RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007

I have 2006 Centaur

If I upgrade my rear derailleur to 08 Record will I notice a performance difference or is it just lighter than the Centaur derailleur?

RoadBikeReview Member
    You'll climb faster because your wallet will be lighter
    Except that i don't think you'll notice anything.
    Ante Smokrovic

2009 De Rosa Neo Pro - Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, Sella, Gardena, Campalongo, Falzarego, Valparola, San Pellegrino, Valles, Staulanza, Vršič, Mangart, Furcia...

2003 De Rosa Team - Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo, Bonette, Agnel, Izoard, Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, San Pellegrino, Staulanza, Manghen, Vršič, Učka, Mangart, Biokovo, Eisentalhöhe, Schonfeld, Schiestelscharte, Flattnitz...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    If there is significant wear or damage to your current Centaur, then it might benefit your shifting performance to replace. If your rear derailleur is in good shape, I doubt it will make a difference besides a placebo effect.

I have heard it said that the aluminum cage rear derailleur is actually stiffer than the carbon fiber cage, but I don't know if that is based on fact.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007

I am upgrading my shifters to 09

Centaur carbon thought the 08 Record derailleur would go better with the new shifters. My centaur derailleur shifts fine, I wouldn't buy the Record unless it performed better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    derailleur is a spring with jockey wheels - that is it. jeez, slap record on it and a rediculous price and "they will come"

RoadBikeReview Member
    You won't feel any difference in shifting. Lose 1/8 of a pound and you've more than made up for the weight difference,