5 12.20%
  • 2010 CAAD9 5 - Blue

4 9.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

2010 CAAD9 4 vs CAAD9 5

Well making the move this week/next week (Specialized to Cannondale)...Pretty sure I'm going with the CAAD9 4, unless there's a screaming deal on a 5. My main question is.....Red or black! (wifey's ride is white)

If I go the 5 route it's going to be the gray, that blue doesn't do it for me...

What do you guys (and gals) think?

Help a newbie out! (not sure on this poll thing...Trying it as a 4 red or black, 5 gray or blue)

Any issues/comments either way between the 4 or 5...Been reading some reviews about the SRAM being troublesome, anyone out there using them? I'm fairly new, should I just stay with the proven 105's?

Dan
    Last edited by Viper1818; 09-05-2010 at 12:25 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    have you checked your LBS to see what is available? I am assuming inventory is low at this point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

LBS avail

My LBS (2 hours away) can get all four options, they don't stock any of them. I was planning on checking on some other options for pricing until I have to make the call. The more I look at that blue, I'm starting to warm up to it. Thinking the SRAM might not be the way to go for me from what I see in some reviews.

Would really like to hear from some who have it and their experience level to compare

Superstar
    Id get Sram and in black. Are you getting a great deal on this bike? If not Id wait and get a 2011 Supersix with 105. Itll be worth it.
    2010 Supersix HM (Mjöllnir)
    2009 Supersix HM (Deceased)
    2008 Systemsix 3 (Deceased)
    1970 Frejus (Deceased)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I wouldn't say a great deal Dev, but I like the idea of having one of the last year CAAD9-usa, have you seen prices on the '11 Supersix 105, I've actually thought of that a little while back.

Dev, have you used the Sram?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I have the 9 4 in Black. I have zero issues with SRAM, works great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the info squares, what's your experience level?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Riding mountain bikes for 15 years. First road bike. Test rode Shimano and SRAM, both seemed intuitive to me. Figured I would get used to either, went with the black 9 4 which obviously has SRAM.

Superstar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper1818
    I wouldn't say a great deal Dev, but I like the idea of having one of the last year CAAD9-usa, have you seen prices on the '11 Supersix 105, I've actually thought of that a little while back.

Dev, have you used the Sram?
    Yes, Ive used Rival, I like it better than my ultegra. Supposedly the Super with 105 is 2k. So yeah there you have it.
    2010 Supersix HM (Mjöllnir)
    2009 Supersix HM (Deceased)
    2008 Systemsix 3 (Deceased)
    1970 Frejus (Deceased)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks squares! that's the type of info I was looking for!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks Dev, good info!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Even tho im im a huge CAAD fan i actually decided to go with the SS 105 or the Rival version of the SS. Personally i just dont like the color scheme of the new CAAD's

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Can't say I'm a huge fan of the colors avail, but price point/reliability and reviews I've read the CAAD9 really seams the way to go (making the jump from Specialized Sirrus) so I guess I'm more the ride good to look good, not look good to ride good camp...My local routes are a little rough so I thought the carbon route (and within my price range) wasn't the direction I wanted to go...Now if I could afford the CAAD9 1, I like the gray version of that the best...But I'm not there...Thanks for the info CdaleNut...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    I voted based on what I actually did. I bought the 9-4 in black. I like the black and the SRAM. I had a little trouble getting the front derailleur dialed in correctly. Mostly a matter of adjustment + break-in, I think. The 9-5 in gray was my second choice.

My wife got the 9-5 Fem. The 105 has more trim positions for the front derailleur, but I seem to be doing OK with just the one trim position.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Good info Morgan, thanks!

Sucker for carbon
    Make sure you try out both groupsets first and see which one feels better to you. Both will be very reliable and of high quality.

That being said, I'd go for a SRAM equipped bike. I used to ride Shimano and now I have Rival. Never going back. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all with the CAAD9-4!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    here's a pic of my bike.
    rival over 105 is a no brainer IMO. Haven't had any problems with the front D. You just have to postilion it right.
    life is short...bike rides don't have to be

RoadBikeReview Member
    Excellent!

I'm running Red shifters with a Force FD...shifting has been spot on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    That's really something I need to do, just hope the LBS has both!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Sweet looking ride zsir, I'm really having a hard time between the black and red...It's probably going to go right down to the line when I have to order it...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Sweet looking ride zsir, I'm really having a hard time between the black and red...It's probably going to go right down to the line when I have to order it..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Hmm - the red is nice. At the time, I didn't want something that flashy, but it is nice.

BTW, what do you call that kind of stand and where did you get it? Is it stable enough to operate the drive train and lube the chain?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Clueless Morgan
    Hmm - the red is nice. At the time, I didn't want something that flashy, but it is nice.

BTW, what do you call that kind of stand and where did you get it? Is it stable enough to operate the drive train and lube the chain?

I bought the stand @ harbor freight >$10 on sale. Yes you are suppose to be able to do the things you ask I have a park work stand so I don't use it for that.
    life is short...bike rides don't have to be

banned
    May 2010
    rival >>>>> 105. rival is even lighter than ultegra, making 105 seem like weights. The rival shifting is quick and snappy. you know what gear you're in once you change. with 105's you'll have to look down at your cassette to see what gear you're in. you dont feel any gear changes. Oh, and they're heavy.

the caad9 4 has the Force crankset. that is multiple times better than the FSA crank on the caad9 5. this alone is worth the $200-300 upgrade over the caad9 5.

obvious choice to go for the 4...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    my lbs is doing $1200 on the 95, and $1550 on the 94, stock being the limiting factor right now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast