Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

2017 SuperSix EVO 2 Disc

47K views 48 replies 12 participants last post by  antihero77 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
It's not a secret that much, I posted a picture of it months ago, it was on the Cannondale Team facebook page being built in their Girona headquarters to be tested at a training camp... Looks very much like the new Evo but with thru-axles front and rear and flat-mount disc interfaces.

Apparently, the UCI will resume the disc brake testing in pro races in June, with manufacturers having to make rotors with round edges and no 'sawtooth' rotor shapes...

But even without the pros, we can already buy road bikes that are a few pounds lighter than what the pros are allowed to use so we could/should also be able to enjoy the better brakes! Coincidentally, discs would make it easier for teams to hit the UCI weight limit! :)

But I'm sure Shimano, SRAM and bike companies would prefer to have pros on discs for marketing purposes (from what I heard, it's mostly Shimano and Specialized that have lobbied the UCI to get pros on discs) but even without it, it's coming...

EDIT: here's a photo.

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Workshop Bicycle wheel Machine

#4 · (Edited)
Must be there for a reason, like it is on the Synapse Disc. I'm thinking it helps lateral and/or torsional stiffness with less weight than if they overbuilt the stays themselves to achieve the same, and carbon is not alloy so it might not have the same results compared to a CAAD12. It's thin and minimal on the Synapse, must not add more than a few grams but potentially allows for that weight and then some to be taken off the stays...

I'm not sure where is that Evo in the pre-production process or if various different designs were tested either...

But interestingly, the new SuperX has no bridge... But a cross bike needs mud clearance and the frame probably needs to be beefed up anyway, a bridge on a road bike doesn't matter much apart from superficial reasons.

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame

#9 ·
Appreciate for the pics.

Having used both systems (Domane Disc 4.5 and CAAD12 Disc), I like thru-axle more. Not saying that QR isn't doing a fine job, but TA is just better.

And the brake disc dia. I think 160mm front should be mandatory for hilly or mountain roads. for the rear, 140 should be fine, but i still prefer 160. More material to store the heat.

by mind says Domane SLR Disc... but my heart is super6 evo disc.

oh, and hopefully the evo disc would come with eTap + hydraulic brakes.

#10 ·
There will be eTap Evos with rim brakes for sure but the only Evo Disc I know of for now is a Ultegra Di2 build but there will be more... officially, these bikes and eTap+Hydro discs don't exist... yet. :wink5:

We'll get the informations and specs of the full 2017 Evo line in July apparently.

#22 · (Edited)
Yes, the Hollowgram wheels are tubeless compatible, there's even a NoTubes logo on it so they probably licence the bead design from them.

Yes the fork is slim, same as the rim brake evos, but compared to the old Evo, the legs have a subtle but definitely there truncated back aero shape that makes them look skinnier from the sides.

Also, having a Synapse Disc with Shimano's 140mm rotors front and back, I think a 160mm front rotor makes sense. Even with Ice Tech rotors and fins on the pads, the front one is not that hard to heat up. The rear doesn't heat up much but it's more into the wind compared to the front that is hidden behind the fork leg and I probably brake harder with the front than the rear to begin with. It's not the end of the world but once in a while after braking hard or for long on steep descents, the front will rub a little for a few seconds until it cools back down.

Personally, I think internal routing looks cute but from maintaining and building mine and some friends bikes, I don't mind external routing at all. Electronics makes this a non issue but cables ain't dead, far from it.

So...

I sold my 2013 Evo Black Inc this weekend, making some room. :D

#15 ·
Dan Gerous, I appreciate that you will likely get to see one of these before many of us.

I am very curious about how they route the hydraulic hoses under the BB, as there is issues with the CAAD12 disc if you want to run a BB that is sleeved as the hoses are attached internal with zip tie and take up too much room - it has even been reported that they rub on the crank spindle.

I expect Praxis to come out with a BB30A version, but wether this works obviously all depends on if the hoses are route around rather than inside the BBshell.

I imagine using PF30A cups will mean that the hoses can be route internally (although a much scrappier solution) - but the only 24mm BB30A solution i know of is c-bear, and is a fully sleeved - and wether or not the hoses fit around it would be a bit of an expensive gamble.

#16 · (Edited)
Dan Gerous, I appreciate that you will likely get to see one of these before many of us.

I am very curious about how they route the hydraulic hoses under the BB, as there is issues with the CAAD12 disc if you want to run a BB that is sleeved as the hoses are attached internal with zip tie and take up too much room - it has even been reported that they rub on the crank spindle.

I expect Praxis to come out with a BB30A version, but wether this works obviously all depends on if the hoses are route around rather than inside the BBshell.

I imagine using PF30A cups will mean that the hoses can be route internally (although a much scrappier solution) - but the only 24mm BB30A solution i know of is c-bear, and is a fully sleeved - and wether or not the hoses fit around it would be a bit of an expensive gamble.
I haven't seen a hose poking out of the Evo Disc's BB but only saw a few photos, not in the flesh yet... But 'I think' there will be more room inside as the internal diameter for PF30 is bigger than BB30 and typically, the BB areas of carbon frames are bigger than alloy ones (on an alloy frame, you basically have a BB30 bearing sized tube). Evo is PF30a, CAAD12 is BB30a.

Personally I never had any issues with Cannondale's stock alloy PF30 BB cups or BB30 setups and I would not consider using a non BB30 crankset... but, I hope there is room for a sleeved BB, I really like the idea of the threaded PF30 BB's (Wheels MFG makes some but Enduro's TorqTite and now Rotor also make some sweet ones for BB30 cranks but also reducer models for Shimano/Sram cranks where the two cups thread into each other, making them very easy to install and guaranteeing the two bearings are perfectly aligned, heavier than stock PF30 setups but a good solution for the few who have problematic BB creaks).

#18 ·
This paint pattern looks much better IMO... Second colorway for the Mechanical Ultegra model (first one is the green/black like Ted King has posted above).

View attachment 314719
is that the hi Mod Evo?

part of me want to embrace external routing as it is so much more convenient ..... but :cryin::cryin::cryin::cryin: suspect it might be the non hi mod as all the hi mods in 2016 had the $ave seatpost

but it does look a lot like the Hi Mod renders

Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Wheel

#25 · (Edited)
The new Evos (disc and rim brake models) are now posted on cannondale's website. Some are already in shops, others apparently in July-september (will the new Dura-Ace 9100 be?)...

The disc models are a bit... mid-range. But I think we may get more high-end models in 2017. SRAM eTap HydroHC was announced but details will only come at Eurobike and the Disc version of the new Dura-Ace wont ship for a few months... I heard there would be both rim and disc brakes versions at each build levels eventually.

I sold my Evo Black Inc last week... now I'm juggling with the idea of getting one now but selling all the parts to rebuild it custom, or buy a frameset if available, or wait to see if more interesting builds show up later. Hmmmm...

#33 ·
The new Evos (disc and rim brake models) are now posted on cannondale's website. Some are already in shops, others apparently in July-september (will the new Dura-Ace 9100 be?)...

The disc models are a bit... mid-range. But I think we may get more high-end models in 2017. SRAM eTap HydroHC was announced but details will only come at Eurobike and the Disc version of the new Dura-Ace wont ship for a few months... I heard there would be both rim and disc brakes versions at each build levels eventually.

I sold my Evo Black Inc last week... now I'm juggling with the idea of getting one now but selling all the parts to rebuild it custom, or buy a frameset if available, or wait to see if more interesting builds show up later. Hmmmm...
Photoshopped but nonetheless...

Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Disc Team 2017 Road Bike from Wheelies

#30 ·
This has me way intrigued AND I sold my Specialized Allez Sprint to a guy from Germany recently. I really like the look of the (most affordable) Ultegra Disc version. I think I am with you guys on this one, particularly if I can spring for the eTap disc version as well....

#39 ·
Hey Dan, thank you for the thorough reply and apologies for taking me that long to reply. I agree with your analysis, as much as I can tell theoretically, but the proof is in the pudding. So I sold my Synapse HiMod Disc and ordered a HiMod S6E Disc, to be delivered sometime next week. After a substantial upgrade all over, I'll post some pics.:aureola:

#40 ·
I got my SuperSix Disc Hi-Mod Ultegra Di2 on Friday. One thing I found curious was the build I got was different then all the marketing photos on the website. Specifically, seatpost was not the SAVE carbon post, but a standard C2 post. Also, the handlebar/stem were supposed to be C1 with integrated garmin mount but I got C2 on both without the garmin mount. Also, in all the marketing pics the discs were RT99 Freeze discs but instead I got standard RT81 discs. Not quite sure what happened Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim

#41 · (Edited)
I got my SuperSix Disc Hi-Mod Ultegra Di2 on Friday. One thing I found curious was the build I got was different then all the marketing photos on the website. Specifically, seatpost was not the SAVE carbon post, but a standard C2 post. Also, the handlebar/stem were supposed to be C1 with integrated garmin mount but I got C2 on both without the garmin mount. Also, in all the marketing pics the discs were RT99 Freeze discs but instead I got standard RT81 discs. Not quite sure what happened
A few things.

Marketing photos are either photoshopped before the production bikes are available, for exemple, the Evo eTap catalog photos have a Di2 wire connecting the rear mech! :D Or, they exist but are needed for photo shoots before the final specs are 100% decided so they're built with different parts that might change for production models. Even the bikes journalists try at bike launches are usually pre-production samples so, not always built with the final specs.

Canadian specs say a C2 post... That's just an exemple to underline specs can vary depending from one country/market to the next, so make sure you check the right country's spec sheet.

Otherwise, sometimes they change parts if something is not available for too long or if there is an issue with a certain part. For exemple, despite what Shimano says, 140mm RT99 rotors on the front are known to be a bit too easy to overheat (I know from experience), I've heard Cannondale might spec 160mm front ones from now on, despite the marketing photos being 140mm.

Now, I'm not sure what's the case here, you should ask your dealer about it, they should be able to tell you why and try to make you happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.