Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

CAAD9-4 or CAAD10-4

What do you guys think. Going to pick one of them up tomorrow.

CAAD9 is $1125 Shim 105 and the CAAD10 is $1260 Shim 105. Both are real close in comfort. CAAD10 is a little lighter. Love the looks of the CAAD9 frame. Help me decide leaning towards the CAAD9.

What do you think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Aside from price, the two biggest other variables IMO are...

2010- Is the last year of Made in USA alloy frame.

2011- Has the new 105 drivetrain. Caad 10 is getting great reviews.

Unless, the Made in the USA thing is important to you, I'd drop the extra money on the Caad 10. Also, are you sure they are the #4 model? I think that numbering is reserved for SRAM Rival.

RoadBikeReview Member
    i'll get caad9 5 with newer 105,$950 OTD if you can still find one....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Clobber....My mistake. CAAD9-5 and CAAD10-5 both with Shim-105

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's mine, just for deciding factor..got it $950 ODT

Quote Originally Posted by bjb85runner
    Clobber....My mistake. CAAD9-5 and CAAD10-5 both with Shim-105
    Last edited by bon_gabs; 03-30-2011 at 08:54 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Caad9=tried and true design, made in the USA
    Caad10=new design, made in Asia, likely stiffer in some respects, not so in others........ I know that when I looked at one, I was a little worried about the thinness of the top tube when I gave it my "ping" fingernail test! (as I have worried about high end Scott Alloy frames)...... not so on my Caad 9!
    riding: 2013 Cannondale Caad8 w/Rival-FSA-Shimano mix, 2011 Raleigh Grand Prix, Cannondale Rize 4 (mountain bike), Cannondale Capo (track bike), Bontrager Race Lite OR (converted to commuter bike), Diamondback Outlook (grocery getter),

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Which one did you end up with?

swervy jervy
    Quote Originally Posted by kneejerk
    Caad9=tried and true design, made in the USA
    Caad10=new design, made in Asia, likely stiffer in some respects, not so in others........ I know that when I looked at one, I was a little worried about the thinness of the top tube when I gave it my "ping" fingernail test! (as I have worried about high end Scott Alloy frames)...... not so on my Caad 9!
    You recommend the 9 because your fingernail sound indicates the 10 will crumble?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the pope
    You recommend the 9 because your fingernail sound indicates the 10 will crumble?
    Yeah, I think the longevity of something that flimbsy could be suspect. If I recall correctly the top tube felt soft with a squeeze of my fingers (as do some of the Scott high end alloys I've seen), kinda scary how easily they can dent. I got the impression that the Caad 10 was that way, although I haven't seen one in a few months now.

Now, I haven't tried to squeeze the tubes on my Caad 9 in a while either! Pretty sure they are pretty solid feeling.

The Caad 10 rear triangle appears to be a step forward in design and construction compared to the Caad 9.

I've only seen one Caad 10 at a local dealer.
    riding: 2013 Cannondale Caad8 w/Rival-FSA-Shimano mix, 2011 Raleigh Grand Prix, Cannondale Rize 4 (mountain bike), Cannondale Capo (track bike), Bontrager Race Lite OR (converted to commuter bike), Diamondback Outlook (grocery getter),

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    The CAAD9 is awesome, so might as well save the money and get that. I doubt you will be able to tell any difference between the 2 frames while riding them -- did you test ride?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

Talking

Bought the CAAD9. Coming off a full suspension Santa Cruz man this thing is light and the pedal response is awesome

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

Talking

Bought the CAAD9. Coming off a full suspension Santa Cruz man this thing is light and the pedal response is awesome

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Bad ass bike man

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was worried about my "kneejerk" reaction here. So, yesterday with not much to do I went into my local Cdale dealer for a look see. Unfortuneatly they didn't have any mens Caad10s built up. I did squeaze the top tubes on a few womens Caad10s and didn't detect any noticable squeeze with my fingers. The ping test again gave me the impression the material was very thin.

At home I gave my Caad 9 the same tests to the top tube and found no squeeze was possible, and the ping test (with my finger nail) gave a more droned or solid sound.

I have nothing against the new Cannondale Caad10's. I just like my Caad9 a lot. I also like what Cannondale does. Even after the switch to Asian frame assembly, they still seem to be offering top notch stuff. If I was to buy a high end alloy road bike the Caad10 would be high on the list.

While I was there I test rode a couple of SL2 29ers in both medium and large. I'm fancying one of those to test the effectiveness of larger wheels. I was a little surprised I prefer the large with a smaller stem. I had previously thought the medium would work better for me. But, I always prefer the more stable steering manners a "large" mountain bike offers, and I noticed it right away between the two (call me weird). I'm only 5'8" w/o gear and most people think I need a medium.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Might be making a similar decision here. Couple of weeks ago, I tried the a couple of synapses and liked them. The other day I went in and the lbs had a caad 10 105, road that and the geometry was more what I'm used to. Caad 10 was a pretty smooth ride and did seem quite fast, however, I can vouch for Kneejerks toptube test. Squeeze the top and bottom right in the middle of the top tube and you can see the sides bow out. Kinda makes me nervous and wondering about longevity.

Kneejerk, or anyone else who has ridden both, how do the two frames compare? Is the ride similar or is the the CAAD 10 much smoother. I like speed and am used to traditional race bike geometry but ride a lot on country roads which can have "gravel" like surface texture.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biffster
    Might be making a similar decision here. Couple of weeks ago, I tried the a couple of synapses and liked them. The other day I went in and the lbs had a caad 10 105, road that and the geometry was more what I'm used to. Caad 10 was a pretty smooth ride and did seem quite fast, however, I can vouch for Kneejerks toptube test. Squeeze the top and bottom right in the middle of the top tube and you can see the sides bow out. Kinda makes me nervous and wondering about longevity.

Kneejerk, or anyone else who has ridden both, how do the two frames compare? Is the ride similar or is the the CAAD 10 much smoother. I like speed and am used to traditional race bike geometry but ride a lot on country roads which can have "gravel" like surface texture.
    I don't think any Aluminum frame is going to be as smooth as a high end carbon fiber frame that is designed to be smooth. I haven't spent any extended time in the saddle of a aluminum Synapse and I have not test ridden a Caad10 yet. I know my Caad9 and it gets a little rough on rougher roads, to the point I have to get off the saddle a bit to calm it down. Road bikes with skinny tires (I run 23mm) are never going to give you the comfort of something that uses a larger tire. Tires go a long ways to making a ride more comfortable. Just going with a 25mm width tire would increase the bump performance quite a bit (I imagine).

I have no problems riding my Caad9 on gravel type roads. I used to have a Trek 5.2 OCLV Madone and it was noticably smoother through rough stuff, that's all I can say.

My plan to smooth out my Caad9 if I feel the need to will lead me to getting a carbon fiber wheelset. I think that should go a long way of reducing vibration created by road irregularities. Although, it will cost just about as much as getting a "smoother" carbon fiber frame.

There are a lot of "race" geometry Aluminum frames available, if you are also looking for comfort you may be looking at the wrong material. Now, there is comfort in getting a proper ergonomic setup on the bike (fit). The vibration properties of the frame or bike is somewhat a secondary factor to fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    for 950 with a 105 that's a very, very good deal. pound for pound, that might be one of the best all aluminum bikes. ever.

saw one in my size wasnt crazy about the red, if it had been grey at the closeout price i might have thought long and hard on it, would have been my third all alu. but i think it would have been worth it, i seen some bad dudes kicking butt on the 9

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Put some new shoes on [IMG]IMG_8975[/IMG]

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I just picked up a CAAD 9 5 with 105 . I haven't ridden it yet , but i have ridden a CAAD10 in the past. the CAAD 10 is far from flimsy, so I look forward to a comparison at the weekend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    i'm sayin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    double sorry

RoadBikeReview Member
    hahaha... only the top tube on the Caad10 is flimsy to the touch, nothing to do with ride quality, I bet it does ride nicely,
    I know that Trek used to put a warning in the owners manuals to not squeeze tubes by hand as it could compromise them, I wonder if Cannondale is doing the same for the Caad10 (probably not, me thinks)

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyNY
    I just picked up a CAAD 9 5 with 105 . I haven't ridden it yet , but i have ridden a CAAD10 in the past. the CAAD 10 is far from flimsy, so I look forward to a comparison at the weekend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Please tell me where you can get a caad 5 for $950? What is ODT or OTD? I'm about to pay 1599 for a 9 4 at LBS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast