Matnlely Dregaend

Over-torque BSA BB not available?

Campy makes it, but no one has it in stock? Part number is OC14-COS1G, any idea why it's not available?
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    I googled just to see and I found no US or European sellers. There's this one in Japan http://www.japanbidstore.co.kr/mall/...e/JP/pageNo/19

My impression on OT is that the market has deemed it a failure, and retailers no longer seem to be supporting it, and have been clearing out stock.

You could also try contacting Graeme at the UK service centre - Velotech. He's the best internet source for Campy info.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Adorable Furry Hombre
    "What is Aleppo?"-Gary Johnson September 2016

Matnlely Dregaend
    I saw that but the place looks sketchy, I bet they'll cancel my order after some hassle. I stick to PBK, Ribble, Wiggle, CRC, Merlin, Total Cycling, even a place like Bike24 doesn't have it. Too bad, the cranks are selling dirt cheap, for half the cost of their UT equivalent.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    But still expensive for a paper weight. If you cannot make it work, any money spent is a waste of money.

Good luck with finding an adapter. I'm certain there is one more left in the world collecting dust on the shelf.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Since OT is really just Campy's way of saying BB386Evo, why not a FSA BB? https://store.stagescycling.com/fsa-...road-p802.aspx

One.

So. Calif.
    If Over-Torque is indeed just a BB386Evo, how about one of the Wheels Manufacturing adapters?
    http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets.html

They make adapters that would allow a BB386Evo crank to fit into many types of frames.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's some evidence that I am correct and that any BB386Evo BB will work with Overtorque.

C-Bear offer the same BB for all these:

BSA Only
    Campagnolo Over Torque
    FSA EVO 386
    FSA EVO 392 (MTB)
    THM Clavicula
    Tune Smart Foot
    Zipp Vumaquad
    https://www.c-bear.com/en/products/b...icula-bsa-only

Of course one would then have to go buy the special tools needed.

IMO this may go down as the most over-designed, overwrought piece of Campy engineering ever. Worse than the Delta brake. Worse than the death pedals. Worse than PT.
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 12-30-2016 at 04:12 PM.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I was keen to get the Overtorque Comp Ultra crank after reading about it. Got one from the UK last month for around $190. But then I discovered that the installation / removal tool (UT-FC220) and the PF30 bearings/cups are out of stock everywhere. Outside Outfitters advertised that they had them and took my money; but they just refunded on the tool, saying Campy discontinued it, and I suspect they'll do the same on the bearings.

I'm glad to learn that I may be able to use a BB386Evo bottom bracket. Any ideas about the tool -- it doesn't look easy to cheat and I live 340 miles from the nearest authorized campy repair place (in Denver)

Also, does anyone know what went wrong with this crank -- reviews were initially very positive? I see "overdesigned and overwrought" above; but I'm not sure what those terms mean in this context.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I see "overdesigned and overwrought" above; but I'm not sure what those terms mean in this context.
    That was my opinion, and I see that no one jumped in afterwards to argue the point.

To me a good design is one that:

a: works well

b: is simple to install, remove and maintain.

My criticism of the OT design really boils down to the way the NDS crank is attached, and the special tooling needed to install and remove it. This of course followed on from the PT design which was also bad, and Campy managed to make even more complicated.

Contrast this with TruVativ's GXP design. A model of simplicity. You just need an 8 mm hex and the NDS crank removes itself.

Campy has a bit of a history (and this is only my opinion again), of looking at a patented design, and saying "how can we make this similar but different enough to avoid a patent infringement?"

In my view their PT and OT designs derive from the earlier GXP design.

Similarly back in the early '90's, Campy had a pedal that was heavy and complex. LOOK had a pedal that was a model of simplicity in comparison. Campy gave up on their design and briefly licenced the LOOK pedal, before redesigning it just enough and coming out with their own more complicated solution.

Note that with the 2015 redesign of the upper level cranks, OT was passed over. It seemed pretty obvious by last year that the market had spoken, and Campy were giving up on OT.

Now that you have the crank I'd suggest eBay or Amazon searches for the tool might turn up something.

Google returned this right away. At a liquidation place. Campagnolo UT-FC220 Over-Torque Crankset Crank Arm/Chainring
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 6 Days Ago at 02:30 AM.

One.

Matnlely Dregaend
    I wound up sticking with UltraTorque, mainly to keep everything compatible, plus I have all the bearing tools for UT.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Funny you should mention UT bearing tools, DrSmile. My 2009 SR BB bearings still run like new. Pretty good ROI, SR crank bearings.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Many thanks, bikerjulio. I like your explanation and I hope that you or someone here can help me some more, as I'm mostly on my own out here in rural W. Kansas. I'll try that link you shared. But so far I have paid two sites for that tool and both times they didn't really have it and eventually refunded my money. None of the sites from which I have bought Campy before have the tool in stock.

Meanwhile, my Overtorque Comp Ultra crankset is still new in the box and I could just sell it on ebay and continue saving for a Record crankset for this bike, which is what I was originally going for. The reason I bought the Overtorque was that I suddenly found one cheap and I thought from reviews that it would be just as good as a Record or better, especially for this frame because it has a PF30 bottom bracket shell.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

UltraTorque

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    I wound up sticking with UltraTorque, mainly to keep everything compatible, plus I have all the bearing tools for UT.

That's what I should have done, I think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Honestly, in your shoes, I'd ditch the OT crank and go with UT. A couple of suggestions there too:

The pre-2015 cranksets will be discounted. Try places like Velomine. If you said specifically what crank you wanted I'd have a look around. Other than the name there is zero difference between Chorus and Record.

The internet is full of stories of PF30 BB problems. Fortunately there is a solution. You need a threaded-together, Campy compatible BB. Praxis is one. There may be others I can't remember. Do a search on the forums. Campy got off to a bad start with their pressed-in cups. Parlee cups got better reviews. But overall the Praxis type is probably going to be easier to install and more reliable.

Good luck.

Chorus 11 Speed Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

Record 11 Speed Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

https://www.praxiscycles.com/product...bb-campagnolo/
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 4 Days Ago at 04:08 AM.

One.