RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

2009 Carbon Six 1 with shifting issue

I will try to make this brief....have had shifting problems with the rear derailleur Dura Ace 7800) for quite some time on on my 2009 Carbon Six 1. No matter what I do (or two mechanics do) there is always some hesitation when shifting.

If I get the low gears shifting properly, there is hesitation when shifting in the high gears. If I get the high gears shifting properly, there is hesitation when shifting in the low gears.

Took it into LBS over the weekend & they tried replacing the hanger, but that did not fix the problem. The mechanic then checked the alignment of the drop-outs & found they were out of alignment. He asked me to leave the bike there for the service manager to check today for a possible warranty replacement on the frame.

Just got a call from the service manager who told me that my drop-outs are slightly out of alignment (around 1mm), but that is within tolerances. He said he will try some things to get the shifting corrected.

So, my question is if the shifting problems still persist after he works on it, what are my options? If the drop-outs are out of alignment (but within tolerances) and cause shifting problems, am I just going to have to live with it?

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Sucker for carbon
    It seems like the dropouts probably aren't the chief causes of this. What shifters are you using and how old are they? Are your cables/housings old or need replacing? Are your cables routed in a way that might increase friction (tight bends, etc.?) Do you have barrel adjusters installed too? How about your cassette and chain? After replacing mine, my shifting improved a lot...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skaruda_23
    It seems like the dropouts probably aren't the chief causes of this. What shifters are you using and how old are they? Are your cables/housings old or need replacing? Are your cables routed in a way that might increase friction (tight bends, etc.?) Do you have barrel adjusters installed too? How about your cassette and chain? After replacing mine, my shifting improved a lot...

I just bought the bike on closeout this year, so even though it is a 2009, it only has about 1,200 miles on it so far & it has had shifting issues for quite some time.

The dropout alignment was what was mentioned by the first mechanic, so that is what I was basing this on.

Anyways, the shop replaced the rear cable (just the cable, not the housing), the derailleur hanger, adjusted everything & suggested a new chain (which I did). I have only had a short chance to test it after I got it back & it seems better. I guess time will tell if those changes made a difference.

Thanks for your input.