RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013

Angry Newbie problems - Athena tuning

I've got bicycle with 11s Athena on it and being happy so far, but what bothers me is that Athena feels like staying out of tune most of time. I am really tired of setting it back every few days so that it switches speeds smoothly without "half ways" and noises.
    Is it normal? Or is it just new and needs some tune in?
    Thank you!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    In my experience, Athena has been rock solid. Set it once and forget it. I suspect your system wasn't set up properly in the first place. FD or RD problems? Either way, if you methodically follow Campy's set up instructions about limit screws and tension adjustment etc you can get a perfect result. Not as much fun as fiddling with (!) but if you follow all their steps from beginning to end, it should work well. The instructions are translated from Italian and can be a little confusing, but stick with it. If it doesn't dial right in, then there's some other problem like a bent RD hanger or something. A bike shop can help with that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ditto. if RD cable housing is not properly seated then you would see this kind of problem. or cable slipping at RD. mine's been perfect from the day I installed it. the RD housing and cable install should be checked. and I find a high proportion of RD hangers need alignment - worth a check.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    If it's a new set up the Ferrels (sp?) may not be completely seated on the housing ends, they can be a tight fit sometimes. This would cause things to go "slightly" out of adjustment for the first few rides then eventually they would seat properly.
    The method I usually use to ensure everything is seated is to pedal the bike, grab the shift cable at the downtube and give it a good pull outward to cycle the derailleur the entire gear range. Let it drop back down to the 11 and check the cable tension. If it changed then then either the ferrels settled or your cable clamp screw slipped. I've run Campagnolo for close to 20 years. IMO with all my stuff I set it and forget it.
    Randy
    Ridgway, Colorado

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's definitely not normal. I run a mix of Centaur and Veloce, and I rarely, if ever need to adjust/tweak things.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Thank you everyone for answers!
    I did not install the set myself, got it installed by bicycle maker representatives so thought it is going to be fine. Anyways, will look around cable connections and also just ride around to see if it gets fine with time.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    Tune in

The most common cause is a "floating first gear"

Make sure the first gear is aligned right., so align in with no tension in the cable. Best if you do it without any cable at all.

otherwise the indexing will allways fall slightly wrong to the next cogs.

second, check the cable runs smooth in the housings, again with the cable removed from the derailer, go through the clicks and see if the cable is not stuck somewhere.

HTH
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    You can find Campagnolo's set-up docs here:
    The official Campagnolo web site - Bicycle Parts and Components Cycling - Technical documentation

As several people have noted, proper adjustment begins with the cabling not connected. A lot of people skip this important step. My advice is to loosen whatever cable is giving you problems (FD or RD) and start over - checking and adjusting. Really - just takes a few minutes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Thank you for kind answers and link for Campagnolo's manual!
    Re-set up dérailleur today and found the problem with cable tension which was very much not enough. Today it switches like dream, let's see how it evolves later.