Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I Rode EPS !!!!

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Interesting thing...

The EPS web page is finally up, as posted by kbwh. The Athena EPS system is not listed, so that seems to confirm that the it will be a 2013 product...
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (steel)
    Full Campagnolo compact drivetrain - Chorus 11sp
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Gobi saddle and bar tape
    BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    Interesting thing...

The EPS web page is finally up, as posted by kbwh. The Athena EPS system is not listed, so that seems to confirm that the it will be a 2013 product...
    Why would you expect anything else. No where has Campag mentioned anything about expanding the range. They haven't even shipped the first groups as it is barely past the stage where Record & Super Record EPS can be ordered. The only source for the Athena EPS news seems to be you.

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimobici View Post
    Why would you expect anything else. No where has Campag mentioned anything about expanding the range. They haven't even shipped the first groups as it is barely past the stage where Record & Super Record EPS can be ordered. The only source for the Athena EPS news seems to be you.

In Here:

Is This:

And This:

And This:

And This:

So, what is your interpretation?
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    BeBop Pedals

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Nicely returned, flat. And thanks for those faximiles.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    Nicely returned, flat. And thanks for those faximiles.
    Well, sometimes you just have to swat your puppies with a rolled newspaper. It's harmless, but it makes the point...
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, sometimes you just have to swat your puppies with a rolled newspaper. It's harmless, but it makes the point...
    I was merely pointing out that it wasn't on the website for the very reason that it's intended to be a 2013 product.

I just find it hilarious that there is discussion of a product that is derived from product that has yet to even get into any store for sale and won't until january or february at the earliest if Campag break the habit of a lifetime and deliver on time.

But in any case, thank you for posting the scans of the catalogue. It's already got people on WW in a tizzy over the imminent demise of Chorus!

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    The problem was that the brochure had no dates, save for what was on the cover. I had guessed that Athena EPS was scheduled for later, but the fact that it wasn't on the web page seemed to confirm it.

I don't know about delivering on time, but the systems are being produced. I saw somewhere that the production rate is 50 groups a day. No word as to how it is split between SuperRecord and Record.

I don't know about Chorus, but Campagnolo does have the habit of dropping a name/line and resurrecting it later. So, I guess we'll see what happens...
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    The problem was that the brochure had no dates, save for what was on the cover. I had guessed that Athena EPS was scheduled for later, but the fact that it wasn't on the web page seemed to confirm it.

I don't know about delivering on time, but the systems are being produced. I saw somewhere that the production rate is 50 groups a day. No word as to how it is split between SuperRecord and Record.

I don't know about Chorus, but Campagnolo does have the habit of dropping a name/line and resurrecting it later. So, I guess we'll see what happens...
    Campagnolo are indeed running at the rate of 50 a day. As a result they're talking about a requirement that the first OE customers will have to take full groupsets and not split them.

As for delivery, they may be knocking out 50 a day, but one has to bear in mind that there are several teams that will be on EPS who have to be supplied first. Movistar, Lampre, Quickstep etc will all take more than a day's production each. Then there's the OE customers, and then aftermarket. I don't think you'll see it on shelves in shops for several months. Just look at Shimano's problems supplying Ultegra Di2.

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Agreed.

The Campagnolo guys said "Spring" when I asked, but it didn't make a lot of difference for me. I need to wait for the dust to settle after upgrading to Chorus.
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agreed.

The Campagnolo guys said "Spring" when I asked, but it didn't make a lot of difference for me. I need to wait for the dust to settle after upgrading to Chorus.
    Once the dust has settled Campagnolo will have ironed out any glitches, if there are any, and also someone will have had the balls to chop open the battery/brain & figured out how to hide it in the frame!

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Actually, the "dust settling" is related to my bank account after going to Chorus! Need to wait for a while until those ripples fade away.

Shimano has an interface unit which is what you connect to do the diagnostics. I suspect that it is also how people connect to the system to hack into it. Campagnolo talks about how their diagnostics are included in the control module. They have not listed or mentioned anything about an interface unit.

SoapBox Time:
    Shimano folks like to point out that the 11sp Campagnolo Chain Tool sells for around $300. However, the SM-EC79 System Checker/Programmer Unit for Di2 systems is more expensive than that. cbike.com in Chicago has it listed for $379.99...
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

Great Post!

Mr. Flatlander,

Much appreciated, this is one of the best posts I've read in a long time.

Thanks again for sharing.

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    No problem. Glad to put a little Karma back into the till. I'll still amazed that I got to do that. I guess there really is something to the saying "Fortune favors the bold.".
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Actually, the "dust settling" is related to my bank account after going to Chorus! Need to wait for a while until those ripples fade away.
    Look on the "bright" side, you have to walk into a shop to see to or buy it. I cannot avoid it as it's my job to deal with it. Like a child in a sweet store!

Shimano has an interface unit which is what you connect to do the diagnostics. I suspect that it is also how people connect to the system to hack into it. Campagnolo talks about how their diagnostics are included in the control module. They have not listed or mentioned anything about an interface unit.
    I think hacking it will be a little harder than Di2. I get the impression that there's less going on with Di2 than EPS in general as well as the "brain" being in the front mech not the battery pack.

SoapBox Time:
    Shimano folks like to point out that the 11sp Campagnolo Chain Tool sells for around $300. However, the SM-EC79 System Checker/Programmer Unit for Di2 systems is more expensive than that. cbike.com in Chicago has it listed for $379.99...
    And the chain tool is not essential. One can use Park's CT-4.2 & CT-11 or use a KMC 11 Speed Connector on the chain. However you have to use the System Checker with Di2.

We got provisional pricing yesterday too. Record EPS will be a shade over 3000 complete with cranks, brakes etc. Super Record & Super Record Ti, add 500 and 650 respectively.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    We got provisional pricing yesterday too. Record EPS will be a shade over 3000 complete with cranks, brakes etc. Super Record & Super Record Ti, add 500 and 650 respectively.
    Thanks. Is that the RRP or 'over the counter' pricing?
    How do those prices compare with your current pricing for mechanical Record and DA Di2?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven_Nijs View Post
    Thanks. Is that the RRP or 'over the counter' pricing?
    How do those prices compare with your current pricing for mechanical Record and DA Di2?
    Di2 2700
    Record - 1700
    Super Record - 2050

RRP has not been promulgated yet. So that price is an estimate, based on Campag's price to us.

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    I think hacking it will be a little harder than Di2. I get the impression that there's less going on with Di2 than EPS in general as well as the "brain" being in the front mech not the battery pack.
    If I could speculate, maybe Campagnolo doesn't want folks hacking into the system, changing stuff and giving the group a bad name if something goes wrong. I could see that. Lots of negative energy out there regarding Campagnolo. Some would look for something negative just to have something to say.

And the chain tool is not essential. One can use Park's CT-4.2 & CT-11 or use a KMC 11 Speed Connector on the chain. However you have to use the System Checker with Di2.
    I'm currently running the KMC Connector. Makes life a lot easier when you have to pack your bike.

It may take quite a while for that dust to settle...
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    BeBop Pedals

classiquesklassieker
    Di2 2700
    Record - 1700
    Super Record - 2050

RRP has not been promulgated yet. So that price is an estimate, based on Campag's price to us.
    Great info, thanks for sharing the estimates. Do those prices include the full groupset, or is that the upgrade beyond a Record or Super Record groupset?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orange_julius View Post
    Great info, thanks for sharing the estimates. Do those prices include the full groupset, or is that the upgrade beyond a Record or Super Record groupset?
    Full group set, so that includes crankset, BB cups, cassette, chain, callipers as well as the EPS bits.

So all in all Record EPS is about 250 more than Di2 but no extra diagnostic kit is required unlike Di2.

classiquesklassieker
    Full group set, so that includes crankset, BB cups, cassette, chain, callipers as well as the EPS bits.

So all in all Record EPS is about 250 more than Di2 but no extra diagnostic kit is required unlike Di2.
    Hey Ultimobici, I think I'm getting some numbers confused here.

You had posted the following, does this refer to the wholesale/OEM price and not the MSRP/RRP?

Quote Originally Posted by ultimobici
    Di2 2700
    Record - 1700
    Super Record - 2050
    So is it correct that your estimate of the Record EPS full groupset is around 3000? Just want to get an idea how much coin I have to save up :-D. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by orange_julius View Post
    Hey Ultimobici, I think I'm getting some numbers confused here.

You had posted the following, does this refer to the wholesale/OEM price and not the MSRP/RRP?

So is it correct that your estimate of the Record EPS full groupset is around 3000? Just want to get an idea how much coin I have to save up :-D. Thanks.
    3000-3100 for a complete record eps groupset inc BB, cranks, brakes, cassette & chain.

Devoid of all flim-flam

Hacking?

Could somebody fill me in on the subject of hacking when it comes to electronic gear change mechanisms? Are folks afraid that Andre Greipel will push a button in the middle of a sprint and put Cavendish into the small ring?
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think the concern is expessed in terms of how it relates to the company itself as they don't want someone messing with the programming then claiming warranty issues after they screw something up. By the way in the Campy video of the brain I'm pretty sure they mentioned that the charging port is a multi pin connector and can be used to diagnose and download firmware if required.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    <...>Campagnolo does have the habit of dropping a name/line and resurrecting it later. So, I guess we'll see what happens...
    Croce d'Aune, please.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Video on the history of electronic shifting systems at Campagnolo...

EPS: the history - YouTube

This started in the early 90's for Campagnolo, but I don't have an idea of when Shimano started work on what became Di2...
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    BeBop Pedals

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast