RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

Campy SR Shifting Problems Need Advice

I need some advice from someone with more experience than me with adjusting mechanical gears specifically Campy Super Record Post-15. Just had group set put on my new bike R5 and everythingg was shifting perfectly. Purchased new Boar Ultra 35 and put on bike the other day now bike will not shift reliably at all. When down shifting the der. moves but chain does not and you hear clanking, hit button again it drops down to cogs, up shift just clanking upshift again chain goes up 2 cogs. Put chain on 5 sprocket pulleys are lined up perfectly. I can not see how changing a wheel could do anything unless the skewer is a lot tighter and der. has moved now. Any advice in what to check first or do would be appreciated before I start removing der. to check hanger straightness. Also bike was built for me I did not do initial setup.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What were the wheels previously? Campagnolo or other? I'm guessing other.

Most likely this is just down to a small difference in cassette alignment from one wheel to another.

You need to learn how to make small adjustments to cable tension at the RD to fix the problem. In this case it sounds like a small release of tension is needed. Try 1/4 turn at a time clockwise on the cable adjuster.

If you want to swap wheels regularly then experimenting with thin shims behind one of the cassettes might be worthwhile but it needs someone with experience.

This is not a Campy-specific problem. Can happen with the other brands as well.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Okay bikerjulio will turn adjuster clockwise 1/4 off a turn. My other wheels were Campy Neutron Ultras. I do not swap wheels always wanted Boras because I read they are awesome wheels and after riding I agree unbelievable. No doubt this is not a Campy issue for sure ridden nothing but Campy my whole cycling life, 20+ years.

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    That bothers me because Campy hubs have been very consistent for me.

1/4 turn at a time. It might need several.

It is always worth checking hanger alignment, but if it needs much "adjustment" then it's better to install a new one from Wheels Man. Many stock hangers are made from cheese and the one thing worse than a misaligned hanger is a broken one.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Just got done with bike seems when I replaced wheelset I tightened skewer way to tight needing full hand to close while holding onto something causing hanger to be pulled in. Released tension hanger straightened out readjusted skewer and then adjusted tension by turning adjuster clockwise. All is working now good. Thanks for your help bikerjulio. Not sure why overtightening skewer would cause drop out hanger to pull in I would think dropout should be supported by rear wheel hub fully. Something to ponder.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Perhaps ask the question in the Cervelo forum to see if others have solved this. You are correct in that the skewer tightness should not impact shifting.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    2015+ is much more sensitive to hanger alignment. Check this first.
    You may need more "embrace" -- try tightening the screw at the pulley spring, and no added tension at the upper pivot adjuster (adjust screw so there is no contact).
    Some frames don't play well with 2015+ Campy (drop out is too long, too far back, or angled back too far). Only solved by modifying the pivot on the derailleur or drop out unfortunately.
    Long thread on this on Weight Weenies.