RoadBikeReview Member

Index shifting off by one click in rear

My index shifting off by one click in rear. (this is a new installation of Chorus 10 speed Shifter and Centaur Rear 10 speed, 13-29)

There's one more click available at the smallest sprocket, but obviously it doesn't have anywhere to drop to.

It does not 'click' properly up to the largest cog, even though it does 'shift' up there without a 'click' per se, and not smoothly. The low gear limit screw is not the problem, I backed that screw out and there's plenty of room for rear der to travel toward the spokes if it wanted to. I looked up inside from underneath and can see it is not touching the plate. (I will readjust for safety, when I get the shift correct.)

I'm pretty darn sure I zeroed the rear der shifter before I started. I did it twice to be sure it was zeroed, so I am not sure how it could be one click off.

I've tried increasing cable tension a couple of times to no avail. The first time I found I had a cable housing ferrule hung up on the edge of a frame cable stop, and fixed that.

Any suggestions as to what to check first, look at first to solve this one-click-off situation?

Also if zeroing out is the issue, can I zero out and start again without having to take the cable all the way out of the housing, and completely out of the shifter?
    Last edited by rideorglide; 02-15-2008 at 07:00 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Release the cable and make sure it will go on the final cog. Did you make sure it was in the finally position before attaching the cable? Did you make sure the shifter was in the final position not the second before attaching the cable? Is the cable attached on the inside of the pinch bolt? Are all of your housings properly seated?
    For my next trick I will now set myself on fire!

RoadBikeReview Member
    short cage rer der will only work to 27 teeth, do you have mediam cage? I may be wrong.

Still On Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdave
    short cage rer der will only work to 27 teeth, do you have mediam cage? I may be wrong.
    I have a short-cage Centaur rear der and a 13-29. Works fine.
    Allez Rouge

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Hi rideorglide,

It may be that you have a bent rear mech hanger. It's tricky to check with eye judgement unless it's really bad, you will need a special alinement tool to check and fix it, which I'm sure your local bike shop would have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks everyone, it's helps coming back to the thing a few days later with a fresh set of perspectives. And sometimes getting down underneath and looking at things from a different angle.

Tightened the shifters on the bars, unclamped the cable, re-zeroed the shifters juan more time. Got the cable nice and taut, then retightened carefully making sure the cable was properly clamped in the groove and the torque was right, then realigned the chain at the fourth sprocket with the barrel adjuster, and everything seemed to fall into place pretty quickly.

Took the new bike out for it's maiden test ride after. So it was 30 degrees -- no way I was waiting for spring for that!

Couldn't resist trying the 13-29 on the brutal local gradients. Seems to be just the ticket. Chorus / Centaur mix is pretty sweet. (Yes, the cage is a medium cage for those who asked.)