RoadBikeReview Member

Exclamation CAAD10 Chain skipping on cogs when in small ring up front?

Hey everyone, i have a 2011 CAAD10-3 with Ultegra 6700, and the FSA 53/39 crank.

The bike has been awesome, i have about 700 miles on it now and i think i need to tighten the rear derailer cable....

The bike rides fine and shifts great while in the big ring up front, however when in the small 39t ring up front the chain occasionally pops and jumps around on the cogs when under load. (like one jump every 2-3 revolutions on the crank).

The bike has never been crashed or even fallen over, so bent/broken stuff is not likely.

I am thinking the rear der. cable tension is too low; after 700 miles of the cable breaking in???
    Should i back out the adjuster on the rear der? if so how many turns and in what increments?

Thanks for any advice,
    Jon

RoadBikeReview Member
    A slightly mis-adjusted RD cable does not usually cause the problem you describe.

Firstly, don't cross-chain. You should not be using the smallest 3 sprockets while in the small ring.

If you have routinely been doing this, and highly loaded, you could have already caused sprocket wear.

Why not take it back to your LBS and have them check hanger alignment, and RD setup.

A slightly mis-adjusted cable shows up as slow, not crisp, shifting, not chain skip. In making adjustments, no more than 1/2 a turn at a time. But I don't think that's your problem.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am not cross chaining it...I am in the middle of the 10 speed cog set, and on the small ring up front.

When I am in the big ring up front and in the middle of the cog set, it works great.

I can be in the same rear cog, and it runs smooth with 53t up front, but clatters if I downshift to the 39t up front.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Your symptom is more like hanger misalignment, which is very common, or a worn/damaged sprocket. Even a brand new bike can come with a misaligned hanger. Requires a specialized tool to check which is why I recommended your LBS. Symptom would be less than optimal shifting and noise.

When you said this
    the chain occasionally pops and jumps around on the cogs when under load.
    , I immediately thought "worn sprocket".

If you can back off the adjustment in small increments, and shifting improves, and no more skipping, then that's good. If you continue to get skipping under load, you have a damaged/worn sprocket. (and it's always the ones that are used the most!).

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    UPDATE!

Since i am a do it yourself kinda guy (home renovation, basic auto maintenance, and i can rebuild an entire dirtbike from the frame up)...I decided to finally teach myself bicycle tuning.....
    First, I cleaned and lubed the drive train with the parktool cyclone chain scrubber.
    Then i completely re-tuned the rear der.
    (first i eyeballed the alignment of the jockey wheels and hanger with the cogs, it seems to be running straight...i may get the alignment tool later just to add it to my tool collection.)
    Went for a short test ride, it shifts alot crisper and the chain no longer hunts around while in the small ring up front!
    I think it was just the slack in the cable letting it chatter between cogs

Thank you for your help bikerjulio!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcgill View Post
    UPDATE!

Since i am a do it yourself kinda guy (home renovation, basic auto maintenance, and i can rebuild an entire dirtbike from the frame up)...I decided to finally teach myself bicycle tuning.....
    First, I cleaned and lubed the drive train with the parktool cyclone chain scrubber.
    Then i completely re-tuned the rear der.
    (first i eyeballed the alignment of the jockey wheels and hanger with the cogs, it seems to be running straight...i may get the alignment tool later just to add it to my tool collection.)
    Went for a short test ride, it shifts alot crisper and the chain no longer hunts around while in the small ring up front!
    I think it was just the slack in the cable letting it chatter between cogs

Thank you for your help bikerjulio!
    i'm happy if it worked out OK.

as you can imagine its difficult to try and help online. and there are a few different things that can cause the problem you had.

One.