Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Toronto Waterfront

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  STRANA 
#1 ·
I was thru the Queens Quay area last April and was wondering what the state of the construction is. I might be in town tSunday for a ride & would like to know what to expect.

#3 ·
It's a mess. The never-ending project and a massive waste of our money IMO. Think what $120M could have done for the city's cycling infrastructure.

Westbound just follows the road. Eastbound is a convoluted route that I'm not going to try and describe.

#7 ·
This couldn't be more true.. It's unbelievable how long this project is taking, and quite honestly, having ridden through it for the past couple of years, I see no change, no improvement. The road is still a colossal mess in both directions, the sidewalks are the same, I can't imagine what they are actually doing.

From west to east, you can get by if you just follow the signs. You can elect to go a block north and ride the "path" but it isn't particularly smooth. It's tolerable, but only just. I elect to go slow and slalom the sidewalk through people. Give them room and don't be pushy.

From east to west, you can ride the road just fine. Be careful though because it's ugly. Ruts everywhere, potholes, gravel, the whole bit. That said, if you can get to the front, it's easy enough to stay ahead of cars if you just push a little. Once you make it to Bathurst, you're golden and back on the trail dodging the usual clueless meandering ipod-wearing idiots.

#4 ·
I rode west as far as Bay Street then headed over to the Islands to tour the route there. Been a few years since I'd been "over there".

Now for my rant, I wish people would acknowledge you when you ring your bell. I passed 4 asian women walking in pairs within 20 feet of each other. They were on both sides of the Waterfront Trail (between Unwin & Cherry). Not 1 of them turned to look at me. I almost felt yelling HEY! to get their attention.

#6 ·
I have found the roads safer and easier to manage then any MUP in the entire GTA. Toronto has such potential but I doubt it will ever be realised.

#9 ·
Wowwwww.. Much as I'd like the nice, safe MUT to continue right through the bottom of the city, I also realize that this is the core of the city. Pedestrians will still be everywhere, taking up a ton of room, leaving cyclists and bladers no ability to move at any sort of speed.

To tell the truth, I'd rather be on the road on the bike path through that stretch because I can go at full speed (until I get hit by light after light after light). When that part of the trail opens, I'll need to be cautious because it's full of camera wearing, meandering tourists.

Awell, it's a nice idea at least. I can't imagine the millions being spent though. Glad I'm a 905'er (soon to be 519'er)

#10 ·
It's what they call a complete street. It's every bit as much about pedestrians as fit cyclists on a mission. The population has swelled with all the condo development. There needs to be a family friendly bike connection between the west waterfront and the east waterfront. This will also connect the Humber River MUT to the Don

#11 ·
I think the ravine and hydro corridor trail network in Toronto is awesome. They are very popular/busy on nice weekends but I don't ride them at those times. What is lacking is commuting infrastructure.

#12 ·
At ewitz, at least make eye contact with the person ringing the bell FFS! Ride over by the Humber River on the bike trail, people just walk across w/o looking.

When that part of the trail opens, I'll need to be cautious because it's full of camera wearing, meandering tourists.
You can say that again.

#13 ·
I was thru the new route yesterday. I had read some reviews when the bike trail opened & was expecting chaos. It wasn't too bad. Other than a couple of cyclists stopping in the middle of the lane for no apparent reason all was good.

Even in the high pedestrian traffic areas near Harborfront & the walkway to the ferry terminal, I had no issues. Lots of cyclists of all stripes using it.

Still a bit of a mess east of Sugar Beach.

#15 ·
I commute from North York Centre...Avenue Rd. starting from the 401./ I think there is a bike lane on Simcoe St. from Queen St. all the way down to the lake. For High Park, I would just go west at Avenue/Bloor.

From where you are approx., south on Bathurst till you get past Earl Bales then cut into the side streets until you come out to Avenue Rd/401 then go south.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.