RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Freewheel spacing from seat stay

I've been involved with a restoration of an old Bianchi X4. Building it up with C Record. Anyway I picked up a set of wheels and it turned out the axle was spaced for 130 mm. So I simply changed the size of the drive side spacer to get the 126 mm and installed a 7sp freewheel and didn't think much of it.
    I now have the complete drive train and went to install the chain yesterday only to find I don't have enough room between the seat stay and the 1st cog for the chain to fit. I now realize it isn't as simple of an adjustment as I first realized. So I figure I'll set up the axle spacers to achieve the desired spacing between the seat stay and 1st cog then get the wheel correctly centered. i'm wishing I could just find old users or tech manuals for the equipment, so that's one question, does anyone know of a source for 87 era C Record users or tech manuals? more immediately though, does anyone have a value for the spacing between the seat stay and 1st cog?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    The distance from the end of the axle locknut to the far end of the freewheel threads on the hub should be 36mm minimum, 37mm next choice. The freewheel width (sprocket face to sprocket face) should be 31.7mm.

There's no such dimension you are asking for-clearance between the seatstay and first cog. You could try a freewheel with a smaller cog if one is available, or continue with your obvious solution, fine tuning the spacing. Thin spacers ARE available.

FYI, I had this happen to me with an Ultra-6 freewheel on a 5 speed spaced frame.

My tech information is from the 1985 edition of Sutherland's Manual. I checked the 1995 edition and there is no additional information, Campy or otherwise.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I ran into that problem putting a 7 speed freewheel on my 126 spaced Tommasini. Some freewheels have more stack than others. Here's a pic I took at the time to illustrate the difference. The one on the right I think is a Regina CX, the other is a newer Shimano or SunRace - can't remember. Point is, the freewheel can make a difference and get you a few mm.

I just looked at my Tommy and it has a 6 speed on it. I remember at the time, I moved a spacer and did a re-dish on the wheel, but not sure why I went back to the 6.

I will also add, that this issue is frame-specific IME. I have a mid 80's Moser that I had no problem fitting a 7 speed FW on. Currently has a 7 speed Dura Ace, remainder of bike Campy SR of course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Freewheel spacing from seat stay-dsc_0028-1-.jpg