classiquesklassieker

Red Kite Player post on Super Record

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    ...the Delta brake <...> Imagine something as pretty as an iPod but with circa 1990s system software by Microsoft.
    That made me laugh. Thanks for the link. RKP has been under my radar.
    Last edited by kbwh; 01-17-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    That made me laugh. Thanks for the link. RKP has been under my radar.
    Damn ... why did I post this thread on Doping?

Anyway, kbwh, you know you want this t-shirt.

The Squad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Red Kite Player post on Super Record-squad-hgrey.jpg  

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by orange_julius View Post
    And now the concluding article has been posted, too:
    Battle Royal: The Wrap-Up : Red Kite Prayer

To quote:

And the winner is Ö
    As I tallied up the various considerations above, I suspected that what I was going to find was that Iíd given more points to Red than the other groups. I was surprised to find that it was essentially a tie between Super Record and Red. When I think about the bikes Iíve had at my disposal recently, I realized that I chose which bike to ride according to the following criteria:

If the bike absolutely had to work correctly at all times and I knew I couldnít afford a missed shift due to drivetrain vagaries, I chose Red.

If I wanted the perfect gearing for a hilly day and light shifting plus terrific progressive brake power for descending, I chose Super Record.

I seem to wind up on Dura-Ace only when itís the equipment on the bike that I want to ride.

My Super Record drivetrain has been so fussy that there have been rides where Iíve made a conscious choice not to take it. The more I think about it the more I realize that if the drivetrain had worked flawlessly all the timeóinstead of only recentlyóI probably wouldnít be as enamored with Red as I am. All of the groups have issues that bug me. Iíd like the Super Record brake lever throw to be adjustable. I hate the Super Record brake quick release. Iíd like more cassette choices in Red. Iíd like lighter shift action with Dura-Ace. All that said, that 11-speed 12-27 cassette paired with a compact crank will get me through any terrain when Iím fit. And if Iím not fit (which would include all of 2011 and every bit of 2012 so far), well maybe Fatty will let me contribute to Fat Cyclist again. In the meantime, I think Iím going to go lube my Campy chain; Iím riding it tomorrow. And the next day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very interesting. Also interesting that he seems to have his SR group installed on the exact same Felt F1 frame I ride. I wonder if his group had been installed as perfectly as mine, with no "drivetrain vagaries" or "fussieness" of any kind, maybe SR would have come out the clear winner. But, to be clear, I think his reviews are fair. Even though he says he doesn't like that kind of a conclusion, what I ultimately take from his articles is that it does mostly come down to personal preference. Ride what you like best.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    I find his interesting that his fave hate with SR is the brake quick release. I always liked that I could open it and not loose braking performance, but I've got a pianist's hands...

And that's a beautiful T-shirt. Thanks. I ordered the white one.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    I find his interesting that his fave hate with SR is the brake quick release. I always liked that I could open it and not loose braking performance,
    I agree. I also considered the fact that the lever sticks out if you forget to re-tighten after having changed a tube an important safety feature: First of all, you could notice pretty much right away that something's amiss, and even if you don't notice until you suddenly need the brakes, you'll still have full braking power available. If you forget to tighten your quick release with one of the other groups, and you really need those brakes all of a sudden, you're screwed...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Of course, there is a lot of personal preference involved in any type of comparison, but I do wonder about several things. The fact that both of my Super Record groups have consistently performed flawlessly with very little attention makes me wish he had defined "finicky" a little better. Perhaps it is only the setup that is finicky (I don't think it is), and once SR is installed correctly, things go very smoothly.

OK, this is the thing most strongly influenced by personal preference, but SRAM Red is better looking than Campagnolo Super Record? Hmmm...
    TOM
    USA Cycling Certified Coach
    Cycle University

www.tomsbicycleblog.blogspot.com

2014 S-Works Tarmac SL4 Conador Edition Campy Super Record
    2012 S-Works Epic 29er
    2009 Rodriguez Custom Steel Campy Super Record