RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

Urbane Cyclist Urbanite Road/Racing Frame

Hi,

Does anyone have feedback on the Urbanite Road/Racing frame from Urbane Cyclist in Toronto?

http://ucycle.com/bikes/item.php?nam...d&cat=urbanite

Double butted 4130 CroMoly frame main triangle, plain guage stays. Reynolds 520 to be exact, the new CroMoly version of their venerable 531 MangMoly tubing.
    Optional fully chromed Tange fork (the samne fork as our fixed gear fames)
    Brazed lugged construction except for TIG welded bottom bracket to reduce weight and improve frame reliability.
    Stealthy black colour, with gold lined headtube and seat cluster lugs.
    1" headtube. Accepts threaded or unthreaded 1" headsets
    130mm old rear dropouts
    curved chain and set stays allow for lots of heel clearance
    Most (all?) of the bikes in the pricepoint where I want to buy ($1200-$1400 CAD) are aluminum with a carbon fork and maybe carbon stays and/or seatposts but I think I would prefer a steel bike for the comfort on long rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Did you go in and try the bikes? I was in sometime last summer and tried a few of their roadies. That particular frame you're looking at wasn't available at the time, but I was riding some of their older versions. With the same frame but slightly different setups, the ride was naturally very different. Urbane should be pretty good about customizing the bike with different components that will change the ride quality of the bike.

Overall, I felt that the Urbanite bikes are a decent steel frame bike at a decent price. I felt that it was more of a courier style bike that could withstand a beating rather than something very speedy. Depends on the specifics of what you are looking for.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I have owned an Urbanite (singlespeed) and I would have to say that it was pretty heavy but very stiff. Not exactly wat I would suggest for a long-haul ride. You might be better served to buy something used off canadiancyclist.com