Soul Mining

Chorus QS shifters with new Ultrashift 10s RD?

I've searched but have not found a definitive answer to this one.

Will the new 2012/13 10 speed derailleurs (Veloce, Centaur, etc) work with a set of the pre-UltraShift Chorus QS 10 speed shifters?

I need to replace the rear derailleur and shifters on my winter bike (9 speed Veloce from 2002) on a budget. After finding out the new PowerShift system is similar to the old Escape shifters, I want to avoid it if I can. I had Centaur Ergo Escape levers once and felt ripped off when I had to pretty much replace the entire shifter body to fix a worn out mechanism.

I can find the QS levers easily, but I'm having trouble finding an older 10 speed derailleur to match them. People aren't listing many of them on Ebay these days, it seems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by The The View Post
    I've searched but have not found a definitive answer to this one.

Will the new 2012/13 10 speed derailleurs (Veloce, Centaur, etc) work with a set of the pre-UltraShift Chorus QS 10 speed shifters?

I need to replace the rear derailleur and shifters on my winter bike (9 speed Veloce from 2002) on a budget. After finding out the new PowerShift system is similar to the old Escape shifters, I want to avoid it if I can. I had Centaur Ergo Escape levers once and felt ripped off when I had to pretty much replace the entire shifter body to fix a worn out mechanism.

I can find the QS levers easily, but I'm having trouble finding an older 10 speed derailleur to match them. People aren't listing many of them on Ebay these days, it seems.
    IIRC, all the 10s rear derailleurs and ergo levers are compatible (cable pull is the same). QS refers to the front shift only, and for best performance, you need a QS front derailleur to match your QS front shifter.

FWIW, Chain Reaction Cycles are listing Chorus 10S Rear Derailleurs in stock, and there are plenty of Campag 10sp rear derailleurs on ebay, as well as QS front derailleurs

RoadBikeReview Member
    To use a non QS front derailleur, you ideally want spare part FD-CE011 as per Campagnolo's official instructions (can't post link b/c less than ten posts but you likely know where to find the tech docs; I think they repeat this suggestion in the parts lists for 2009-2011).

No clue about the rear, but I assume that anything will work. Current PowerShift RDs have a different spring... not sure if that would make any real-world difference in shifting. I went with a used Chorus 10 RD myself.

For now, I'm going to use a 2012 Centaur FD, but I hope to eventually pick up a 2010 for the alloy look with the current build. I've considered the Athena 11 route, but I have no idea how much narrower the cage is... so I'm thinking the current Centaur with the part mentioned above is the best way to go for both of us.

Anyone have any feedback on the current Veloce, vs Centaur? It looks like the Veloce is a dated design as far as FDs go... that said, current Centaur seems like the best 10 speed FD choice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    All QS means it that there is less dead travel from the left finger lever, than earlier model shifters. The matching QS FD usually has a longer lever arm that reduces the shifting effort, but should require one more click - 4 instead of 3 - to cover the full range of travel.

The shifter and RD situation is questionable. Campy did make a change the RD actuation ratio on the 11 speed RD's. If a 10 speed RD is used with an 11 speed shifter, it will come up a little short on travel. Campy's literature suggests that they may have done the same thing with the 10 speed RD's. If that's true, then there would be some difference in the cable pull of the newer 10 speed shifters.

I know how much cable an older 10 speed shifter has, since I've measured it many times. The older models pull 2.5mm five times, 3mm twice and 3.5mm twice. I moved on to 11 speed when it first came out, so I've never had a chance to measure the cable pull of the latest model 10 speed shifters.

FWIW, I've improved the shifting of a 10 speed RD, coupled to an 11 speed drivetrain by grinding down the threads on the cable clamp bolt, in the area where the cable contacts the bolt. Grinding the diameter just down to the root of the thread reduces the lever arm length slightly and increases the actuation ratio.