titanium junkie

Ergo shifters 10 sp vs. 11 sp

Am I the only one who miss the "old" shape of the 10 speed shifters? I have two bikes with the curved 11-speed shifters (Record) and after 2 years of riding, and it just seems I am still not quite comfortable with them. Oh well!
    Thanks,

titanium goat

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have both styles and although I think the older ones more elegant, in terms of ergonomics I definitely think the new shape is an improvement. more finger room, better braking, and that extra hand position.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    I got my first 11 speed build last year. At first I was kind of "meh" about the new shape. However, now when I ride my bikes that have the older hood shape on them, I think that I really like the newer design much better. Those big knobs are great to grab onto during hard efforts.

Have you tried repositioning them on the bars as all?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    They are a fair bit longer and as mentioned have a very different profile, perhaps you need a stem length/bar adjustment

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

Re: Ergo shifters 10 sp vs. 11 sp

Quote Originally Posted by tigoat View Post
    Am I the only one who miss the "old" shape of the 10 speed shifters? I have two bikes with the curved 11-speed shifters (Record) and after 2 years of riding, and it just seems I am still not quite comfortable with them. Oh well!
    I've gone back to the 2nd gen rounded shape on both bikes. 99 Athena on one, 04 Record on the other.

Of course, they've both been rebuilt over the years, though parts are finally becoming harder to find.

titanium junkie
    Thanks for all the responses to my thread. Anyhow, as much as I like the cool look of the curved shape, these new gen shifters just do not feel right for my small hands. Perhaps the curvature of the top section is the problem. The “straight top” shape of the previous gen 10-speed shifters is much nicer to grip. I did not realize how much I like the old shape until I built up another bike recently with some old 10-speed parts, as I thought my 11-speed shifters were great in the last couple of years. Of course, I am talking about the outer shape difference here, as I think the 11-speed shifting is a nice improvement over its 10-speed sibling. Cheers!
    Thanks,

titanium goat