Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Syncro

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Syncro

Anyone have success with syncro shifters? I'm thinking about using them on a build. They would be 2nd gen C Record.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I ran Synchro 8's on two bikes for many years. Worked great. Just last year though found a pair of Chorus Ergo 8s on the bay and I love them. Way better than Shimano.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Well you probably read my post in your Bianchi thread but I'm 3 for 3 success with Syncro 2, although technically one of them is 8 speed Record, so I don't think that is actually Syncro.

'85 Merckx Pro with 6 speed C Record RD
    '89 Bianchi Giro with 7 speed Athena RD
    '89 Merckx Century with 8 speed Chorus RD

I'm going to start building up a Basso Gap soon and plan to put 7 speed on it.

I would suggest using a modern 8 speed chain - I usually use KMC Z72 or SRAM. If you go 7 speed pick a ramped freewheel like a Dura Ace or Sachs Aris unless you decide to match up like in that link I posted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I used them with Chorus 8sp RDs. Always had good luck with the SRAM PC870 8 speed chain. Also able to use a 7-speed SRAM/Sachs freewheel for winter rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Should have posted this here instead of the other thread.

I found this excellent description of Campy's attempts at indexed shifting in the late '80's. The Retrogrouch: Campagnolo Derailleurs: Evolutionary Dead Ends

My setup is from '91 to '93 when both the shifters and RD's had been redesigned and the system works wonderfully.

Campy's own nomenclature around the use of the "Syncro" name is extremely confusing as there are several different iterations with the same name. Almost a new version every other year from '87 to '95.

The late model had a larger spool, pulled more cable per shift, and the RD's were redesigned accordingly.

The first model featured an easy switch to friction, presumably for when the indexing was less than good

Syncro-campagnolo-c-record-syncro-downtube-shifters-levers.jpg

and then Syncro 2 without adjuster, which is what I have. C 1991. Note the larger body.

Name:  09274BB8-1964-457A-AF2A-5E1F1CAC683A.jpeg
Views: 191
Size:  17.3 KB

then there are these Syncro 2 with the attached cable adjuster. C 1993

Name:  305082d1428605310-syncro-ii-left-shifter-problem-nos-campagnolo-c-record-syncro-8s-downtube-shif.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  141.1 KB

Here's the 1991 Record group. This was 8-speed, but since the 7-speed cog spacing was identical it can be used there too which is what mine is.

Syncro-screenshot-2017-03-05-7.05.18-am.jpg
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 03-05-2017 at 01:35 PM.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Yes I read the article also. It seems to me the first iteration seems to have a larger drum also. Both iterations have the friction options it's just how you change to friction that's different.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Julio's third picture down is what I called the Record. Not sure if they used Syncro terminology for that, but it shifts as nice as any later Ergo stuff. I'm not sure if the second version (wide barrel with knurled know) can be used friction, I haven't seen any way to do that unless you take out the insert.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    The mechanism is discussed in the referenced article,at least I think it's that one, I've read so many they sort of blur together. You simply grab the clip/handle on the end of the barrel pull out and turn a quarter turn, you now have friction operation.
    One point that I forget but recall now is the mechanism itself of the two generations, II uses the little d spring doo dads that ergos use also. For that reason I think I'm going with II.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have both early (6-7 spd) and late (8-spd) Syncro 2 shifters.

The difference in barrel diameter is subtle, I just measured. It's 1.8 mm.

Campy never used "Syncro 2" in the Record catalog, they refer to them all as "Syncro". But I have seen a box with "Syncro 2" on it. And in the 1988 Athena catalog they use "Syncro 2" So, as I said earlier Campy were quite confused in their nomenclature.

Both mine, the older and newer use "G" springs.

The text in the 1991 catalog that goes with the Record group picture refers to them as "Syncro" shift levers. For some reason the 1992 &1993 catalog just calls them "shifting levers". I bought mine NIB and the box and instructions just say "Syncro" even though they are clearly 1991.

I have never tried to see if my 1991's will go into friction mode, but the 1993 version is "index only" Perhaps we should be calling these "Syncro 3"

Syncro-screenshot-2017-03-05-2.39.00-pm.jpg
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 03-05-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm still learning. It seems like there was the original Syncro in 1997 then at least 4 iterations of "Syncro 2"

1. The original Syncro with the little friction lever.

2. Then Syncro 2 1988-1990 had index rings for 6 and 7 speeds and g springs. (I have this one)

3. 1991 introduced 8 speeds and the larger diameter spool and body. (I have this one in use). And presumably this coincided with the redesign of the geometry of the RD. So if you have either a 7 or 8-speed cluster this would be my preferred setup over the earlier generation for the much improved shifting. (I had tried the earlier setup and was never completely happy).

4. 1993 added the cable adjuster and was index only.

5. 1995 saw a redesign of the internals.

see this blog post The last gasps of Syncro ~ tears for gears
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 03-05-2017 at 01:47 PM.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    For those running 7sp. What's the largest sprocket you've run?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Sorry, but all narrow blocks. In the winter I lock down the low limit screw and run a 12-21 7sp FW.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I have a 28 on my Athena Bianchi

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't know if this is of interest to anyone here, but I saw these and they're what the conversation is about.

Vintage Campy shifters and parts
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the link. Just got NOS. excellent price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    So I installed the levers today. Took me at least an hour to get the insert in by hand. I wonder about if the insert and springs are orientated correctly but it does seem it's all relative. As long as the slot in the insert and the other steel bush, I guess, are lined up then the lever is in the correct place.
    I do have a question. Keep in mind I don't have a freewheel,nor rear derailleur on. When the lever is all the way up, in the position it would be in to be on the smallest sprocket in the back, it seems there's more lever motion to the first click than the motion it takes to get the rest of the successive clicks. Does this sound normal?

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I wouldn't worry about it. If you look at the insert you'll see that the spaces between the notches aren't all quite equal. I've noticed there is always some "wiggle" in the shifter as well, less so once the cable is on and under tension.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks. Yes I did notice the spacing irregularities between the notches.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Back to the freewheels. What 7 speed manufacturer/model freewheels have worked for you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I always preferred using the Sachs freewheel with Synchro and they later on may have become SRAM. However any Shimano 7sp freewheel should also do as the spacing was the same.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Ditto. Sachs-Aris, Shimano 600 or Dura Ace, and throw Suntour Winner in there also.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Used Suntour Winner FWs for years with Superbe Pro. I would argue that their spacing was a bit more proprietary and I don't feel it compared to the Sachs or Shimano. Stay away from those. Their removers are hard to find as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    I use the ones referred to above variously as Syncro 8, Syncro 2(1993) and Syncro 3. They are the 8 speed ones with the little cable adjuster (which I've never used).

They work perfectly for me, with a same-era Campy Record RD....... and with a Shimano/Sram cassette. I intended to use the set up with a Shiftmate, but just forgot to install it and it works fine.

I can compare to some Shimano Dura Ace 9 speed indexed downtube shifters I've also used. I think I can say that the Shimano seem smoother, more refined. But both click when they should and the RD goes where it should.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    What should the cog spacing be for 7sp?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    What should the cog spacing be for 7sp?
    To me 7sp spacing of Sachs or Shimano FWs is the same as 8sp Campy loose cogs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast