Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

MEC bikes

48K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  Bevo 
#1 ·
Looking at the MEC catalogue that came in the mail. Long-time MEC member. Long-time cyclist. Love of gear and good prices.
But I gotta say, i can't recommend MEC bikes to anyone. Their prices are no savings, especially for generic unrefined aluminum frames that only come in four sizes. I have been to the Burlington store, and there is no way that there service can compare with a lbs, and their mechanics aren't in the same league.

Why is MEC selling this crap? Or am I way off base?

#34 ·
There is a review of the MEC Etape at Canadian Cycling Magazine, August 2011 issue.

I read somewhere that MEC CF frames are manufactured by Giant. I wouldnt be afraid of low quality, a lot of known brands outsource their production to Taiwan and are starting to move to China, most of these deals are "secret" as the bikes are produced on 3rd party factories. It's like Foxconn making the iPhones. But as the article states, store-brand stigma might keep some people off.

Rumours on the internet also affirm that Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc bikes are fully or partially made by Giant.

#35 ·
I don't think it would be Giant...the Giant reps I've talked to all stand firm that Giant does its own thing and won't let anyone else produce for them and won't produce for anyone else. I do believe a lot of the big name bikes come out of the same CF shops in Taiwan...there are 2-3 "big" CF shops that do a lot of the CF frames for many, many of the big name brands, but AFAIK Giant isn't in that mix.

#36 ·
This is from ebicycles.com, not sure if it's a reliable source:

Giant has literally become a giant of a company. They produce over five million bicycles a year and have dubbed themselves the "world's largest bicycle manufacturer". It's most likely true because half the time you’re riding one of their bikes without knowing it as they also manufacture bikes for brands like Trek, Specialized, Schwinn and Bianchi. Most cyclists trust Giant for reliability and quality.

Giant Bicycles was established in 1972 as OEM and a manufacturer for other bicycle companies. But in 1986 they established their own brand and by 1998 were producing over two million bikes and in 2002 over four million. They later expanded into big biking nations like the Netherlands, USA, Canada, Australia and China; manufacture items like pumps, apparel and luggage (2002 in the United Kingdom) and established a European company in the Netherlands (1996).
Anyways, I don't know if there are made by Giant or not, but they are probable made on the same factory as another better known, reputable brand, even though the quality could not be the same.

I can't insert links yet, but anybody can read the review at Canadian Cycling Magazine on their website.

#37 ·
Could be the local reps were blowing sunshine... if Giant does make them, it could be a good thing (if they are actually decent bikes in and of themselves) or not (if they are low end knock offs of other things coming off the line already).

#38 ·
Glad to find this thread. I was wondering the same thing about why MEC would start selling rebranded bikes. All this discussion about what components are included for what price seems to miss the main point. If MEC is an altruistic coop that only exists to be amazing and everything, why do they rebrand white-labelled frames "MEC" rather than selling primary manufacturer frames for less than any LBS? Personally I think the answer is that they are out to make money and are no longer really a coop.

That "we don't profit" statement on the previous page is completely untrue. I have been a MEC member for over 20 years and they have never given any shares back that mean anything--it's all just paperwork so they can remain a coop entity legally. MEC sells brand products for MSRP, never less. If they were out to help the community of active outdoors people, they would be constantly looking for great ways to get products into our hands for as little money as possible--like a coop.

I remember MEC when it was a ratty little shop on Front St. in Toronto. They had great deals on top grade backpacks and sleeping bags. Then they went crazy in the 90s and built these mega stores with climbing walls in them with huge real estate costs etc. They turned the corner and stopped helping the community and started furthering themselves. Selling "MEC" bikes is just the continuation of the same pattern.

Enough of my ranting. I'm obviously a bit peeved at what MEC has become. Someone should start a coop that carries outdoors gear. That would be awesome.

#39 ·
I see no problem with rebranded bike, there are more of them out there than you think. Many of the bikes we ride come from the same few factories with the exact same specifications on the consumer bikes. The higher end bikes also can come from the same factory but have a higher spec and are built to that degree.
When I bought my carbon rims "Gigantix" the fellow said they were made by the same people that made ZIPP, if did not believe until he showed my pictures of his tour with the ZIPP, Reynolds, Easton, Gigantix wheels all ready stickered for packing in the factory.
He said frames are the same.

MEC to me has better prices on many things or are as competitive as other shops, the Garmin 510 I have been shopping for is the best price at MEC.

As for helping the community I think your way off, two weeks ago I went to the MEC paddle fest and got to try out a bunch of boards, kayaks and listen to some demos. I have also run with the group which the store organizes, I have done a rock climbing demo, I have also seen some presentations by some amazing people and have not paid a dime.

The Ghost bikes are well reviewed and the other bikes are a pretty decent spec and value. Yes they are not a true bike shop but if I loved one of the bikes I would buy it in a heart beat no problem.

Personally I like what MEC has become, the staff are amazing, warranty is amazing, prices are competitive, products are extensive and not lacking, and the stores are consistent so I know I get the same service Canada wide.

My share was $4.50 this year, could not care less as I saved 10 times that on items I bought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.