RoadBikeReview Member

Ultra Torque Fixing Bolt Came Loose...?

I have put about 300 miles on a new set of Ultra Torque cranks and today mid-ride I noticed the fixing bolt was loose. I made it home ok just soft pedaling then checked the tightness of the bolt om the garage and it was really loose.

Is it common for this bolt to come loose? I simply used grease on the threads when installing. Should I use Loctite instead? Purple vs. blue?

Thanks...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    I can't answer that as I have Power Torque and have never had that problem. Couldn't resist as there has been a great number of threads stating the quality of UT over PT. I find the quality of PT to be what I would expect from Campy. I don't foresee the need to change any of these parts out for quite some time and if I do, I have the tools to do so. That being said, I think you just need the crank the fixing bolt down to spec. and all should be good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomatic73 View Post
    Is it common for this bolt to come loose? I simply used grease on the threads when installing. Should I use Loctite instead? Purple vs. blue?

Thanks...
    What did you torque it to initially?
    The designated torque should put enough load on the bolt to lock it in place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used my scientifically calibrated forearm and set it to "pretty darn tight," or so I thought...

I assume I likely did not torqued to spec so I've finally broken down and ordered a torque wrench. I'll re-check to torque when UPS delivers my wrench, but just wanted to see if a) anyone else has ever had this happen, and b) if plain old grease on the threads is sufficient, or if loctite should be applied.

FWIW I took everything apart and looked at the axle joint to make sure nothing got chewed up...it looks fine so hopefully no harm done.

F@t B@st@rd
    Apr 2010
    I don't use any grease or loctite...

Jump to 2:55

Hucken The Fard Up !
    You needed to set your forearm just one notch above "pretty damn tight" ;)

I never had that bolt come loose and I have installed it many times, using a big Hex 10 key like this

the only thing that ever came lose for me once is the right side Italian BB cups, due to the thread direction, but that I only noticed when I had dismounted the cranks, the center bolt held everything in place.

A friend of mine had a crash when his KCNC chainring bolts came loose, since then I put a drop of loctite on all the moving parts bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

So. Calif.
    Grease threads of fixing bolt, don't install dry.

If fixing bolt came loose, it was under-torqued. Tighten to
    51 ± 9 N-m =
    37 ± 6 ft-lbs
    and you will not have any problems.

I've not had any Ultra Torque problems in 4 years ...

RoadBikeReview Member

Quote Originally Posted by tom_h View Post
    Grease threads of fixing bolt, don't install dry.

If fixing bolt came loose, it was under-torqued. Tighten to
    51 ± 9 N-m =
    37 ± 6 ft-lbs
    and you will not have any problems.

I've not had any Ultra Torque problems in 4 years ...
    This ^^^^^
    2013 Lynskey R230. Campagnolo Chorus 11 group-set. Campagnolo Neutron Ultra wheel-set. Easton EC90 aero handlebars on 3T team stem. Specialized Romin Expert 155mm saddle. Look Keo Carbon Blade pedals. Garmin Edge 800. Lizard skin tape.

Vermonter
    Mar 2007
    don't any of the numerous Campy videos I've seen have live audio?

So. Calif.
    Quote Originally Posted by amicus View Post
    don't any of the numerous Campy videos I've seen have live audio?
    No ... they'd have to record in dozens of languages, so they chose to make silent videos.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008

It is not common for that bolt to come loose.

Use grease, not lock-tite.

Matnlely Dregaend
    I'm going to disagree here and say that this bolt does commonly come loose. Specifically the pros had major issues with this exact bolt coming loose when ultra-torque was first introduced according to some media sources I've watched (ITV I think? ). I've had to use a single drop of loctite to keep the bolt fixed even after torquing it to spec with a reputable torque wrench. Since then I've been using the old hellatight manual method which has worked much better.
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." - Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Genuine Campagnolo Spares - Inserts for Dura Ace pattern brake shoes." - PBK

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by natedg200202 View Post
    It is not common for that bolt to come loose.
    Yes, if properly tightened, it will be fine. However, it never hurts to re-check maybe 100-200 miles after you have re-installed it. After that, there's no need to ever think about it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    I'm going to disagree here and say that this bolt does commonly come loose. Specifically the pros had major issues with this exact bolt coming loose when ultra-torque was first introduced according to some media sources I've watched (ITV I think? ).
    I've never heard of that. My bolt only comes loose when I remove it to service the bearings, every 5000 miles or so.