Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

2017 SuperSix EVO 2 Disc

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/R...ks_English.pdf

SuperSix EVO 2 Disc (EVO 2 = MY 2016 S6 EVO)

App. Date 07.04.2016

Will we ever see it given the halt of the disc brake experiment in UCI races?

LA CHEVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by jumbojuice View Post
    http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/R...ks_English.pdf

SuperSix EVO 2 Disc (EVO 2 = MY 2016 S6 EVO)

App. Date 07.04.2016

Will we ever see it given the halt of the disc brake experiment in UCI races?
    It's not a secret that much, I posted a picture of it months ago, it was on the Cannondale Team facebook page being built in their Girona headquarters to be tested at a training camp... Looks very much like the new Evo but with thru-axles front and rear and flat-mount disc interfaces.

Apparently, the UCI will resume the disc brake testing in pro races in June, with manufacturers having to make rotors with round edges and no 'sawtooth' rotor shapes...

But even without the pros, we can already buy road bikes that are a few pounds lighter than what the pros are allowed to use so we could/should also be able to enjoy the better brakes! Coincidentally, discs would make it easier for teams to hit the UCI weight limit!

But I'm sure Shimano, SRAM and bike companies would prefer to have pros on discs for marketing purposes (from what I heard, it's mostly Shimano and Specialized that have lobbied the UCI to get pros on discs) but even without it, it's coming...

EDIT: here's a photo.

2017 SuperSix EVO 2 Disc-10357695_622478224570233_7149736878155961818_o.jpg
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 05-09-2016 at 07:58 AM.

DAN GEROUS

: ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    nice brake bridge

LA CHEVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by gaff View Post
    nice brake bridge
    Must be there for a reason, like it is on the Synapse Disc. I'm thinking it helps lateral and/or torsional stiffness with less weight than if they overbuilt the stays themselves to achieve the same, and carbon is not alloy so it might not have the same results compared to a CAAD12. It's thin and minimal on the Synapse, must not add more than a few grams but potentially allows for that weight and then some to be taken off the stays...

I'm not sure where is that Evo in the pre-production process or if various different designs were tested either...

But interestingly, the new SuperX has no bridge... But a cross bike needs mud clearance and the frame probably needs to be beefed up anyway, a bridge on a road bike doesn't matter much apart from superficial reasons.

2017 SuperSix EVO 2 Disc-13227647_990644761021823_5150684946746119647_o.jpg
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 05-13-2016 at 08:43 AM.

DAN GEROUS

LA CHEVRE
    Or maybe the bridge is used as a spoiler to redirect air over the rear wheel for aero reasons or to get the rear wheel to stick to the ground better like a race car.

Okay that was not serious.

DAN GEROUS

LA CHEVRE
    Ted King's new ride.
    Evo Disc + eTap for hydraulic discs...

2017 SuperSix EVO 2 Disc-supersixdisc.jpg

DAN GEROUS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Ted King's new ride.
    Evo Disc + eTap for hydraulic discs...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SuperSixDisc.jpg 
Views:	10600 
Size:	314.3 KB 
ID:	314212
    thx!!! now I need the release date...

LA CHEVRE
    thx!!! now I need the release date...
    Shouldn't be too far, guys from the team are now sharing theirs on social media (since they can't be shown in races). Here's Tom-Jelte Slagter's bike.

Oddly, it looks like they opted for a QR rear but a thru-axle front (unless Mavic has some sort of QR-thru-axle lever). I know the team much prefers QR for quicker wheel changes (and external cable routing for easier maintenance when they used mechanical groups) but not sure if the market wants that... Not a big fan of that 'eagle-wings' paint detail behind the headtube...

2017 SuperSix EVO 2 Disc-evodisc_side.jpg

2017 SuperSix EVO 2 Disc-evodisc_front.jpg

DAN GEROUS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Appreciate for the pics.

Having used both systems (Domane Disc 4.5 and CAAD12 Disc), I like thru-axle more. Not saying that QR isn't doing a fine job, but TA is just better.

And the brake disc dia. I think 160mm front should be mandatory for hilly or mountain roads. for the rear, 140 should be fine, but i still prefer 160. More material to store the heat.

by mind says Domane SLR Disc... but my heart is super6 evo disc.

oh, and hopefully the evo disc would come with eTap + hydraulic brakes.

LA CHEVRE
    There will be eTap Evos with rim brakes for sure but the only Evo Disc I know of for now is a Ultegra Di2 build but there will be more... officially, these bikes and eTap+Hydro discs don't exist... yet.

We'll get the informations and specs of the full 2017 Evo line in July apparently.

DAN GEROUS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    There will be eTap Evos with rim brakes for sure but the only Evo Disc I know of for now is a Ultegra Di2 build but there will be more... officially, these bikes and eTap+Hydro discs don't exist... yet.

We'll get the informations and specs of the full 2017 Evo line in July apparently.
    Why wouldn't the 2017 come with Dura Ace Di2 disc?
    2014 Synapse Hi-Mod Disc Di2 Enve 3.4
    2013 Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Dura Ace Ardennes+
    2012 Niner Jet 9 RDO

LA CHEVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by duffin View Post
    Why wouldn't the 2017 come with Dura Ace Di2 disc?
    I didn't say it wouldn't, only said I have seen a Ultegra Di2 model, didn't see the other models. But as you know, there is always various builds so very possibly, there will be a Dura-Ace Di2, eTap Disc and various mechanical transmission options too.

DAN GEROUS

LA CHEVRE
    The Ultegra Di2 model:

2017 SuperSix EVO 2 Disc-evodiscui2_crop.jpg
    2017 SuperSix EVO 2 Disc-cannondale-supersix-evo-hi-mod-disc-ultegra-di2-2017_1000x800.jpg

DAN GEROUS

RoadBikeReview Member
    140mm disc.... the front fork is slim! and GS rd for 32T?

edit: the wheelset! is it tubeless? 'cos there's Schwalbe Pro One installed...
    Last edited by jumbojuice; 06-08-2016 at 01:25 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Dan Gerous, I appreciate that you will likely get to see one of these before many of us.

I am very curious about how they route the hydraulic hoses under the BB, as there is issues with the CAAD12 disc if you want to run a BB that is sleeved as the hoses are attached internal with zip tie and take up too much room - it has even been reported that they rub on the crank spindle.

I expect Praxis to come out with a BB30A version, but wether this works obviously all depends on if the hoses are route around rather than inside the BBshell.

I imagine using PF30A cups will mean that the hoses can be route internally (although a much scrappier solution) - but the only 24mm BB30A solution i know of is c-bear, and is a fully sleeved - and wether or not the hoses fit around it would be a bit of an expensive gamble.

LA CHEVRE
    Dan Gerous, I appreciate that you will likely get to see one of these before many of us.

I am very curious about how they route the hydraulic hoses under the BB, as there is issues with the CAAD12 disc if you want to run a BB that is sleeved as the hoses are attached internal with zip tie and take up too much room - it has even been reported that they rub on the crank spindle.

I expect Praxis to come out with a BB30A version, but wether this works obviously all depends on if the hoses are route around rather than inside the BBshell.

I imagine using PF30A cups will mean that the hoses can be route internally (although a much scrappier solution) - but the only 24mm BB30A solution i know of is c-bear, and is a fully sleeved - and wether or not the hoses fit around it would be a bit of an expensive gamble.
    I haven't seen a hose poking out of the Evo Disc's BB but only saw a few photos, not in the flesh yet... But 'I think' there will be more room inside as the internal diameter for PF30 is bigger than BB30 and typically, the BB areas of carbon frames are bigger than alloy ones (on an alloy frame, you basically have a BB30 bearing sized tube). Evo is PF30a, CAAD12 is BB30a.

Personally I never had any issues with Cannondale's stock alloy PF30 BB cups or BB30 setups and I would not consider using a non BB30 crankset... but, I hope there is room for a sleeved BB, I really like the idea of the threaded PF30 BB's (Wheels MFG makes some but Enduro's TorqTite and now Rotor also make some sweet ones for BB30 cranks but also reducer models for Shimano/Sram cranks where the two cups thread into each other, making them very easy to install and guaranteeing the two bearings are perfectly aligned, heavier than stock PF30 setups but a good solution for the few who have problematic BB creaks).
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 06-15-2016 at 10:57 AM.

DAN GEROUS

LA CHEVRE
    This paint pattern looks much better IMO... Second colorway for the Mechanical Ultegra model (first one is the green/black like Ted King has posted above).

2017 SuperSix EVO 2 Disc-evo_disc_ultegra.jpg

DAN GEROUS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    This paint pattern looks much better IMO... Second colorway for the Mechanical Ultegra model (first one is the green/black like Ted King has posted above).

Name:	Evo_Disc_Ultegra.jpg 
Views:	1163 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	314719
    is that the hi Mod Evo?

part of me want to embrace external routing as it is so much more convenient ..... but suspect it might be the non hi mod as all the hi mods in 2016 had the $ave seatpost

but it does look a lot like the Hi Mod renders

2017 SuperSix EVO 2 Disc-qssncme.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    and looks like they have put 160mm rotors on the Mechanical Ultegra and 140mm on di2.

LA CHEVRE
    is that the hi Mod Evo?

part of me want to embrace external routing as it is so much more convenient ..... but suspect it might be the non hi mod as all the hi mods in 2016 had the $ave seatpost

but it does look a lot like the Hi Mod renders

Name:	qSSNCMe.jpg 
Views:	5128 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	314722
    Yes that's a Hi-Mod frame... but given it's speced with Mavic Aksium Disc wheels, I'm guessing they want to offer the Hi-Mod Disc at lower price points... but the spec sheets says Save post so it might be a case of a photo photoshopped with the wrong post (these images are sometimes done before the bikes are even made so if specs change before production starts, things like that can happen) or it's a US vs Euro model thing... But all the Evos have the gear cables routed externally along the down tube, Hi-Mod or non Hi-Mod.

Oh and there is non Hi-Mod new Evos for 2017, using the 2016 Hi-Mod molds, bringing the new features into a lower price range.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 06-20-2016 at 01:30 PM.

DAN GEROUS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    i think the price point is a couple of hundred Euro above the non-HM synapse.

A bit conflicted by the external routing though it is so much more convenient.

LA CHEVRE
    140mm disc.... the front fork is slim! and GS rd for 32T?

edit: the wheelset! is it tubeless? 'cos there's Schwalbe Pro One installed...
    Yes, the Hollowgram wheels are tubeless compatible, there's even a NoTubes logo on it so they probably licence the bead design from them.

Yes the fork is slim, same as the rim brake evos, but compared to the old Evo, the legs have a subtle but definitely there truncated back aero shape that makes them look skinnier from the sides.

Also, having a Synapse Disc with Shimano's 140mm rotors front and back, I think a 160mm front rotor makes sense. Even with Ice Tech rotors and fins on the pads, the front one is not that hard to heat up. The rear doesn't heat up much but it's more into the wind compared to the front that is hidden behind the fork leg and I probably brake harder with the front than the rear to begin with. It's not the end of the world but once in a while after braking hard or for long on steep descents, the front will rub a little for a few seconds until it cools back down.

Personally, I think internal routing looks cute but from maintaining and building mine and some friends bikes, I don't mind external routing at all. Electronics makes this a non issue but cables ain't dead, far from it.

So...

I sold my 2013 Evo Black Inc this weekend, making some room.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 06-27-2016 at 12:03 PM.

DAN GEROUS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Also, having a Synapse Disc with Shimano's 140mm rotors front and back, I think a 160mm front rotor makes sense. Even with Ice Tech rotors and fins on the pads, the front one is not that hard to heat up. The rear doesn't heat up much but it's more into the wind compared to the front that is hidden behind the fork leg and I probably brake harder with the front than the rear to begin with. It's not the end of the world but once in a while after braking hard or for long on steep descents, the front will rub a little for a few seconds until it cools back down.
    I totally agree with you on the 160mm front disc. Tour Magazine actually reported that on long descendings, 160 is a must (and/or if the rider is heavy). Descending after a hard climb is so enjoyable. Heavy braking before a bend, only single finger is needed (use the drop). I'm now in love with rain day riding. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbggWVsCLrk

One thing that make me hesitate on going after the Evo is the racy frame geometry. I'm actually considering Domane SLR (I have a Domane Disc although CAAD12 Disc is my current steed) for the relaxed fitting. If only Synapse would be updated with the latest like thru-axle and flat mount brakes...

LA CHEVRE
    More details on Velonews but, 56cm Hi-Mod disc frame weighs 829gr, the thru-12 disc fork 360gr and there will be a non Hi-Mod Disc frame that weighs 980gr. Geometry is apparently unchanged.

Now waiting for the various models & specs...

DAN GEROUS

LA CHEVRE
    The new Evos (disc and rim brake models) are now posted on cannondale's website. Some are already in shops, others apparently in July-september (will the new Dura-Ace 9100 be?)...

The disc models are a bit... mid-range. But I think we may get more high-end models in 2017. SRAM eTap HydroHC was announced but details will only come at Eurobike and the Disc version of the new Dura-Ace wont ship for a few months... I heard there would be both rim and disc brakes versions at each build levels eventually.

I sold my Evo Black Inc last week... now I'm juggling with the idea of getting one now but selling all the parts to rebuild it custom, or buy a frameset if available, or wait to see if more interesting builds show up later. Hmmmm...
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 07-01-2016 at 11:37 AM.

DAN GEROUS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast