TZL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Record 10 Carbon rear derailleur with 12-27?

Hi campy owners,

Will a short caged Campy record 10 rear derailleur work with a 12-27 10 spd cassette capacity wise? or should i go for a Med. caged derailleur?

yes, for those of you that guessed it, I am out to commit sacrilidge, my new build is Campy Record 10 Carbon Shifters, and Derailleurs, with Shimano DA10 crankset, cassette, chain, shimano compat-wheels, and JTEK shiftmate to make it all shift together
    Giant TCR Composite, Campy Record 10 Carbon w/ DA10 7800 cranks, Zero Gravity 05-Ti Brakes, Lew Sydneys, FSA K-Wing, FSA-OS-115 Stem, Speedplay. 6300grams/13.88lbs

Giant TCR Team Aluminum, Easton EC90SL Fork, Shimano DA9, Mavic Ksyrium SL

Giant MCR Aero, Easton Aero Fork, Easton Carbon controls, Spinergy X-Aero Extralights (yes, dangerous, i know!)

Also Giant MCM Team and Giant NRS Team Composite

85,000 gram rider.........

RoadBikeReview Member
    You will probably have a very hot afterlife, but hey it's your choice... ;)

I've never tried a 12-27, but my 12-25 works great with my short cage Record and I'm certain I could use a 27 with no problems.YMMV

TZL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the reply

does anyone know for sure? i know that campy doesn't make a 12/27 10spd std like shimano does, and the Shimano DA10 RD short cage does 12/27 fine.......so shouldn't the Record 10 RD make it also?

Yeah I know i'm going to burn in hell.........but i really might just be creating the best of both worlds with my Shimano / Campy mix.......hopefully.
    Giant TCR Composite, Campy Record 10 Carbon w/ DA10 7800 cranks, Zero Gravity 05-Ti Brakes, Lew Sydneys, FSA K-Wing, FSA-OS-115 Stem, Speedplay. 6300grams/13.88lbs

Giant MCR Aero, Easton Aero Fork, Easton Carbon controls, Spinergy X-Aero Extralights (yes, dangerous, i know!)

TZL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    thanks for the help, the bike gets finished up this weekend so we'll see how it does........

Every little counts...
    I use a short cage RD and switch wheels from 11-23 to 13-29 and everything in between. No problems. Just make sure your chain is long enough (but no longer) for big-big and go.

eminence grease
    I'm using the short cage RD with a Campy casette modified to 12x29.

No problems.

TZL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    thanks, good to know

Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    I'm using the short cage RD with a Campy casette modified to 12x29.

No problems.