Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TDFbound View Post
    MMsRepBike- I think your response makes the most sense to me. I am looking for a bike that offers a comfortable ride without sacrificing my aggressive position, which I feel is very efficient. I think my fit will be pushing the limits of the Synapse's adjustability, but is possible. Unfortunately the current wait time for one of the new bikes with their Save System cockpit is into October! My local shop did just take delivery of a 105 equipped bike in my size though, so I'm going to head over there and see how close I can set it up to my current bike, just to be sure on fitting before I order one. They have the Synapse Carbon Disc with 105 on it, frame is a beautiful midnight blue metal flake with neon yellow logo and accents.
    Yeah, that's the "Midnight" paint scheme and it is good looking. I am interested in hearing what you think of it once you check it out. I hear the Trek Domane is another race oriented endurance bike that's fun and comfortable to ride. I think those are my two favorites on the endurance bike front. I like the Madone and the Orbea Orca Aero on the "race/aero" side and the new BMC Teammachine and Cervelo R5 from the "all-around/climbing category" if you subscribe to such classifications. Not sure which direction I would go in if I had to choose just one...
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Another bike with a downtube socket for the Di2 charger.

Forever a Student

The hole is gone for the "standard mod" version.

Need to buy the Hi-Mod version now to get the "Power Pyramid" design.

use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's true the discerning rider can largely fit themselves almost identically be it a racer or endurancer. I say almost. The fits are never exactly identical. I've had several models of the Evo HM and the Synapse HM and in both cases I tended to fit almost subject to adjusting position the same regardless of the frame. Curiously the Synapse is a better bike even for racing than than the Evo. I would say the Synapse is still a better bike overall.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by lostPixels View Post
    Except for that stem. That's the ugliest thing that I've ever seen.
    I was just looking on their site, and they have removed the "SAVE System" bar and stem from every Synapse model. Most have a basic aluminum bar/stem combo now, but for the same low price as when they were originally advertised with the nifty carbon bar/stem combo. Either they're hoping customers don't notice until its too late, seeing as they've already taken pre-orders for them when they were advertised with the carbon bar/stem, or they need to plan on taking some bikes back as returns when they show up at the shop with a different parts spec as advertised than at the time the order was placed. I, for one, was really looking forward to that feature of the bike.

Forever a Student
    I was just looking on their site, and they have removed the "SAVE System" bar and stem from every Synapse model. Most have a basic aluminum bar/stem combo now, but for the same low price as when they were originally advertised with the nifty carbon bar/stem combo. Either they're hoping customers don't notice until its too late, seeing as they've already taken pre-orders for them when they were advertised with the carbon bar/stem, or they need to plan on taking some bikes back as returns when they show up at the shop with a different parts spec as advertised than at the time the order was placed. I, for one, was really looking forward to that feature of the bike.
    This is correct.

The bar/stem combo that I showed pictures of existing will not exist until the 2019 year model.

As for the price in consideration to that not being available to normal customers... good luck.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    This is correct.

The bar/stem combo that I showed pictures of existing will not exist until the 2019 year model.

As for the price in consideration to that not being available to normal customers... good luck.
    It was advertised as being on the 2018 models available this Fall. In the past couple weeks, they have changed the parts spec on each model and have removed all information about it from their site. They were making a big deal about it with so many places it was mentioned, but now it is gone. One of their bikes is still pictured with it too but the parts spec says something different. It looks like they photoshopped the images to put different ones on the other pictures, or at least some of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    The whole switcharoo thing seems kind of unprofessional to me. I am sure they ran into some manufacturing or delivery snag, but just say so on your website or something. Don't act like the heavily marketed part never existed. Just silly. It's still a nice looking bike either way, but I am sure it will have people questioning how much they should be spending on certain models.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    The whole switcharoo thing seems kind of unprofessional to me. I am sure they ran into some manufacturing or delivery snag, but just say so on your website or something. Don't act like the heavily marketed part never existed. Just silly. It's still a nice looking bike either way, but I am sure it will have people questioning how much they should be spending on certain models.
    Especially considering they have already been taking orders for them, including payment from the customers. I would think a similar bar/stem combo would run upwards of $200 retail, so to see the price remain the same, especilly on a $3500 bike, is a bit disappointing and has me looking for other bikes at the moment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Especially considering they have already been taking orders for them, including payment from the customers. I would think a similar bar/stem combo would run upwards of $200 retail, so to see the price remain the same, especilly on a $3500 bike, is a bit disappointing and has me looking for other bikes at the moment.
    A carbon bar and stem combo can run $300-$600 actually. Hey, I hear ya. Get what makes you feel like your money has been well spent. Oh, and I posted an update on my race in the other forum.

Forever a Student
    Agreed.

Especially seeing how, at their official launch, the bikes had the bar/stem combo.

Granted, they were clear in saying that they would not be available for customers, but why were they there? Why allow them to be photographed on the bikes at the launch?

Very unprofessional.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Agreed.

Especially seeing how, at their official launch, the bikes had the bar/stem combo.

Granted, they were clear in saying that they would not be available for customers, but why were they there? Why allow them to be photographed on the bikes at the launch?

Very unprofessional.
    I never saw anything that said they would not be available to customers, even on all the big articles about it. Each of four Cannondale dealers I visited all believed they were current spec, especially since Cannondale listed the parts as being included on 2018 bikes. I wonder how I could not have heard about that?

Forever a Student
    Seems like it was a problem they found last minute.

As in right before the launch photos I posted above.

Not enough time to rebuild the launch promo bikes but just enough time to let us know about it.

I probably should have wrote a note about it along with the pictures up there. But still, how they're handling it, whatever it is, going forward is playing out pretty sketchy. I would hope to hear that they're dropping prices/giving partial refunds or something.

Like I said before, this combo will not be available until the 2019 bikes come out a year from now. That's what they said anyway.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    I want them to tidy the frame up further. This means fewer plastics, fewer grooves, fewer slots, fewer slits, fewer appendages but smoother flows. C'dale the next bastion in bicycle design will be cleaner designs. Get it?? Some brands are already onto it. The complexity of discs is an added detriment to road bikes. Not sure how worth it discs are considering the added complexity and mentioned detriment given their non-resounding success.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I've put a 100 or so miles on the new Synapse. I like it, but don't love it; however it is a nice improvement over the previous model. I much prefer the Evo for the geometry and feel for myself.
    As for the bar/ stem combo. Cannondale had to go back and redesign their combo unit as they were having some problems with the pieces mating and staying torqued correctly over time. This will be rectified, but not for this year. Since this issues, they have removed the hi-mod models with these bars and have replaced them with their house brand carbon bars and aluminum stem. IMO this is a better solution as they are easier to fit to a rider.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12