Painfully Slow
    Jan 2006

R3000 Headset Problem

I'm working on a 2003 R3000, cleaning it up and getting it ready to sell.

Anyone ever dealt with the Campy Hiddenset on one of these? I was working on the headset and that the top cap was fatigued and cracked. Pulled it off, thinking I would just get a new compression plug and be done.

Here's where things went a little different. Since it's a carbon steerer, I was surprised to see a star nut stuffed down in the steerer tube. The top cap is about 1" deep, with some kind of bushing stuffed inside. Not really a compression plug like I was expecting, just a thick top cap inserted into the steerer tube and tightened down like a traditional threadless setup.

Is this normal for these C-Dales? Anyone have any suggestions?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    That top cap is Cdales answer to a compression plug. It's a much better solution, IMO. With the long top cap inserted, I doubt it is possible to crush the steerer, no matter how much you tightened the stem.

limit screwed
    Sep 2005
    It's normal. Ask your local 'Dale dealer about a topcap like that, they probably have one laying around.
    "They'll be making us a shoe made entirely of steel wool and canvas. Steel is real, wool is real, so it follows that steel wool is the realest material of them all."
    -buck-50