Thread: Cannondale R800

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

Cannondale R800

Ok so im getting into road biking just for the pure fact of cross training for marathons. Hopeing to do Tri's one day though. I have a chance to purchase a Cannondale R800 model Guy says its a 2003ish for $550 and he will throw in shoes with cleats, here is the ad.
    A Cannondale R800 in EXCELLENT CONDITION! FRAME SIZE 55cm! I bought this back as a spare rider from a dealer that had gone out of business. The bike was 'NEW' old stock left over from a few years before I bought it. I have had the bike about 3 years now and have ridden it ONLY 3 TIMES! The bike's components include:
    - Shimano 105 53-39 double crankset in the front
    - Rear bracket is 8 gears (21, 19, 17, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11)
    - Shimano 600 Rear de-railer
    - Shimano RX100 Combination Shifter/Brake Handles
    - Shimano 105 Brakes
    - 26" X 3/4" Wheels
    See pictures for more detail!

Ive been to a LBS to be fitted and know it fits, but with just wanting to cross train cant seem to spend a 1,000 plus on new. So just wondering if this is a good deal? The only thing I dont like is the 26" wheels, they just look tiny compare to a 700c. Is there a diffrence between the 2?

THanks
    D
    Attached Images Attached Images     

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    That's definitely not 2003. Looks more like 96-97 to me. Also, looks much larger than 55, more like a 58-60 to me

I'd say that you could do better with 550$

cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Got any suggestions for me? Ive been looking on ebay/craigslist for about a week straight and this seems to be the only thing to pop up with 105 or better. Ive been to lbs and a few flea markets but no luck. I would really like newer, I did see a trek 1.2 tonight that i LOVED for 859 but I cant do justice for only going to be ridding 2 to 3 times a week. Is there anywhere else that I should look?

Thanks

CHL
    Naso Unicornis
    The bike is definitely not a 2003 models. The Shimano RX100 is a very old group that was positioned between the 105 line and their lowest line (RSX, I think). The bike pictured has 1 inch head tube with a standard quill stem. This makes it something like a late 90s model. $550 would strike me as steep for a bike that is probably over 10 years old.

Also, that does not look like a 55cm bike frame. That looks more like a 58 or 60cm frame to me. The head tube is very long for a 55cm. Also, I don't believe cannondale made frames in odd number increments. When I bought my 1998 R300, they started at 48cm in 2 cm increments. You could probably do better imho.

CHL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    Got to be 63cm at least.
    My next vehicle would be a zamboni
    2012 Super Six (Chorus 11)
    2011 Super Six Team edition (Super Record 11)
    2009 Super Six HM (Super Record 11)
    2007 Systems Six (Record 10)
    2008 Caad 9 (Centaur 10)
    2004 Caad 7 ( sold )
    2000 Caad 3 ( sold )

Did Cannondale really make 650c wheeled road bikes? If so, that would throw off the "size-by-picture-o-meter"

Regardless....
    The parts are crap for that price.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Did Cannondale really make 650c wheeled road bikes?

yes, but mostly on touring bikes or of course tri bikes...that frame has to be a 60 or +. offer $400 ish and ride the heck out of it..