RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

Chorus 10 to 11 Ergo lever reach difference -- stem length change needed?

Just received my Chorus 11 Ergo levers to update from my Chorus 10 levers. Seems like the hoods have more reach on the 11s; have people found they need to adjust stem length to a shorter stem when they go from 10 speed to 11 speed Ergos, and if so, by how much? Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member

Lever tops are only 1 of 4 or 5 hand positions

Grabbing onto the uprasied nub on the lever tops is only 1 of 4 0r 5 common hand postions. I wouldn't change a thing. I have both the older ergo and newer 11 speed on 2 bikes that have identical geometry and stem/bars. I like the slightly added reach at the uprasied end of the 11 spd levers. Everywhere esle my hands are right where they need to be - don't change your stem.

Big is relative
    In 2009 I installed 11 speed on my road bike. It previously had 10 speed. I didn't change a thing and clamped the shifters on the exact same spot on the bars. I like the feel of 11 but I didn't notice any change in reach.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

info..

I used a dowel rod spanning between the hoods and found that the reach was 3-5mm greater, but I did not change stem length when I made the switch. Placement of the band clamp is critical. Just a few millimeters up or down on the curve can make a significant difference. Don't tape the bars until after a test ride. I had mine too low the first time, moved the band clamp up 5mm and that was too much.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks, all. I plan on the test ride before final taping (I use friction tape before padded bar tape so will ride with just the friction tape on the tops) to get the positioning right.