Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

What front derailleur should I buy for my 2010 group?

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  tommyturbo 
#1 ·
It's time for a new FD for my SR11 group, circa 2010. With all of the changes, I don't know what my best bet is in terms of function and shifter compatibility. I'll likely go with Chorus to get the full alloy cage. What should I be looking for in terms of model year, etc?

Thanks

#2 ·
2009-2014 is designed for a 2010 shifter.

2001-2006 would probably work fine too, but that's a 10speed cage.
2007-2008 have a longer arm as does the redesign for 2015... which means the front derailleur would move less distance for each click. If the shifter has enough steps, then these particular years would work but it would take an extra shift/click.

#3 ·
I have an older 10s CT FD that I could use, but I would like to stick with an 11s. I was hoping that shifting would be quicker/more efficient with the new 2015 FD, but it sounds like the opposite would be true. No need to add clicks. I was under the impression that there had been a redesign before 2015, but I guess not.

#4 ·
No other FD changes that I'm aware of... but I could have missed something.

I have no idea why they went back to the longer actuating arm (other than to be like the new Shimano), since they did it once and then decided to go back to the relatively shorter actuating arm. Newer may have a stiffer cage design, but I haven't seen it in person. I don't think shifting is crisper one way or the other, it (longer arm) just gives more trim.

If you look up the 2009 Campy tech docs it makes mention of the actuating arm length and the clicks, in case you were wondering where that came from (last page).

#6 ·
The FD I am talking about has about 14,000-15,000 miles on it and still works fine. I use a K-Edge chain checker with a 20 or 25mm bolt. The FD mount threads are stripping with this bolt. I am going to see if I have another bolt to try, but I'm guessing that I'll be getting a new FD.

#7 ·
Well, it's your bike, but buying a new FD when all you need is a bolt does not make any obvious sense to me. Coincidentally, my SR FD is at about 15k miles, too, and as far as I can tell there's no reason to not expect it to last pretty much forever. I'm also not sure why you seem to dislike the half-carbon SR cage. Mine leaves nothing to be desired.

#8 ·
Maybe I wasn't clear. The threads of the FD are stripped. I tried another bolt, but it didn't work. I've used Campy FD's for over 30,000 miles before retiring them. Yes, they will last forever, but eventually the spring tension weakens a bit.

#11 ·
FWIW, I installed a Record 10s CT FD from another bike on my Tarmac with an 11s SR crankset. I actually like it better than the 11s SR FD it replaced. Perhaps I just have it dialed in better, but it shifts crisper to the big ring, and the wider cage eliminates the need for trimming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.