On a different mission...

2007 SystemSix 1 Build Starts!!!

As you may know, I found a worthy replacement to my non-BB30, 2009 Cannondale CAAD 9-7. The bike was instrumental in my first century and about 2400 miles of reliable, crash-free service. It was a remarkable first bike, weighing-in at a mere 16.2 pounds. Despite being a great-accelerating bike, my 170 pound body really felt the torsional flex on the standing climbs. It's been a wonderful machine, but I'm ready to go to the next level up. Here is one last look of her in all her Dura Ace splendor, before the frame, fork, stem and carbon seatpost all goes up on eBay:

Here is what I picked up as a new take-off Velo Club LaGrange 2007 Team race bike....all for $550!!!:

The new bike will be spec with period-correct, Dura Ace 7800 gruppo. I cannot stand the OEM USE Alien carbon seatpost, so I ordered a white Control Tech one to match the white FSA Wing Pro Compact bars. Plus, Control Tech actually makes the chubby stem for this bike. I decided to go with using the BB30 bearings, but with Wheels Manufacturing's Delrin BB30 Adapters....so I can run my DA 7800 crankset. Once I can afford an Si SL crankset - fitting it will only be a matter removing the adapter, adding BB30 wave washer and bearing shields, while sliding in the beefy spindle. More pics to come!
    Last edited by Zachariah; 06-10-2011 at 03:47 PM.
    2007 Cannondale SystemSix1 - Full Dura Ace; Campagnolo Shamal Ultra SOLD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    Zac,

Congrat on your new ride and it should be a rocket bike once is done.BTW I ran all my bikes with USE Alien carbon post.
    My next vehicle would be a zamboni
    2012 Super Six (Chorus 11)
    2011 Super Six Team edition (Super Record 11)
    2009 Super Six HM (Super Record 11)
    2007 Systems Six (Record 10)
    2008 Caad 9 (Centaur 10)
    2004 Caad 7 ( sold )
    2000 Caad 3 ( sold )

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I'm looking forward to seeing that finished system - keep us updated!

Out of interest Zac, what height are you - I'm looking for a 50/52cm caad9 off ebay and am in a puzzle over what size to order, I'm thinking 50cm at present

Quote Originally Posted by skleins View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing that finished system - keep us updated!

Out of interest Zac, what height are you - I'm looking for a 50/52cm caad9 off ebay and am in a puzzle over what size to order, I'm thinking 50cm at present
    You got PM.

Stumped by ONE part!!!!

All the required parts arrived today, including the Wheels Mfg. BB30 adapters. What an ingenious little innovation! The Delrin adapters are a very precision-machined, hard thermoplastic sleeve that easily pressed into the Ceramic BB30 bearing race with a mallet. I have to say the fit and finish is absolutely SPOT-ON. The adapters spin smoothly and freely while the 24mm spindle Dura Ace 7800 Hollowtech II crankset slid inside the adapters as perfect as the actual Shimano BB cups themselves:

However, my build progress was halted. Apparently, I completely neglected to consider the inherent depth of the new SystemSix Carbon fork crown...which requires a 35mm + front brake caliper sleeve. The CAAD 9's Slice Si fork sleeve was only 20mm, and once I realized my LBS was closed tomorrow - the build closed for the day at this stage:

Here is the five gram part that made me close shop until Monday:

Monday, I am going full-bore with this build until complete....even if it takes me all day!!!!

Updates coming soon...
    Last edited by Zachariah; 06-13-2011 at 08:12 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I think you'll love the bike - though you may lose some of the benefit till you get the Si SL crankset.

I normally would not clamp the seat tube or any of the bike tubing... I'd install the seatpost first and clamp the seatpost instead.

UPDATE: No local LBS carries the SystemSix front brake caliper sleeve!!!! The longest one I could find was 31mm....and it STILL came up short, despite removing the small toothed washer After an entire afternoon of calling nearly all Southern California Cannondale dealers, Helens Cycles 134 miles away in Santa Monica *finally* has it.

I cannot believe I am making a 4-hour round trip journey....just for a $10 part!!!! We cyclists must be absolutely NUTS. All this mayhem for a 30-mile tempo/shakedown ride. But tomorrow is the only time I have for it. Anybody have this problem too?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Helen's is the place to go for any older Cannondale parts. They were the only local shop that had System Six headset parts I wanted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    Zac,

Let me know if you need help to locate this part, are you in CA?
    2008 Caad 9 (Centaur 10)
    2004 Caad 7 ( sold )
    2000 Caad 3 ( sold )

Thanks, Zamboni...I finally have the 38mm Cannondale sleeve now. I was lucky Helens had a broken SuperSix fork, and they simply salvaged the part for me. Otherwise, it was a two-week turnaround ordering it from CannonDorel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Just built up a SystemSix myself coming off a CAAD7. I absolutely LOVE the frame. My bike is only equipped with a SRAM rival group but it is great and super light.

As for the 38mm issue on the front brake.....ahhh been there. I dealt with the issue and finally used a carbon fiber appropriate dremel bit and just took the hole in some so i could use a common found collar nut found at bike LBS. I have no idea why C-Dale would not just make the hole deeper? Took me less than 5 minutes to modify the hole depth and I have had zero problems and don't expect any.

Enjoy your bike....many claim the SystemSix was the best frame C-dale produced......i know i enjoy mine.

Finished!!!

I first wanted to complete 100 test miles, before submitting a ride impression. Compared to my beloved CAAD 9.....all I can say is WOW. You guys are right - this thing is an absolute ROCKET. When I stand on the pedals, this bike lurches forward with a ferocity of snap only found on $10k+ dream bikes!!!

I then went to my local Cannondale LBS and compared it to a 2010 SuperSix HM and the new SuperSix Evo. Yes, both bikes were clearly lighter and more muted to road buzz....but the acceleration was nearly identical to the SystemSix. The hybrid frame bike is dead-silent and the BB30 bottom bracket - even with the Dura Ace 7800 cranks...offers a near direct-drive experience. Complete bike weighs 15.78 pounds, with pedals: Now, I can see why the former, real Cannondale lost money on this bike:

2007 Cannondale SystemSix (Velo Club LaGrange Team Edition)
    Frame: SystemSix BB30 Hi-Mod, with CAAD 9 rear triangle
    Fork: SystemSix Si full carbon
    Stem: SystemSix 100mm made by ControlTech USA
    Seatpost: ControlTech USA Team Issue 2A
    Saddle: Selle Italia SLR
    Bars: FSA Wing Pro Compact 40cm
    Shifters: Shimano Dura Ace 7801 double
    Brakes: Shimano Dura Ace 7800
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Dura Ace 7800
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura Ace 7800
    Crankset: Shimano Dura Ace 7800 39/53
    Cassette: SRAM Red OG-1090 11-28
    Chain: KMC X10SL
    Bottom Bracket: Enduro Ceramic with BB30 adapters
    Wheelset: 2006 Mavic Ksyrium SL3
    Tires: Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX 700c x 23
    Tubes: Michelin AirComp Latex
    Pedals: LOOK Keo Carbon ti
    Bottle Cages: Elite Sior Race (modified)
    Cyclocomputer: CatEye Strada DW w/ Cadence

Last edited by Zachariah; 06-24-2011 at 01:35 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Looks great! Are the spacer tower just until you dial in the fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenduck View Post
    Looks great! Are the spacer tower just until you dial in the fit?
    Correct.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    Zac,

No regreted of getting this frame? Still got mine as back up.
    2008 Caad 9 (Centaur 10)
    2004 Caad 7 ( sold )
    2000 Caad 3 ( sold )

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    Zac,

No regreted of getting this frame? Still got mine as back up.
    No way, Zamboni. I have been looking for this frame, since late 2008. I got the CAAD simply because I wanted something with similar geometry, and could not wait to begin riding my first road bike.

The claim still holds true - Cannondale will never make such a unique and dynamic road frame like the SystemSix ever again...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    True the main reason why Cannondale stop making this frame due to cost, enjoy the ride and you now had a rocket bike.HEre is my system.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2007 SystemSix 1 Build Starts!!!-1dscn4015.jpg  
    2008 Caad 9 (Centaur 10)
    2004 Caad 7 ( sold )
    2000 Caad 3 ( sold )

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I've yet to try the SystemSix. I love my 2011 SuperSix but everyone talks about how the SystemSix was (maybe) better than the SuperSix. I think will need to find out if any SystemSix' are for sale where I live...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Quote: I went to my local Cannondale LBS and compared it to a 2010 SuperSix HM and the new SuperSix Evo. Yes, both bikes were clearly lighter and more muted to road buzz....but the acceleration was nearly identical to the SystemSix. The hybrid frame bike is dead-silent and the BB30 bottom bracket - even with the Dura Ace 7800 cranks...offers a near direct-drive experience. Complete bike weighs 15.78 pounds, with pedals: Now, I can see why the former, real Cannondale lost money on this bike:

Nice job on this(except the crank of course!) but as much as I hate to disagree with you I must, I've had my 07 System since new and same for the 2010 Super Six Hi-Mod and while I like the 07 it really doesn't compare with the SUSI and not just the weight, the front end is more vague than the Super and the rear doesn't track as well either nor is it as compliant.

True, the Supers are extremely refined machines....very dreamy ride quality, indeed. But, for what I paid for my SystemSix - I say the bang for my buck was right there.....

gus68
    Oct 2010
    I have a 2011 non HM SS and the '07 systemsix and I agree for the money the systemsix is a great bang for the buck. I think when I stand on my systemsix it responds better than my super. The front end seems more stable to me, although after 20 years of riding I still suck in the corners.