Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C2 vs C3 stem

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

C2 vs C3 stem

Does anyone know the difference? My bike was supposed to come with a C2 stem, but came with a C3 instead. I would like to know if it's worth pursuing the correct part.

On a different mission...
    C3 is better than the C2...as the C4 is lightest(90mm = 119g).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    So why is a C2 seatpost better than a C3?

Quote Originally Posted by djh01
    So why is a C2 seatpost better than a C3?
    C2 seatpost is carbon wrap and weighs 248g in 27.2 x 300mm. The C3 post is all aluminum and weighs about 299g in the same exact size.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    According to Cannondale, the C2 seatpost is full carbon, whereas the C3 is carbon wrapped.

This would make me think that a lower number is always better (just like on the bicycles themselves).

According to you though, a Cannondale C3 stem is better than a C2. If so, why is the CAAD9-4 specced with a C2, whereas the CAAD8-6 is specced with a C4? I think you are a bit mixed up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I don't know but I'm guessing the op has a 9 4 . The diff between the C2 and C3 stem is 6000 series vrs 7000 series aluminum. The C2 is made of 7000 series aluminum and is a litttle bit lighter.
    life is short...bike rides don't have to be

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    C2 seatpost is carbon wrap and weighs 248g in 27.2 x 300mm. The C3 post is all aluminum and weighs about 299g in the same exact size.
    I'm as confused as anyone about the distinctions between the C# stems and posts, but I have a C2 seatpost and it is definitely carbon-wrapped, not full carbon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    My cannondale c2 stem needs to be replaced with a smaller one. Where do I purchase one?

fu
    Quote Originally Posted by dantsai
    I'm as confused as anyone about the distinctions between the C# stems and posts, but I have a C2 seatpost and it is definitely carbon-wrapped, not full carbon.
    What model year is your seatpost? The 2010 C2 is full carbon.

fu
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCrosse
    My cannondale c2 stem needs to be replaced with a smaller one. Where do I purchase one?
    From your Cannondale dealer ...but you don't have to replace it with a Cannondale stem. Any brand is fine as long as it's the right size.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Cannondale 2010 synapse carbon. It is a c2 i believe.
    I need a shorter one than the one I currently have.
    Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Fleabay - picked up a C3 stem for 19.95 shipped - new. Needed an 80mm over the stock 100mm that came with my CAAD9-5.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-O
    Fleabay - picked up a C3 stem for 19.95 shipped - new. Needed an 80mm over the stock 100mm that came with my CAAD9-5.
    Damn...that is a steal!!!!
    2007 Cannondale SystemSix1 - Full Dura Ace; Campagnolo Shamal Ultra SOLD

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    one on there now for buy it now of $15. C3 100mm

RoadBikeReview Member
    From my 2010 Synapse Alloy 6:
    -C3 stem, alloy, 100mm, 148.7g
    -C2 seat post, alloy/carbon wrap, 27.2x300mm, 248g

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    C3 stems are pretty darn light for what they are.

Here's my 100mm C3:

^Wow, that's LIGHT! I had to get new, minimalist 31.8mm clamps to make my 90mm C4 stem 129g:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    ^^ I see what you done there and nice work!!

The bolts were 2g heavier than the 3T ARX LTD Ti bolts. So the maths says x6 = 12g saved from just bolts. So if you haven't gone Ti bolts. Do it! Cheap savings right there!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    How do you know what stem angle you have? I have a 2009 Synapse with a C? stem. I need another stem for a Synapse frame I bought for my wife.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So I was grave digging to find any info on C3 carbon wrap seat post and found this thread.
    Is carbon wrap only an external layer of carbon sheet just to hide the aluminum underneath and make the seat post look better? Only for the blink factor?
    Does the C3 carbon wrap seat post has any of the carbon fibre properties or is it as harsh as any other aluminum seat post?

Thanx!

Quote Originally Posted by CAADEL View Post
    So I was grave digging to find any info on C3 carbon wrap seat post and found this thread.
    Is carbon wrap only an external layer of carbon sheet just to hide the aluminum underneath and make the seat post look better? Only for the blink factor?
    Does the C3 carbon wrap seat post has any of the carbon fibre properties or is it as harsh as any other aluminum seat post?

Thanx!
    The C3 wrapped seatpost is actually a thin aluminum unit, cosmetically enhanced with CF wrap. It's heavy and still has a tendency to slowly drop inside the seat tube. A better option is the out-of-production, Cannondale Wind Carbon post, which is primarily a carbon post, with a thin aluminum inner lining. It weighed under 200 grams and effectively muted road vibrations very well, unlike the C3.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    The C3 wrapped seatpost is actually a thin aluminum unit, cosmetically enhanced with CF wrap. It's heavy and still has a tendency to slowly drop inside the seat tube. A better option is the out-of-production, Cannondale Wind Carbon post, which is primarily a carbon post, with a thin aluminum inner lining. It weighed under 200 grams and effectively muted road vibrations very well, unlike the C3.
    agreed, the c3 seatpost isn't worth putting much effort into. If you want a good post at a good price, get a thomson elite.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    So Cannondale Wind Carbon post is also a carbon wrap seat post. Right? Or do you mean that the difference is the amount of carbon wrapped around the aluminum?

Anyway, I guess the first thing to replace is the seat post. I've already bought a 27.2x300 Stella Azzurra Monza Carbon Seatpost from bonktown.com a few months ago
    and I was planning to use it on my commuter, but I never did so far. Do you think this is going to be a better seat post? I've no idea whether Stella Azzurras are great or bad.
    Is it worth it to give it a try or is it better to search for a better alternative, like fsa or ritchey (or thomson like ziscwg has said) for example? I also like the KCNC Scandium Seatposts.
    Last edited by CAADEL; 08-10-2011 at 11:09 AM.

fu
    NVM ..repeating myself. I must be getting old.
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CAADEL View Post
    So Cannondale Wind Carbon post is also a carbon wrap seat post. Right? Or do you mean that the difference is the amount of carbon wrapped around the aluminum?

Anyway, I guess the first thing to replace is the seat post. I've already bought a 27.2x300 Stella Azzurra Monza Carbon Seatpost from bonktown.com a few months ago
    and I was planning to use it on my commuter, but I never did so far. Do you think this is going to be a better seat post? I've no idea whether Stella Azzurras are great or bad.
    Is it worth it to give it a try or is it better to search for a better alternative, like fsa or ritchey (or thomson like ziscwg has said) for example? I also like the KCNC Scandium Seatposts.
    I replaced the c2 seatpost on my caad9 with this post

FortÚPro Carbon Seatpost - Road Bike Seatposts

you can read my review there too. I cut 60mm off it and it now weighs 140g got it during the double points weekend
    life is short...bike rides don't have to be

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast