RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Caad8 6 Tiagra vs Synapse 6 Tiagra

I am deciding on my first road bike (I am a mountain biker), and wanted to know what you recomend. I have heard that the Synapse is more comfy and the Caad8 is more for speed, but I am open to either one. I will get the Caad 10 in a few years if I stick with road biking, but I need a road bike now, so I am going more towards entry level. The reason I am getting a cheaper bike now is because I am on a tight budget and can not afford the 10 right now. Also, I noticed that the Synapse is 3X10 and the Caad8 is 2X10. How does this affect riding?
    Thanks,
    Nate

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Also, how does the (I know this is a bad word in the Cannondale forums, but I will say it anyway.) Specialized Allez Elite Compact compare?

T K
    wasssabi
    Do live in a hilly area? If so the triple is nice for a noob. My first bike was a triple and I still could barely get up some hills in my area in the lowest gear. Now I can take those same hills in the big ring. You can always upgrade to a nicer double compact crankset later.
    If you live in a flat area the double will be fine especialy if it is a compact. I'm not sure what Cannondale is specing on the caad 8.
    My first bike in '05 was an Allez Elite. I was all "Mr Specialized" back then. Now I have come to know that Specialized is evil. Almost everything about them now makes me sick. You should hear the owner of my lbs, a specialized dealer talk about them. Not good. Their bikes are fine, but Cannondale is way better at aluminum and always has been.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I live in Knansas, so no hills here. so I have decided aginst the Allez, but do you thing a frequent mountain-biker would do ok with the double on the Caad8?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    by thing, I meant think

T K
    wasssabi
    Kansas, yes I would go caad 8. And I see they do come with compact gearing (smaller front chainrings) 50/34 as opposed to standard gearing, so that will be great. If you get caught in a nasty headwind, wich you probobly will those lower gears will be nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Yeah, get it with a compact front & you will be just fine - especially if you are in decent "bike shape" from MTBing. I rode a CAAD8, and really liked it, but decided to spring a bit more for the CAAD10. The CAAD8 will be a good entry bike and will serve you well, so would the synapse though.

Buy which ever fits you best and get to riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Ok, thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I have a triple: 52/42/30 with 12-25. My new synapse is compact double: 50/34 with 11-28. The range of gears is almost identical (www.gear-calculator.com is a great site). The gear spacing doesn't feel that different. The one thing I like about the triple is that for most of my riding I mostly use the middle ring on the front. With the compact double I find myself using the front derailleur more often.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

New road bike - CAAD8 vs. Silverback STRELA 1 vs. FELT 75

Hello
    Thisis my first post to this forum so apolgies in advance if I appear vague or confused. My girlfriend and I have spent the last 2 Saturday's visiting various bike shops in Sydney. We are looking for a 'good value for money' road bike. We are new to biking and are conscious about over investing before we are committed to the cause; on the other hand conscious about cutting off our noses to spite our face by buying too low. At present we are looking at:
    a. Cannondale CAAD10 with Group 5 Shimano (on special for $1600).
    b. Silverback STRELA1
    c. Bianchi Via Niron 2012
    d. FELT F75

I would really appreciate your experienes

Best regards Elizabeth

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    This particular forum is about Cannondale bikes and is not appropriate for this forum. I recommend the "Bike, Frames and Forks" forum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    one thing I've noticed is that the Aluminum Synapse uses a medium reach brake so you have a little more clearance for bigger tires and/or fenders, this can be a big benefit if you plan on using it for commuting as you don't have to pump up bigger tires as much (incase of flats/hand pump action) and you can run a more rugged tire,

other bikes that run medium reach brakes are Novara's
    riding: 2013 Cannondale Caad8 w/Rival-FSA-Shimano mix, 2011 Raleigh Grand Prix, Cannondale Rize 4 (mountain bike), Cannondale Capo (track bike), Bontrager Race Lite OR (converted to commuter bike), Diamondback Outlook (grocery getter),