world difference. If you have to have the SR decal on your components go for it, but don't try and say it's gonna make any difference that anyone but a computer could detect.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    If you're debating between Record and Super Record you're splitting some SMALL hairs. There will be no real world difference. If you have to have the SR decal on your components go for it, but don't try and say it's gonna make any difference that anyone but a computer could detect.
    Gotcha. I kind of figured that. Since the SR BB is only a few bucks more (according to competitivecyclist.com), would it be a worthy investment?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    Not to mention SR had the most ceramic bearing on shifters & RD as well, I'm not into the weight things just prefer the quality and performance of the grouppo.
    2008 Caad 9 (Centaur 10)
    2004 Caad 7 ( sold )
    2000 Caad 3 ( sold )

Shirtcocker
    Gotcha. I kind of figured that. Since the SR BB is only a few bucks more (according to competitivecyclist.com), would it be a worthy investment?
    I think so...if I had the oppotunity to get either group I'd be happy. If the cost isn't much more for SR then it's a no-brainer to get that. In reality, I'd probably opt for Chorus 11 and pocket the extra money.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    After doing all the research and talking to people that knows campy, I have decided to go for SR. I am not really concern much about the weight difference, but the longetivity are worth the money.

Thanks to all the reply.

kytyree
    Where has it been suggested to you that this longevity would come from, the CULT bearings?

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by kytyree
    Where has it been suggested to you that this longevity would come from, the CULT bearings?
    Dude wants SR and has the money for it. I have no problem with that. Any real world benefit of SR over Record or even Chorus is gonna largely be cosmetic and/or in the rider's head.

kytyree
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    Dude wants SR and has the money for it. I have no problem with that. Any real world benefit of SR over Record or even Chorus is gonna largely be cosmetic and/or in the rider's head.

You're reading too much into my question.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

longevity???

The SR cogs will last half as long in addition to cost much more. You can buy a new pair of CULT BB bearings for half the price of an SR cassette and install them AFTER the original bearings have seen years of use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Not to mention SR had the most ceramic bearing on shifters & RD as well, I'm not into the weight things just prefer the quality and performance of the grouppo.
    Ceramic bearings in the shifters? This doesn't sound right to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

bearings...

There are NO ceramic bearings in the shifters. Even the Record RD has ceramic bushings in the RD pulleys. SR only changes the lower pulley bushing to a ball bearing.

No one could ever tell any performance difference from the bearings in the crank or RD while riding the bike.
    Last edited by C-40; 12-08-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Lexicon Devil
    The pros race Record, IIRC. Even the guys paid to ride bikes don't need SR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    For sure Cadel Evans set up is SR11 this year.
    2008 Caad 9 (Centaur 10)
    2004 Caad 7 ( sold )
    2000 Caad 3 ( sold )

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Well, I ended buying a Campy SR 11 because I got good deal. $1900.00 to my door.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    You got a great deal for that price.
    2008 Caad 9 (Centaur 10)
    2004 Caad 7 ( sold )
    2000 Caad 3 ( sold )

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    You got a great deal for that price.
    Thank you!

I thought so. My LBS wants $2600.00 for this group.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005

Sounds like you are a novice all the way. The bottom bracket contains 2 bearings, not sure if you classify that as "most" or not... They are the largest bearings in the group.

BTW, you are ordering Record minus "brakes", not breaks.

Velonews (Zinn) did a test and concluded there is a very slight reduction with wattage utilizing ceramic bearings but it was unappreciable in the real world. I'd have more respect if people just 'fessed up that they had to have SR11 because it says SR11 rather than some of the suggestions floated here about talking to a friend of a friend who knew somebody that may have perused a Campy catalog back in 1986...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast