Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Bianchi-Campagnolo
    The Campagnolo solution is very nice if you have to open it because of an untrue wheel: there is no loss of braking power.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    The Campagnolo solution is very nice if you have to open it because of an untrue wheel: there is no loss of braking power.
    Which can be a crucial safety feature: If you suddenly realize that you forgot to re-tighten the brake release on Shimano or SRAM, which will typically happen when you really need that braking power since there's otherwise no indication that anything is wrong, you're screwed, because you simply can't brake anymore. Very bad thing; as they put it so lovely in the manual, this can result in serious injury or death...

With Campy, first of all you should notice that something is wrong by the unusual position of the brake lever, but even if you're dense enough to not get the hint for some reason, you still have the full braking power available to save your ass.

Anphaque II
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirx View Post
    Which can be a crucial safety feature: If you suddenly realize that you forgot to re-tighten the brake release on Shimano or SRAM, which will typically happen when you really need that braking power since there's otherwise no indication that anything is wrong, you're screwed, because you simply can't brake anymore. Very bad thing; as they put it so lovely in the manual, this can result in serious injury or death...

With Campy, first of all you should notice that something is wrong by the unusual position of the brake lever, but even if you're dense enough to not get the hint for some reason, you still have the full braking power available to save your ass.

Very interesting.

Thanks for sharing the tip !
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

Centaur

I am also a nooB on the road bike forums my present Le Champion is too large.
    Although has NR Campagnolo derailers.

Going to put a Centaur 10s crank on a Serotta frame, does the rear sprocket matter which group is used Centaur 10s or other? Assuming needs yo be a 10 speed version.

There is a Vuelta XRP wheel used with a Campognolo 12T, can this be used with a Centaur sprocket/crank.
    Could use the Nuvo Record derailers or another group.

Thanx

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by seaswood View Post
    I am also a nooB on the road bike forums my present Le Champion is too large.
    Although has NR Campagnolo derailers.

Going to put a Centaur 10s crank on a Serotta frame, does the rear sprocket matter which group is used Centaur 10s or other? Assuming needs yo be a 10 speed version.

There is a Vuelta XRP wheel used with a Campognolo 12T, can this be used with a Centaur sprocket/crank.
    Could use the Nuvo Record derailers or another group.

Thanx
    All Campagnolo 10-speed sprockets will work with all newer Campagnolo 10-speed drivetrains. Cranksets are almost interchangeable as long as the BB is compatible. Is this what you are asking?

For older rear derailleurs, in addition to having to be 10-speed, some of them have limits on the largest cog on the sprocket you can use. Go to the Campagnolo website to download year-specific instructions to make sure.

Formosan Cyclocross
    I have just over a year since I switched from Shimano to Campy. I will never go back. Every shift is still flawless, even after a year of some heavy riding on the same chain. I finally switched the chain out. I also cleaned out some gunk from the flywheels and couldn't believe I hadn't noticed anything amiss in the shifting. I had one dropped chain about two weeks into riding Campy. The thumb tabs are excellent for a lazy guy like myself with short fingers and a penchant for shifting with my pinky. I can access a shift from anywhere on the bars. I love my Chorus. Not to mention putting in 150 miles of hard riding in total comfort with those ergonomically dreamy grips.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Ah, the old Campy versus Shimano debate. How many decades has it been going on?

It brings out strong emotions for some people.

My take, having owned both is that they're both (probably SRAM too) very good. They will both last a long time. They function a bit differently, so it's mostly personal preference. If you can get a chance to try each system, do so. I doubt, if you're being objective, you'll find one vastly superior to the other in terms of performance.

You probably don't need Record or Dura Ace unless you just want the best and money is no object. The one step down groups -- Chorus and Ultegra -- are very good. The price difference will save you enough money for a nice set of wheels. It certianly isn't worth the weight savings.

If you're going through your LBS, I'd find what they get for Campy here in the U.S. pretty hard to swallow. You can get Campy groups much cheaper from one of those UK vendors (I've used ribble.com). For that reason, you'll probably have a hard time finding a Campy bike to test ride. Maybe you can find a friend or friend of a friend who will let you borrow his bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by orange_julius View Post
    All Campagnolo 10-speed sprockets will work with all newer Campagnolo 10-speed drivetrains. Cranksets are almost interchangeable as long as the BB is compatible. Is this what you are asking?

For older rear derailleurs, in addition to having to be 10-speed, some of them have limits on the largest cog on the sprocket you can use. Go to the Campagnolo website to download year-specific instructions to make sure.
    Yes probably will go for new drive train & brakes from ribble.com.
    Was going to mix parts but seems apparent Campagnolo is the way to go.

Anyone know what Campagnolo 12T sprocket means?

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Probably relates to a cassette lockring for a cassette with a 12 tooth smallest sprocket (e.g 12-27) IIRC Campagnolo includes a lockring for an 11 tooth smallest sprocket with cassettes that starts out with an 11 tooth sprocket (e.g 11-23).
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    twelve tooth.
    i.e 12-23 cassette rather than 11-21.

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dajianshan View Post
    I have just over a year since I switched from Shimano to Campy. I will never go back. Every shift is still flawless, even after a year of some heavy riding on the same chain. I finally switched the chain out. I also cleaned out some gunk from the flywheels and couldn't believe I hadn't noticed anything amiss in the shifting. I had one dropped chain about two weeks into riding Campy. The thumb tabs are excellent for a lazy guy like myself with short fingers and a penchant for shifting with my pinky. I can access a shift from anywhere on the bars. I love my Chorus. Not to mention putting in 150 miles of hard riding in total comfort with those ergonomically dreamy grips.
    Amen.
    2016 Ritchey BreakAway (carbon)
    Full Campagnolo drivetrain - Chorus 11sp (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Zonda wheels
    Lezyne Super GPS w/Cateye speed/cadence & HR sensors
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Four quick things:

1) Regarding Athena 11 shifters, they used to be Ultra Shift in 2010 before they changed to Power Shift in 2011. I recently bought some new 2010 Ultra Shift Athena 11 shifters from Velo Mine so that the shifting would be like my '10 Ultra Shift SR11 gruppo. They still have them as part of an Athena 11 gruppo (currently on sale for $900) or separately for around $185.

2) I mentioned this in another thread, but one thing I've appreciated about the 11-speed cassettes is not the ability to fill in gaps between 17T-19T, 19T-21T, 21T-23T, etc. (which never really bothered me too much anyway), but instead to provide a little extra range of gearing: this gives the traditional 12-25 that I was already used to and happy with, and adds an extra 27T to give the ability to spin up hills and avoid shifting between chainrings as much.

3) Regarding the carbon cranks versus the aluminum, it appears that the anti-wear/anti-corrosion treatment has been reserved for the carbon cranks' rings. [Once again the Athena cranks used to be available in the aluminum and carbon versions in 2010.] I don't have any empirical or scientific data regarding the relative wear rates between my SR11 rings and the rings on my old Ultegra 6600 cranks but I can tell you that the SR11 rings LOOK relatively unscathed after more kms than my Ultegra rings did.

4) Finally, [when will this guy shut up?] as long as I don't need to worry about my next contract, I look at this whole riding thing as an enjoyable luxury pursuit. To me spending an extra $500 to be really comfortable doing what involves great effort for long periods of time is fully justified: if improved shifting ergonomics, reliability and the comfort of your saddle cost a bit extra, I'll gladly pony up. And my experience with this stuff has, so far, made me happy to have gone the route I did...

Cheers, and best of luck with your build.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

tools

Tools needed to change BB & rear sprocket, campy specific.
    Anyone have information or links so I can get tools when I order parts.
    I have a pin wrench but some instruction alluded to a bigger wrench for sprocket.
    & BB.
    I hav no doubt it is here somewhere

orange_julius;3880716]All Campagnolo 10-speed sprockets will work with all newer Campagnolo 10-speed drivetrains. Cranksets are almost interchangeable as long as the BB is compatible. Is this what you are asking?
    Yes.
    For older rear derailleurs, in addition to having to be 10-speed, some of them have limits on the largest cog on the sprocket you can use. Go to the Campagnolo website to download year-specific instructions to make sure.[/QUOTE]

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Google is your friend
    If buying your other stuff from Ribble:
    Campagnolo TOOLS at Ribble Cycles
    You should only need the tool at the top as I think the Centaur BB is the same as old Chorus/Record but happy to be corrected.

Anphaque II
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven_Nijs View Post
    Google is your friend
    If buying your other stuff from Ribble:
    Campagnolo TOOLS at Ribble Cycles
    You should only need the tool at the top as I think the Centaur BB is the same as old Chorus/Record but happy to be corrected.

Awesome!

Thanks for the tip !

Anphaque II
    Tech question:

If I want a SR cranks in 180mm and SR TT/Tri chainrings in 42/55, would said chainrings mount to said crankset?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

arm length: 175mm chainrings: 52/39t material: aluminum

Another new to new Campagnolo question.
    Is there any reason the new ultra drive cassette & chain would not work with albeit new but older crank Centaur?
    not ultra drive
    arm length: 175mm
    chainrings: 52/39t
    material: aluminum
    this would be matched with a 2012 Centaur set of derailers.

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by seaswood View Post
    Another new to new Campagnolo question.
    Is there any reason the new ultra drive cassette & chain would not work with albeit new but older crank Centaur?
    not ultra drive
    arm length: 175mm
    chainrings: 52/39t
    material: aluminum
    this would be matched with a 2012 Centaur set of derailers.
    Should be fine. And you meant to say that the older-model Centaur crankset is not Ultra Torque, right?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by orange_julius View Post
    Should be fine. And you meant to say that the older-model Centaur crankset is not Ultra Torque, right?
    Yes older crank not Ultra Torque, before i order rear sprocket & chain.
    to go with Serotta frame, Mavic kyrium SL wheels so far.
    Thanx

Anphaque II
    New nOOB question:

Do I need a Campagnolo hub/Campagnolo axle to run Campagnolo 11 cassettes?

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    DT Swiss, Chris King, Mavic, Tune, and several 'lesser' brands all make C11-compatible (free-)hubs or wheels.
    The current Campagnolo freehub spline pattern is compatible with their 9, 10 and 11 speed groups.

Anphaque II
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    DT Swiss, Chris King, Mavic, Tune, and several 'lesser' brands all make C11-compatible (free-)hubs or wheels.
    The current Campagnolo freehub spline pattern is compatible with their 9, 10 and 11 speed groups.
    Awesome!

Thanks for the reply and suggestions !

New nOOB tech question :

If I buy the SR EPS in individual pieces (As in buying from Wiggle), will I have to buy the battery&charger, wiring harness, etc. separately as well?

Secondary question: Is this how one usually buys the groupset; by individual component purchase?

So. Calif.
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    New nOOB question:
    Do I need a Campagnolo hub/Campagnolo axle to run Campagnolo 11 cassettes?
    As stated, Yes, you need a Campy-compatible freehub.

What I wanted to add is, some wheel/hub combinations can be very tight on clearances.
    Check w/ the wheel Mfr to ensure they claim it is "Campag 11 speed compatible".

My Zipp 404 (188 hub) is one such wheel -- rear derailler has to be setup very carefully, since there's not much clearance between spokes & the RD. After consulting w/ Zipp, I added 1 extra of their 0.25 mm spacers behind the freehub.

So. Calif.
    If I buy the SR EPS in individual pieces (As in buying from Wiggle), will I have to buy the battery&charger, wiring harness, etc. separately as well?

Secondary question: Is this how one usually buys the groupset; by individual component purchase?
    1) Don't know.

2) Retailers sell groupsets both ways, pre-kitted and by individual pieces. It's worth pricing both ways, even from the same retailer, because one method can noticeably cheaper.

Not that hard to spec out individual pieces. Starting from scratch, you'd typically need:
    Crankset (bearings are included and pressed on)
    Bottom bracket cups
    brake/shift levers (includes all cables).
    front derailler
    rear derailler
    cassette
    chain
    brake calipers (usually sold in sets of front & rear).

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    From what I have seen from the various resellers is either by individual components or by groupset. There is no other choice like Electronics Components Group. Not saying that someone couldn't decide to do that, but so far no one has. If I do EPS, my thinking was the same. I would buy the electronics hardware separately as I currently have a Chorus set up.

There are usually 3 ways:

• Individual drivetrain pieces to make up a groupset
    • Groupset: drivetrain components usually of the same level; i.e. Ultegra, Chorus, Force, etc.
    • Build Kit: drivetrain components, wheels, tires, handlebars, etc.; essentially everything you would need to build a bike excluding the frame and fork.
    2016 Ritchey BreakAway (carbon)
    Full Campagnolo drivetrain - Chorus 11sp (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Zonda wheels
    Lezyne Super GPS w/Cateye speed/cadence & HR sensors
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast