RoadBikeReview Member

Roll Call: Whistler GranFondo

Who else will be doing the GranFondo on the 11th? Anybody?
    Cervelo Soloist Carbon / Look 585 / Look 555 / Redline Conquest Pro / Kona Kapu / Santa Cruz Blur / Torker U-District / Custom fixie

http://www.BloggersInc.com/CycloPath/

me rikey to bikey
    In....

Shut up legs!
    in...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Unfortunately, current forecast calls for rain. This might mean I switch to my rain bike for the ride. Oh well - should still be fun.

http://weather.yahoo.com/canada/brit...405148/?unit=f
    Last edited by ChilliConCarnage; 09-07-2010 at 11:35 AM.
    Cervelo Soloist Carbon / Look 585 / Look 555 / Redline Conquest Pro / Kona Kapu / Santa Cruz Blur / Torker U-District / Custom fixie

chamois creme addict
    I'm there. Riding the "Giro" which is the race, which is now a BC Cup. Current form moderately low, current morale lower with current weather forecast. $$ investment high. What does this equal exactly??

banned
    May 2010
    I have put away the summer bike and taken out the rain bike, the one with full fenders.

I will be slower, but I will be dry(er).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I am in as well.

I dont know what to wear. Fenders tempting.

Did some rides this week in rubber see thru shell jacket and I was wet underneath. Not sure if I should bother.....

What do the Giro guys wear? just jerseys?

It looks like 70% chance of rain and about 13-16c possible.....

banned
    May 2010
    I am debating tights rather than leg warmers, there appears to be little chance to pull the warmers off.

long fingered gloves, booties, wool undershirt and rain jacket.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Here is a Gran Fondo scouting report....see this thread.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.c...engine#2981782

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by louise
    I am debating tights rather than leg warmers, there appears to be little chance to pull the warmers off.

long fingered gloves, booties, wool undershirt and rain jacket.

I am watching the weather reports closely and still unsure what its going to do.

Hmmm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    It's going to be cooler . . .

banned
    May 2010
    I am committed in about 3 hours.

When my bag and bike go into baggage check, that's about it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wooho! They've changed the weather outlook, and say the rain won't come until the afternoon. Go speedy and you may avoid it all together.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ChilliConCarnage
    Wooho! They've changed the weather outlook, and say the rain won't come until the afternoon. Go speedy and you may avoid it all together.
    Yep, looks better than it did yesturday.

Hopefully the roads are dry for the ride.

Your right though, I dont think I will be enjoying the scenery too much on this one.

Shut up legs!
    Weather looks to be improving for Vancouver, however the forecast for Whistler is still wet all day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenacycle
    Weather looks to be improving for Vancouver, however the forecast for Whistler is still wet all day.

This right now from environment canada.......

Cloudy with sunny periods. 30 percent chance of showers early in the morning. High 14.

Looks good to me!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Turned out to be a great day! No rain, haha!

aNYONE get any updates on the dude that did a faceplant on the highway? Apparently his face didnt look to good.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I know this will come up so here is the link on the injured cyclist at Gran Fondo....

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Wh...680/story.html

chamois creme addict
    Well the weather turned out much better than predicted all week! Sunday definitely served as a cold reminder of what the Fondo could have been. Yuck. Passed quite a few guys/gals riding down on Sunday....yikes that would have been a cold wet one.

My Giro was a mix of pleasure and pain. Awesome to fly across the Lions Gate Bridge. But reality hit when I punctured just after the turn off Taylor Way onto the Upper Levels Hwy. Guys in the Giro were already shelled on Taylor so I had a bit of a wait for a wheel, but it was a quick change once they arrived, and I got a great push to get going (thanks Bike Gallery!!). I had to chase solo like mad for about 10 minutes and got back to the field just before Horseshoe Bay. Whew, lost a few bullets there. Made my way up front, heckled eventual winner Pinfold for a bit. Then we hit Furry Creek and it was ON. I was the last guy ejected from the front group there, regroup and repeat a few km later at Brittania Beach. General regrouping into Squamish, then it was single-file all the way out of Squamish and the gaps started opening up. I was not positioned forward enough here and paid the price. I ended up in the 2nd group which eventually became the 3rd group when the front group split. Rolled it the rest of the way, only a few guys willing to take pulls as is usual. Then entered Whistler and all the other guys who have sat on for 30 km start attacking. Attacked myself, then my teammate attacked and we split the group.....into the finish and some d-bag almost took my teammate and myself out while sprinting for a likely 30th place. Some heated words afterwards, sorry if anyone overheard. Then bike corral, confusion, and a long walk across to the porta-potties. Food, chocolate milk, check into hotel, shower, nap, beers, food, beers, food, more beers....and then a system shutdown.

All in all a great day, well organized, cones were not as dangerous as I thought they might be but it would have different if there were any crosswind sections. My only suggestion to improve is to have the porta-potties be near the arrival/bike corral!
    Last edited by Eric_H; 09-13-2010 at 10:57 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H
    Well the weather turned out much better than predicted all week! Sunday definitely served as a cold reminder of what the Fondo could have been. Yuck. Passed quite a few guys/gals riding down on Sunday....yikes that would have been a cold wet one.

My Giro was a mix of pleasure and pain. Awesome to fly across the Lions Gate Bridge. But reality hit when I punctured just after the turn off Taylor Way onto the Upper Levels Hwy. Guys in the Giro were already shelled on Taylor so I had a bit of a wait for a wheel, but it was a quick change once they arrived, and I got a great push to get going (thanks Bike Gallery!!). I had to chase solo like mad for about 10 minutes and got back to the field just before Horseshoe Bay. Whew, lost a few bullets there. Made my way up front, heckled eventual winner Pinfold for a bit. Then we hit Furry Creek and it was ON. I was the last guy ejected from the front group there, regroup and repeat a few km later at Brittania Beach. General regrouping into Squamish, then it was single-file all the way out of Squamish and the gaps started opening up. I was not positioned forward enough here and paid the price. I ended up in the 2nd group which eventually became the 3rd group when the front group split. Rolled it the rest of the way, only a few guys willing to take pulls as is usual. Then entered Whistler and all the other guys who have sat on for 30 km start attacking. Attacked myself, then my teammate attacked and we split the group.....into the finish and some d-bag almost took my teammate and myself out while sprinting for a likely 30th place. Some heated words afterwards, sorry if anyone overheard. Then bike corral, confusion, and a long walk across to the porta-potties. Food, chocolate milk, check into hotel, shower, nap, beers, food, beers, food, more beers....and then a system shutdown.

All in all a great day, well organized, cones were not as dangerous as I thought they might be but it would have different if there were any crosswind sections. My only suggestion to improve is to have the porta-potties be near the arrival/bike corral!

Nice writeup! How fast do you guys go up that hill after squamish? Whats the avg KM per hour if you glanced at your computer....(be honest).

banned
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H

I could not figure out how there were already water bottles on the road on the exit ramp off the bridge ........ ??

You guys I guess.

Shut up legs!
    Here's my Whistler GF ride data http://connect.garmin.com/activity/48772826

We averaged 30.4kph with two stops at 40km and 80km marks. My team came in 4th in the MIX Team category

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenacycle
    Here's my Whistler GF ride data http://connect.garmin.com/activity/48772826

We averaged 30.4kph with two stops at 40km and 80km marks. My team came in 4th in the MIX Team category

man, that is cool, I want one of those Garmin 500's.

You really like it? My eyes are kinda bad for the tiny font size though.....but I'd love to be able to pull the data like that.

chamois creme addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwrong666
    Nice writeup! How fast do you guys go up that hill after squamish? Whats the avg KM per hour if you glanced at your computer....(be honest).
    Saw the results, finished in 3:24 so 35.3 km/h average. Front of the race was 3:14 I think, that works out to 37.2 km/h. Once the race split the impetus in our group was completely gone and there were only about 5 guys out of 20+ who were interested in trying to set any tempo. I know we were averaging just under 40 km/h to Squamish. On the climb out of Squamish, no idea as I was deep in the hurt locker and not really looking at my speedo just the wheels in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by louise
    I could not figure out how there were already water bottles on the road on the exit ramp off the bridge ........ ??

You guys I guess.
    I was told afterwards there was a crash on the exit off the Lions Gate in our race, that would explain the bottles. It was behind me, I was near the front. There was also a crash going up Taylor Way, someone managed to ride into a barrier and take down a few people.