RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Looking to upgrade CAAD 7 with a CAAD 12, but what size ?

Hi Hi,

I am looking at finally making the jump from a CAAD 7 to a CAAD 12. The CAAD 7 I have is a 54cm, but I have been reading (mostly on here) about the change in geometry of the 2017 CAAD 12 frameset. Any advice on what size I should get will be gratefully received.

Cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    In the 54 cm size I'm not seeing any significant differences. Stack and reach are identical. As are tube lengths etc. See for yourself. There is a difference in the standover dimension which is hard to explain given that the stack and BB height dimensions are virtually identical. Errors do creep into these charts sometimes, like the labelling errors.

Last edited by bikerjulio; 6 Days Ago at 06:12 AM.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Seat tube length.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes, but the way Cannondale show it, it's irrelevant. The important thing is the angle.

There's something not quite right anyway (other than the messed up A and B labels), In that the older frames had a horizontal TT, and the new ones look even more horizontal.

If stack, reach, TT, HT, wheelbase, setback, and all the angles are the same, then for all practical purposes, the frames are interchangeable.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Yes, but the way Cannondale show it, it's irrelevant. The important thing is the angle.

There's something not quite right anyway (other than the messed up A and B labels), In that the older frames had a horizontal TT, and the new ones look even more horizontal.

If stack, reach, TT, HT, wheelbase, setback, and all the angles are the same, then for all practical purposes, the frames are interchangeable.
    If the TT is "even more horizontal" that would raise the stand over height, seeing as the HT length stayed the same. And the taller TT and longer stand over looks to run thru all sizes, so I would guess that they leveled the TT or erred across the board with their figures.

If the top chart is for the CAAD7, could the 7 have a sloping TT and the 12 a level TT? That would explain the taller ST and longer stand over.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    If the TT is "even more horizontal" that would raise the stand over height, seeing as the HT length stayed the same. And the taller TT and longer stand over looks to run thru all sizes, so I would guess that they leveled the TT or erred across the board with their figures.

If the top chart is for the CAAD7, could the 7 have a sloping TT and the 12 a level TT? That would explain the taller ST and longer stand over.
    One nice thing about Cannondale is that they stuck to the same geometry since the beginning of time. I don't believe there was any change between the CAAD5, that I have here and the CAAD7. And my CAAD TT is dead horizontal, or at least within a few mm of horizontal. The "more horizontal" was my feeble attempt at humor.

A picture is worth many words, and if anything the CAAD12 appears to slope a little, which you would think would reduce the standover. But no. So there is a little bit of mystery, but I don't see anything worth worrying about.

Looking to upgrade CAAD 7 with a CAAD 12, but what size ?-mku2qo.jpg

Last edited by bikerjulio; 6 Days Ago at 03:07 PM.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    A 54cm it is then. Thanks bikerjulio !