Anphaque II
    Aug 2010

Question Shifter Lever Swap

Is it possible to swap silver levers to Chorus shifters?

If I build a retro classic steel frame, I would like the shifting quality of the Chorus with the retro look of silver shifter levers.

Also; Are the shifting qualities by using Athena front and rear derailleur with Chorus shifters the same as using all Chorus drivetrain? Or do I have to use all Chorus to get that quality.

Or to put it another way: Are there any shifting quality differences between Chorus derailleurs and Athena derailleurs?

Again, the reason for this question is that I want the shifting quality of Chorus with the retro look of silver derailleurs.
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

RoadBikeReview Member
    If the bike were mine and I wanted the Athena levers, I'd just go with the Athena group. I'v got about 11,000 miles on a Centaur group, which is just below Athena, with nary a problem.

Most of the shifting action is out of the levers, so my reasoning is either upgrade the levers or match them to the deraileurs.
    But that's just me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Athena shifters are fine. I can detect no difference in shifting quality or sounds (both very quiet), between my Chorus and Athena bikes. The multi-upshift feature of Chorus is nice but not a deal-breaker IMO.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Hucken The Fard Up !
    Fortunately I stashed a full silver 2009 Centaur Ultra Torque/Shift groupset. ( plus a set of shifters I have in my parts inventory )

It is build in the moment on my Colnago Dream while I wait for my Master 30th.

The full group will be transferred to the Master, including the bottle cages and wheels, then this Dream will be rebuilt on full Dura Ace 9 and put for sale.

As I have read the only difference in the internals is that the shifters use bushings and not bearings ( just like the Chorus 11 )

It's a pitty there was never a full silver 11 speed Athena UT/US, the Athena UT/US was made with carbon cranks and shifters, velomine has them still.

also you could buy the full silver Athena PT/PS and get only the Ultra Shift replacement assembly ( that comes withouth the blades and hoods ) maybe you can save some money like that

like those record ones ( those should have bearings )

Campagnolo Record Left Ultra Shift Lever Body Assembly | eBay
    Campagnolo Record Right Ultra Shift Lever Body Assembly | eBay
    Last edited by Salsa_Lover; 03-30-2013 at 05:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_Lover View Post
    Fortunately I stashed a full silver 2009 Centaur Ultra Torque/Shift groupset. ( plus a set of shifters I have in my parts inventory )

It is build in the moment on my Colnago Dream while I wait for my Master 30th.

The full group will be transferred to the Master, including the bottle cages and wheels, then this Dream will be rebuilt on full Dura Ace 9 and put for sale.

As I have read the only difference in the internals is that the shifters use bushings and not bearings ( just like the Chorus 11 )

It's a pitty there was never a full silver 11 speed Athena UT/US, the Athena UT/US was made with carbon cranks and shifters, velomine has them still.

also you could buy the full silver Athena PT/PS and get only the Ultra Shift replacement assembly ( that comes withouth the blades and hoods ) maybe you can save some money like that

like those record ones ( those should have bearings )

Campagnolo Record Left Ultra Shift Lever Body Assembly | eBay
    Campagnolo Record Right Ultra Shift Lever Body Assembly | eBay

Holy Italian bike pron !

Judging by the HT, the I'm guessing the frame is a 55cm or 56cm. How close am I?

Hucken The Fard Up !

Shifter Lever Swap

57cm

I like it a lot but I think a Master is what will be my perfect retro all-metal bike

I ride a 56 and this one is just a little big

Notice that older Colnagos have a little shorter HT, this one has the same HT as my 56cm C50
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not correct. The Athena internals are the completely different escape mechanism. NTTAWWT.

It's a pity there was never a full silver 11 speed Athena UT/US, the Athena UT/US was made with carbon cranks and shifters, velomine has them still.
    Not correct again. There has always been a full silver Athena group. See here:

Ribble Cycles Groupset Creator
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Hucken The Fard Up !

Shifter Lever Swap

I was talking only about UT/US so Ultra Torque/Ultra Shift groups.

The full silver Athena was already power shift.

I remember having seen UT silver Athena cranks, but the only US Athena shifter were available only in the "carbon laminate" finished alloy.
    Last edited by Salsa_Lover; 03-30-2013 at 12:59 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    Is it possible to swap silver levers to Chorus shifters?

If I build a retro classic steel frame, I would like the shifting quality of the Chorus with the retro look of silver shifter levers.
    Yes, you can, at least in the case of Powershift lever to an Ultrashift body. I swapped the alloy finger levers from a set of 2011 Athena Powershift levers to a set of 2010 Athena Ultrashift levers that originally had carbon/plastic finger levers. Below is a picture I took showing the differences between the two. The alloy lever is the PS, the plastic is the US. The springs between the two are different. Use the spring that's assembled with the lever (US spring for the US lever).

Shifter Lever Swap-i-ppbkt95-l.jpg

Below is the result. A 2011 Athena group with alloy Ultrashift levers (and an Ultratorque crank).

Shifter Lever Swap-i-mxhrkfr-l.jpg

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by clalor View Post
    Yes, you can, at least in the case of Powershift lever to an Ultrashift body. I swapped the alloy finger levers from a set of 2011 Athena Powershift levers to a set of 2010 Athena Ultrashift levers that originally had carbon/plastic finger levers. Below is a picture I took showing the differences between the two. The alloy lever is the PS, the plastic is the US. The springs between the two are different. Use the spring that's assembled with the lever (US spring for the US lever).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i-PpBKT95-L.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	278244

Below is the result. A 2011 Athena group with alloy Ultrashift levers (and an Ultratorque crank).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i-mxhRKFr-L.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	278245
    Thanks for the tech!

Wow; You have a Kirk! Very, very nice !

What year is the frame?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    Thanks for the tech!

Wow; You have a Kirk! Very, very nice !

What year is the frame?
    You're welcome. I hope it helps.

It's a 2012, received close to a year after I put my deposit in.

Good luck with the swap if you end up doing it.