Matnlely Dregaend

Ultratorque / Hollowtech II bearing size... ground down?

I just pulled a set of bearings off my UT Record crank because they started making noise (non-drive side was full of crap), and after flushing them out I noticed that the retainer and balls sit about 1mm closer to the inside edge on both sides. This is the side with no seal. I'm pretty convinced that in reality these bearings are standard 37x25x7 bearings with one side ground down to 6mm and therefore requiring the seal removal on that side. Anyone know for sure? After successful replacement of my Hirth joint bolt washer, I'm considering trying to grind down a standard 7mm bearing 0.5mm on both sides so maybe I can keep both seals.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got a couple here, with one being a used one. There is a seal one side and the ball separator thingy on the other side.

I'm not seeing an obvious offset but you are correct in that they are not a standard size.

They are "S&S" and the S&S catalog does not list 6 mm wide, only 7 mm in this size.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Matnlely Dregaend
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    I'm not seeing an obvious offset but you are correct in that they are not a standard size.

They are "S&S" and the S&S catalog does not list 6 mm wide, only 7 mm in this size.
    If all else fails, read the label! I do see that the seal says S&S, that pretty much confirms it for me thanks!

The retainer and balls are indeed offset, I measured that part. I will post here if and how my attempt at making a fully sealed 6mm bearing goes...
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Having nothing better to do I took my used one completely apart. Which I've never done before. Only dropped one ball so that was good.

Races were starting to look a little rough. After cleaning and several tries at assembly I got everything back together. Bearing felt a lot better although not perfect.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM