Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Reputation: kbwh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,728

    Crank arm compatibility?

    Q: When Campag went from 5 to 4 arm UT crank sets, did they make any changes to the axle and Hirth joint?



    Asking because I'm contemplating a Stages Campagnolo power meter, and my UT cranks are 2009.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    Q: When Campag went from 5 to 4 arm UT crank sets, did they make any changes to the axle and Hirth joint?



    Asking because I'm contemplating a Stages Campagnolo power meter, and my UT cranks are 2009.
    Should not be an issue.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: spade2you's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    12,077
    Are these going to be compatible with the Bora TT cranksets? Been wanting something attractive and a 55/44t for my TT bike.

  4. #4
    Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Reputation: kbwh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,728
    If nova_rider is correct, i.e. that the mechanics of UT are unchanged since initial release, it should fit just fine. The Bora UT crank is SR with Ti axle, isn't it?
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    27
    It may look a bit odd as Bora Ultra crank arms look very different from SR arms. If you don't mind having mismatched arms, I don't see why it wouldn't work with SR version, as long you don't need anything above 175mm.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: spade2you's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    12,077
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    It may look a bit odd as Bora Ultra crank arms look very different from SR arms. If you don't mind having mismatched arms, I don't see why it wouldn't work with SR version, as long you don't need anything above 175mm.
    Understood on not matching. I think Vision also makes a similar crankset. I think Stages had a matching crankset that was posted to USA Cycling members as part of a discount. When I asked them, they said the exact match was not available, but they had something that would work.

    I'm a shorty with 170mm cranks arms. I could maybe see myself getting one of these if I can push enough watts to justify the bigger chainrings.

  7. #7
    Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Reputation: kbwh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,728
    I asked Campag:
    Hello, Is a left side current Ultra Torque crank arm (steel axle) mechanically compatible with a 2014 or older (5 bolt) right side Ultra Torque steel axle crank? I'm asking because I'd very much like to put the just released Stages power meter on my bike which has a 2009 Ultra Torque Super Record crankset with steel axle. Thanks.
    Campag answered thus:
    Thank you for consulting us.

    Unfortunately, no way to proceed the way you suggested. Not compatible components. Current 2017 and 2016 Ultra Torque cranks must be paired each other with same year ranges’ products.

    Apologies,
    Next bike then.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    408
    If I was a large company, I would stick to that statement.

    If you say it will work, you're stuck with that statement and all the liability baggage it comes with. If you say it does not, you are in a much safer position when something goes wrong.

    So, I would suspect that you will have to ask the peanut gallery to get a good answer. So far, I would agree with the others. If Campagnolo does not want it to work, I would suspect they would design it not to work [like left hand threads on the SR ti cranks]. I believe it would work just fine.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    27
    While Campy might use "incompatible" as their official response, there are other factors that may be good reasons not to mix the two, even if they dimensionally match. First, stainless steel and titanium have different material properties that will impact the torsional rigidity. Since measuring torsional deflection is how most power meters work, mixing the two may cause inaccurate values. Second, there may be galvanic corrosion issues between these two dissimilar metals in contact. SS and Ti are relatively inert, but when combined with moisture and salt from rain, drinks, sweats, etc. It may result in corrosion issues on rather expensive components AND at a rather critical junction. This is probably also why SR crank uses Ti bolt instead of steel, and not just to save an extra 0.83 grams... Something to think about.

  10. #10
    Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Reputation: kbwh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,728
    It was, as written in my opening post and to Campag, never my intention to mix Ti and steel axles. Also steel axle cranks use a rechts tread bolt whereas Ti uses links.

    I am well aware of what galvanic corrosion can do, also to Ti.

    I'd like to see the construction drawings and material specs for a 2009 steel UT axle and a 2016-17, though.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    408
    I agree Novarider, but reversing the treads to make certain you could not swap them is something they did not have to do. So, I believe if they wanted the arms from the new to old not to work, they would have done that. I would certain to keep costs down and the assembly line going, there is no difference.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Butcher View Post
    I agree Novarider, but reversing the treads to make certain you could not swap them is something they did not have to do. So, I believe if they wanted the arms from the new to old not to work, they would have done that. I would certain to keep costs down and the assembly line going, there is no difference.
    The right side of UT is just a thru hole, so thread direction shouldn't​ matter. I suspect this is done due to the weaker Ti fastener.
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    While Campy might use "incompatible" as their official response, there are other factors that may be good reasons not to mix the two, even if they dimensionally match. First, stainless steel and titanium have different material properties that will impact the torsional rigidity. Since measuring torsional deflection is how most power meters work, mixing the two may cause inaccurate values. Second, there may be galvanic corrosion issues between these two dissimilar metals in contact. SS and Ti are relatively inert, but when combined with moisture and salt from rain, drinks, sweats, etc. It may result in corrosion issues on rather expensive components AND at a rather critical junction. This is probably also why SR crank uses Ti bolt instead of steel, and not just to save an extra 0.83 grams... Something to think about.

    Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. New Red Crank Compatibility
    By Lelandjt in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 12:11 AM
  2. GXP Crank Arm Compatibility
    By field3 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2012, 02:02 PM
  3. Crank compatibility...
    By wanton007 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2011, 01:52 AM
  4. Crank Set Compatibility ?...
    By MTBer4life in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-19-2011, 07:38 PM
  5. Crank and BB compatibility?
    By OneGear in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-01-2007, 03:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •