RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

How much does my 2006 R1000 CAAD8 weigh?

Hi,

I recently bought a used '06 R1000 CAAD8 (Ultegra), 54cm. I know, i should use a scale, but I don't trust my bathroom scale. Anyone have an ~ idea how much this bike weighs?

Thanks, Brad

Frame & Fork
    Frame Tubing Material CAAD8 Optimo
    Fork Brand & Model Slice Premium
    Fork Material Carbon fiber

Components
    Component Group Shimano Ultegra
    Crankset Shimano Ultegra, 39/53 teeth
    Rear Cogs 10-speed, 12 - 25 teeth
    Chain Shimano Ultegra
    Seatpost Cannondale Carbon-wrapped
    Saddle Fizik arione
    Handlebar Cannondale Fire
    Handlebar Stem Cannondale Fire 3-D Forged
    Headset FSA Alloy integrated

Wheels
    Hubs Mavic Ksyrium Equipe
    Rims Mavic Ksyrium Equipe
    Tires 700 x 23c Conti Grand Prix
    Spoke Brand Mavic
    Spoke Nipples Unspecified
    Last edited by bwwROADBIKE; 10-26-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: I'm a bad spelller

On a different mission...
    Weighed a stock one a few years ago, in 54cm. It was 21 pounds without pedals.
    2007 Cannondale SystemSix1 - Full Dura Ace; Campagnolo Shamal Ultra SOLD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Trust your bathroom scale if it's consistent.

weigh yourself and take note.
    weigh yourself and the bike.
    Subtract.

Rinse and repeat 3 times.

If you get the same weight, you're good. If you want to get more into it, you are going to have to get one of those hanger scales. Or, go buy something at an LBS that you need. Have your bike with you and ask them to weigh it since you just started out.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Oh, and that crankset and cassette gearing can be a little tall for a beginner.

Maybe look at an 11-28 if you seem to spend most of your time in the small (39) front ring

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Oh, and since you're already starting down the weight road, let me say it's mostly about the engine not the bike. You'll see vast improvements as a beginner working on you, the engine, vs tweaking your bike.

Despite what the rules say, and what people seem to blabber off here, it's about the engine...........not the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Oh, and that crankset and cassette gearing can be a little tall for a beginner.

Maybe look at an 11-28 if you seem to spend most of your time in the small (39) front ring
    Funny you say that ... Seems I'm always riding right between the small and big ring and was wondering how to getvaway from that. Thanks.

21#. I would have guessed less, but honestly have no idea. Ill break out the scale tomorrow and also weigh my wife's trek lexa slx (wsd).

Thanks. Brad

On a different mission...
    Bike we weighed had heavy, wire-bead CST tires on it. Here is the identical bike sold on eBay recently. Slightly over 19lbs is about correct:

2006 Cannondale R1000 CAAD 8 Road Bike 54cm Nice! | eBay
    2007 Cannondale SystemSix1 - Full Dura Ace; Campagnolo Shamal Ultra SOLD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Bike we weighed had heavy, wire-bead CST tires on it. Here is the identical bike sold on eBay recently. Slightly over 19lbs is about correct:

2006 Cannondale R1000 CAAD 8 Road Bike 54cm Nice! | eBay
    Zachariah, thanks for the post. Good to see it selling for $850. I picked mine up for $700 w/ full ultegra and upgrade seat/seatpost. My wheels could be lighter depending on which Shimano are on there.

Only reason I ask weight is because I look at new, CF bikes and wonder what the weight gain would be. I suppose I could easily drop 1/2-1 pound w/ a new set of wheels. With that said, my commitment to my wife is to put some miles on it before thinking about dropping more cash into my new hobby (one of many).

CAADalyst
    I bought that same bike last year used and stock it sat at 20lbs but id guess yours is in the 19 lb range. Iv swapped out some parts over the last year and now have it a little over 17.5. Wheels and tires is where i lost most my weight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBer4life View Post
    I bought that same bike last year used and stock it sat at 20lbs but id guess yours is in the 19 lb range. Iv swapped out some parts over the last year and now have it a little over 17.5. Wheels and tires is where i lost most my weight.
    Thanks MTBer4life.

RoadBikeReview Member

19.4 LBs for a 60

Bought my 60 2006 Caad 8 R1000 $850 in January. It has the stock Truvativ carbon crank and Ksryium Elites. I swapped out the bars for FSA compacts and the stem for an Eleven81.
    With a full saddle bag and 105 peddles it comes in at 19.4 LBs on my local shops scale

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NolesOrNothing View Post
    Bought my 60 2006 Caad 8 R1000 $850 in January. It has the stock Truvativ carbon crank and Ksryium Elites. I swapped out the bars for FSA compacts and the stem for an Eleven81.
    With a full saddle bag and 105 peddles it comes in at 19.4 LBs on my local shops scale
    Noles, you have an '05 which is a better equipped bike (crankset, wheels, and cockpit). That's a nicer ride. I'm guessing mine is just shy of 20# based on your feedback and the others.

BikePedia - 2005 Cannondale R1000 Complete Bicycle

RoadBikeReview Member
    bww, Thanks for update and link. I agree and the 05 flat black frame still gets lots of compliments.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    My 2005 R700 is way lighter than a lot of the carbon bikes I look at, handles well and accellerates incredibly. Your caad 8 is likely a little heavier, but has more relaxed geometry. Mine was an impulse purchase, beautifull and responsive, but the geometry makes it a real rack for my old bod. I end up riding less because its a little twitchy for our choppy oil and chip blacktop, throw in some loose gravel and way less than perfect pavement, on the other hand about 4 miles out of town the most beautifull tarmac you've ever seen, it jumps about 2 mph as soon as you hit and then its gorgeous and earns her keep, I looking for a caad 8 now myself, and hoping I don't loose to much on a trade.