Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

i am riding to help beat Cancer.

Sorry but I didn't know where to post this so I am trying here.

I just registered for The Enbridge Ride Tp Conquer Cancer: The Ride to Conquer Cancer® fighting breast, bladder, brain, prostate, colon, kidney, testicular, lymphoma, leukemia and childhood cancers. I am seeking any donations so that I will be able to ride this. I lost my dad, grandfather, 2 uncles, an aunt and one of my best friends to cancer so this ride means a lot to me. I volunteered at the start and Opening Ceremonies last year and was so envious of the riders. I need to raise $2500 in order to ride. Last year the ride had 4610 riders and raised $17.5 million for The Princess Margaret Cancer Centre.

I have never donen a charity ride and look forward to this one.

If you would like to help me reach my goal, please visit my personal webpage at: The Ride to Conquer Cancer:
    You can also PM me and I will help you with it. The funds go directly to the ride and not to me. They go in on my behalf but I do not see them. If I do not raise the funds I will be unable to ride so, if you are able, please make a donation. I will be forever grateful.

Thank you very much,

Brian J.
    Every little bit helps and I will be, personally, very grateful.

Thank you all,

Brian J.

FNG
    Congratulations! Which route are you doing? I wish you luck with the fundraising. I did it last year, and was quite successful, though most of the donations came in toward the last month or two, which made me a little nervous. The ride itself was great (I did the 200 mile route), and the whole thing was well-organized, and the food was great. I lucked out and my randomly-assigned tentmate didn't show (though after all the Clif Bars I ate that day, maybe it was he who lucked out). Many people also skip the tent and get a room either at Mohawk or a nearby hotel. I think that's what I would do if I were to do it again, unless I was riding with a big group.

protip: beeline for the massage tent when you get to camp - don't get distracted by the beer tent along the way! You'll get a number and have to wait. THEN go get your food/drink, shower, etc. while you wait.

protip2: at the start on the first day, get there early and aim for a spot near the front. Fewer people to navigate around on some of the narrow spots and tight turns when you leave the CNE, especially the bridge along Lakeshore which goes over the Gardiner and the turn on Ellis. By the time you get to the West Mall it should have thinned out a bit, and you can settle into a comfortable pace.

With all the route changes this coming year (i.e. elimination of the 200M), as well as to avoid donor fatigue (most of mine came from family), I've chosen not to do it this year. Probably do the Ride for Heart again - I can self-pledge, and the 75k route up the DVP is really a lot of fun. Having said that, you're going to love the experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Awesome Brian, good for you! I'm registered for next year as well. I've done the MS ride a number of times but not the cancer ride, although the format is similar. It's a great time. Good luck with your fundraising!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks guys. I am looking forward to it. I volunteered at the start last year with my girlfriend, handing out the ride packets in the start tent. I was so jealous of all of the riders and decided that I had to do it this year....even got meself a new road bike for it. Drussell....thanks for the tips. I am doingg the tent route and was not aware that they assigned tent mates. I guess I will be okay as I am very easy to get along with...and a natural early riser. The massage tent will be my first target when in camp....trust me. The fundraising might be a challenge but I think I will be fine with it. I have many friends and relatives back in the US (where I am from) to help me out, as well as many friends up here. If it is half as much fun as I anticipate then I will have a great time. I have also joined a team (Steve's Cyclepaths) but have yet to meet most of them. I hope to during the spring training rides.

Cheers,

Brian J.

My other bike has knobbys
    I'm back for year 4 in Alberta. Not as big as the Ontario Ride (2380 riders last year, $8.6 million raised) but a very hilly experience. Still figure I'll be nuts and do it on the 37lb FS mtb (Knolly Delirium T) again this year...then I'll start considering a road bike (did it on the CX bike the first two years).

8toes, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who does the Ride
    So 6 times wasn't enough and I'm going back again:my participant page for the 2015 Alberta Ride to Conquer Cancer.

12 Cervelo S2, 09 Knolly Delirium T, ?? Mercury Road Bike, signed '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is great, but hearing everyone's experiences. I also checked out UTube... Should do that Brian, and alot of learning from there. With all that said, this is my first ride too... Ride for Heart and Enbridge... Very excited... As donors go I'm just putting away at it... I can't see Enbridge not letting anyone ride, and especially when it generates millions.. one rider can get sponsored for 10000 and Enbridge will send another rider home cause they only raised 1500 not 2500. Ok just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by robgazoo View Post
    This is great, but hearing everyone's experiences. I also checked out UTube... Should do that Brian, and alot of learning from there. With all that said, this is my first ride too... Ride for Heart and Enbridge... Very excited... As donors go I'm just putting away at it... I can't see Enbridge not letting anyone ride, and especially when it generates millions.. one rider can get sponsored for 10000 and Enbridge will send another rider home cause they only raised 1500 not 2500. Ok just my thoughts.
    I understand fully, Rob...it was part of why I initially didn't consider doing the Ride and was looking at the local MS ride. It can be a turn off for a lot of people...$2500 is a lot of money. In my experience, though, it can also be a small amount of money too...I've been averaging about $5k/yr even though I had never done any fund raising of this sort before getting into the Ride in 2009.

I find that getting in with a team is a good thing...makes it possible to take on fund raising events that are beyond a single rider and that can bring in some pretty good money. Great for moral support and training too

Good Luck, Brian
    So 6 times wasn't enough and I'm going back again:my participant page for the 2015 Alberta Ride to Conquer Cancer.

12 Cervelo S2, 09 Knolly Delirium T, ?? Mercury Road Bike, signed '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thx Mike...with this weather coming this week, it will definitely be hooky playing time to get some outdoor riding in

Cheers,

Brian J.

Quote Originally Posted by 8toes View Post
    Thx Mike...with this weather coming this week, it will definitely be hooky playing time to get some outdoor riding in

Cheers,

Brian J.
    Oh how I wish... I suspect it'll be a while yet before I can get out. Between the freeze-thaw thing going on right now, the occasional flurry still and all the gravel, I'm figuring it'll be April before I'm outside...with cross tires on at that!

I could go out on the mtb, but the 20km round trip to get to the trailhead of a possibly passable, possibly not trail doesn't appeal right now. :/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Where are you located? It is set to be a beautiful week here in the GTA. I just had a fit doe on Friday and hads to replace my stem.....can't wait to get out.

Cheers,

Brian J.

Quote Originally Posted by 8toes View Post
    Where are you located? It is set to be a beautiful week here in the GTA. I just had a fit doe on Friday and hads to replace my stem.....can't wait to get out.

Cheers,

Brian J.
    I'm out here in Edmonton...I do the Alberta Ride down in Calgary. Not quite the same scenery as the Escarpment and Niagra Falls, but the Rockies are good compensation (if not murder on the legs because of all the hills)

Looking at the forecast, I may have hope yet ;) If it stays nice like they are forecasting, I may be able to put the 'cross tires on and hit the road in the next couple of weeks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I did the MTL to QC one the first year they ran it.

I echo two things:

1) hotel. This saved me from a crappy night, and
    2) head straight to the Masseuses. I did both days but it wasn't busy because I crossed 1st, both 150k days. I'm never going to stop telling ppl that! I was feelin' it that weekend!

Bio, I wish....seriously, I do.

Shy of driving a couple hours, there really aren't hotels near the camp site for the Alberta Ride...however, there is room for RV's ;)

Massage is on site here too...but...in doing it on a loaded 'cross bike or on the 6.5x6.5 freeride mtb with a good sized hydration pack (I volunteer with the medical crew too), I'm not usually in fast enough to make the top 6-7 pages of the sign-up (which is about all they get through...too many people, not enough masseuses volunteering). Oh well...I have compression tights to try this year

I fully understand the bragging rights thing...coming n first is impressive. I, on the other hand, love the look on some folks faces when I tell 'em I've done it on a 37lb (~17 kg) full suspension mtb, including hitting 70 km/h or more on some of the hills....some folks on 17 lb road bikes look at me like I'm more than a few bricks shy of a load

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Awesome, just awesome.

I know it sounds strange but I love the RTCC.

I remember seeing some people at the start and thinking that they're never going to make both days.

I also remember looking out my hotel window, which was on the route close to day 1s finish line, after I layed in the tub for hours, and watching those same people battle conditions that would have caused me to skip the whole thing. I finished fast but the weather that showed up after i was done was horrific.

It really put the whole thing into perspective for me.

RoadBikeReview Member

Thanks Brian!

Great encouragement!!!

Yeah, I know about weather. Last year (2011) the Ride here in Alberta had its worst weather since the event started. For Day 1, we battled a ~30km/h crosswind most of the day...which is another reason why folks thought I was nuts for hitting 70km/h (because it was in the cross-wind).

For Day 2, most of the Ride was brutal...just after the course opened for the day, the clouds opened up too. It was cold (say 6-7oC at the start of the day), wet and windy for most of the day. Heck, when I have folks drafting *me* and I'm on my off-road monster bike, you know it's a tough day!

But, it is a ride, not a race, so I just put my head down, used the granny for a bunch of headwind hills and kept pedalling. I managed to do the ~220 km in 12 hrs on that monster bike, in spite of the conditions, so I felt it was pretty respectable. If I ever get a proper road bike, I'll be able to improve on my time, but for now, I just enjoy myself and the beautiful scenery.

If you check out my participant page (link in my sig), I have a point-of-view video embedded that I put together from last year's Alberta Ride. Feel free to have a look...I included the 70km/h footage (~3:25 or 3:30 mark) and tried to show some of the weather on Day 2 (but not much....the lense was generally covered by a lot of droplets). If you view the entire video, you'll have to forgive the Tron Pants ...I didn't have bib tights or decent leg warmers, so I did what I had to in order to stay warm. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    For those doing the Calgary ride, I'll see you there!

I did the MS ride a number of times, and I still don't know why they have it and the RTCC in June. Make it late July or August...the weather is way more predictable. I've ridden in 80 km/h winds, torrential rain, sleet, even lightning storms. One year I think over half the field ended up in the sag-wagon on day 2.

And I know what you are saying about watching less experienced riders suffer through it; that really does put it in perspective, seeing people really grind for the sake of the cause. I'm proud of them. I rode once with a guy who had one leg. I tell you, he was capable...stayed with me right to the end, and the weather sucked.

Good luck to all, hope your fundraising is going well, train hard and let's hope for good weather!

Quote Originally Posted by cyclusaddictus View Post
    For those doing the Calgary ride, I'll see you there!

I did the MS ride a number of times, and I still don't know why they have it and the RTCC in June. Make it late July or August...the weather is way more predictable. I've ridden in 80 km/h winds, torrential rain, sleet, even lightning storms. One year I think over half the field ended up in the sag-wagon on day 2.

And I know what you are saying about watching less experienced riders suffer through it; that really does put it in perspective, seeing people really grind for the sake of the cause. I'm proud of them. I rode once with a guy who had one leg. I tell you, he was capable...stayed with me right to the end, and the weather sucked.

Good luck to all, hope your fundraising is going well, train hard and let's hope for good weather!
    Cyclus, I will see you there (or you'll see me perhaps).

I come down from Edmonton for it and, unless something changes drastically in the next few months, I'll be pretty easy to remember if you see me: my team has a watermelon theme (inc. jerseys and helmet covers) and I'll be on a pretty massive FS mountain bike.

I may also have shaved legs and a shaved head, depending on how much I end up fund raising. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Awesome, I'll be looking for the smooth skin! Looks like your fundraising is off to an excellent start, so I'm sure you'll succeed. I should be on a white and red Cannondale road bike (and hopefully not napping at a rest station).

Quote Originally Posted by cyclusaddictus View Post
    Awesome, I'll be looking for the smooth skin! Looks like your fundraising is off to an excellent start, so I'm sure you'll succeed. I should be on a white and red Cannondale road bike (and hopefully not napping at a rest station).
    Well, considering the boss said the company will kick in a chunk, I'm considering myself a rider already (even though it hasn't hit the account yet). Really, I'm over 1/2 way to needing to break out the razor, so this is getting scary for my moutain bike legs

Cyclus, just don't forget to wave as you go blazing by me...and don't crash because I don't want to stop and do first aid this year! (I also volunteer with the medical crew...I'll stop if someone needs me to, but all in all, I'd rather not have to stop)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just found out that if you don't reach min required amount 2500 u can't ride.. Even though you have door knocked and busted your ass.. It's not fair really... Other cyclists get beyond the min why don't they just spread it around.. Not cool!

It is pretty harsh, but it is also a strong motivation. I've been doing it for the last 4 years and I haven't had any issue hitting the minimum (I'm averaging somewhere about $5k/yr). It sounds like a heck of a lot of money, especially compared to the MS rides, but my experience has been that, because cancer affects so many people, it's something people are willing to open their wallets to support.

RoadBikeReview Member

well my question for you is??

If I was in a position of generating more then the required amount I would hand it to another rider...
    I have been fundraising since last Sept. I do need more friends I guess. I have asked people at subway stations, so I'm at that point where this is a new job for me. That's right I have to now book off work to generate money for something I believe in yes, no one is doubting the cause. Anyway my point is its stereotyping and discriminating, and creating classes.

Quote Originally Posted by robgazoo View Post
    If I was in a position of generating more then the required amount I would hand it to another rider...
    I have been fundraising since last Sept. I do need more friends I guess. I have asked people at subway stations, so I'm at that point where this is a new job for me. That's right I have to now book off work to generate money for something I believe in yes, no one is doubting the cause. Anyway my point is its stereotyping and discriminating, and creating classes.
    Rob, I do understand where you are coming from...That's why some folks (myself included) have done teams in the past...bigger fund raising events are possible and it is easier to spread it around (at least on the team) to make sure everyone hits their minimums.

If it helps, I find that fund raising is usually slow (i.e. molasses in January) until you get to at least the spring/closer to the Ride. I don't even bother with any major emails until after Jan 1....I might raise $500 from July-February and the other $4500 I typically raise comes in the last ~100 days before the event.

RoadBikeReview Member

ahhh..nice site too!!

mine needs some work... www.conquercancer.ca/goto/robertcovert
    thanks man..u have inspired me to keep at it...i was about to tell them to ..well it would have been not nice..lol...it still might if i raise close and have to pay the remaining balance as the lady in Toronto suggested...but for now...thanks Mike!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast